Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

337RLS Skylight, Roof Leak and Other Failures. Poor Build Quality and Quality Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rototerrier View Post
    GD also tried to tell me that the screw type didn’t matter and that they were just over torqued. That’s bs. A counter sink screw is not correct and will apply pressure where there should be none until the plastic eventually cracks.
    If you ever get completely erroneous information like this, please share it with one or more of the moderators via private message, and include the name of the person you gave you that info. We can get this information back to the customer service team for improvement opportunities.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by BC315RLTS View Post
      Number 1 has been a problem for years. My 2019 came from the factory with the same issue. I just don't get how they haven't figured it out yet??
      I had the #1 issue and called GD about it. I told them I identified this is a long time issue based on a web search and that they should have fixed it. The guy said the production line workers were new in that the new production workers had not been trained properly. I suggested they stop assembling until they had properly trained workers and he said they couldn't stop the assembly line for that. This was 2 years ago and they still haven't fixed it therefore my take is it is a conscious discussion to not calk because of added time and cost. I am underwhelmed?
      Tim
      2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
      2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

So I have my pickup scheduled for April 17 of my 2023 337RLS. When we looked at it last weekend, I noticed some water in the shower. I asked the salesman and he said it was because they had been prepping the unit (it was about to be sold to someone else a couple of weeks ago but their financing fell thru) I went and looked at it today and there was more water in the shower. I told him that I'd bet his paycheck that it was cracked on the roof and leaking in the skylight. He agreed that they would check/fix/replace it. It has been on their lot for about 100 days. I'm hoping that there isn't any sort of damage between the ceiling and the roof. I told the salesman I wanted to see pictures of the area when they replace the skylight showing no damage or mold in between the ceiling and roof.

I've made a list of the other problems you had to check for at the PDI.
        Jeff
        2017 F250 FX4, B&W Companion
        2023 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Tim View Post

I had the #1 issue and called GD about it. I told them I identified this is a long time issue based on a web search and that they should have fixed it. The guy said the production line workers were new in that the new production workers had not been trained properly. I suggested they stop assembling until they had properly trained workers and he said they couldn't stop the assembly line for that. This was 2 years ago and they still haven't fixed it therefore my take is it is a conscious discussion to not calk because of added time and cost. I am underwhelmed?
          I solved our leaking shower door once and for all. Its sitting on a shelf in the back of my barn. We replaced it with a shower rod and curtain. Much easier to clean and no more caulk hassles.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2024 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas with faux Allison 10 speed. Nellie the Diva, wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by rototerrier View Post
            13) Not a lot we can do about this one but we have visible gaps in the roof underlayment between panels. You can see and feel the air gaps thru the roof membrane. We've had an inspector out who indicated he's seen this often and it shouldn't be an issue but it's definitely not optimal.
            After discovering our drywall screws in the skylight, I also found a puncture hole in my roof from a tree branch. I repaired while we were on the road but filed a claim and had the adjuster look at the coach while it was at the shop...and prior to the warranty skylight repair.

I had also noticed the gaps between the roof decking on several panels. In fact, I believe that is how this small branch was able to puncture the roof (1/2 penny-sized hole). You can see where it slid down the roof, hit the gap, put a hole in the membrane, and then kept sliding down the roof.

The service rep at the dealer thought the gaps were odd too.

The adjuster had never seen gaps before either and also found 3 other pieces of decking with these 1/2 inch gaps. The rest of the decking had gaps of 1/8 inch. He told the service rep to call him back when they get the roof off so he could take a look at the decking and see if the tree branch caused the decking to move or if it was there originally.

After reading your post, it seems that Grand Design is at fault.
            Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
            2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
            2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

Originally posted by Techwiz View Post
              I'm hoping that there isn't any sort of damage between the ceiling and the roof. I told the salesman I wanted to see pictures of the area when they replace the skylight showing no damage or mold in between the ceiling and roof.
              One of the quotes from an old boss that has never left me is Hope is not a strategy.

If I may...a suggestion: the interior garnish ring is held in place by four screws. The pic below is a Maxxair fan, but the OEM unit uses the same garnish.

With the garnish removed you can see the space between the roof and interior (framing). I'd insist on them dropping that ring and doing a physical inspection myself to ensure there's no mold or other damage. If there was mold or any sign of water damage...I'd walk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	garnish.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	109746

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you, Howard. That is an awesome quote and a great suggestion. I will absolutely do that. I actually noticed that it appeared that the inside plate was a little overtightened in that the corner edges push out away from the ceiling just a hair.
                Jeff
                2017 F250 FX4, B&W Companion
                2023 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

What happened to GD? As they came on the scene years ago I wanted to own one (and now I do) but they are no different than any other manufacturer. They may have some superior materials and even assembly techniques but if you don't stop or at least slow down and train assemblers then it's all out the window. I have fixed many mostly small things since our purchase even reset the potty because it leaked on the floor. So much sawdust under there no wonder it leaked. Just so disappointing after plunking down 100k.
                  2023 Momentum 351MS pulled by Casper, Tri-Coat Platinum 2012 F350 Super Cab single RW 4WD. Toys: 2003 Screaming Eagle Deuce, 2003 Screamin Eagle Roadking, 2017 CVO Ultra Limited. Secured in garage with B&W Biker Bars.

Comment

Working...
                  X