Securing Free Standing Furniture for Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing Free Standing Furniture for Travel

This may sound like a dumb question, but how does GD make provisions to secure free standing dinning sets or chairs during travel? At the rally DW and I bought some Amish furniture including lay flay reclining rockers and side tables that elevate for eating and computer usage. I will be removing the chase lounge/hide a bed? I have one exterior wall to tie too and the Bathl/living wall that is wood framed and I think has a 2x1 1/2 at the base. Does the exterior wall have a wood filled aluminum tube in the wall at the base? The floor is composite foam,aluminum framing and lulan. I think my stud finder can find the aluminum.

Any photos you have of how you secure things would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith,

Our dining chairs have a D-ring on the floor. To secure for travel, you flip one chair on top of the other and using a web strap cinch them straight down over the top.

If it's not raining (finally) tomorrow I will see if I can get a picture for you.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Keith - We added some new furniture in our Reflection TT earlier this year. I secured most of it to the floor with screws and L-brackets. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Along with what Joseph said, in our 303 the recliners are screwed down to the floor. (mine actually weren't originally). But you need to pay attention to screw length if it's on a slide.
        In our previous Titanium 5er, none of the the furniture was secured. Not the stand alone dinette chairs, the dining table, or the sofa bed. After years (2006-2020) of travel we never found them out of place upon entering the trailer. Not saying don't bother to fasten down...just a little trivia.... that fastening doesn't need to be super strong I don't think.
        I would not fasten to a wall.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Thanks everyone - gives me some ideas and options. I like the floor D-ring idea along the parameter Thanks Joseph Jlawles2
          TucsonJim Jim - is there a way to get a picture (snip-it) of the wall framing and floor framing in the 220RK living room area? Street side lower wall and floor. Of should I email GD?. Hopefully with a few rough dimensions. Would a least get me close. I have located a few wall studs under the window, but the floor is being secretive, especially around the parameter. My stud finder is giving a lot of readings which don't really make sense unless there is a metal reinforcement plate along the edge for the wall to screw into. I was assuming there was just a perimeter aluminum tube for the wall to screw to..
          Scott'n'Wendy Scott - we currently store a small single step stool on the floor (rubber feet) along with a few other items. They all seem to move around a lot on the vinyl floor.

Thanks for any pictures folks.

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda - Sorry brotha. I don't have drawings for your model. Call GDRV and ask them. They should be able to send you the complete drawing.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              Yoda - Sorry brotha. I don't have drawings for your model. Call GDRV and ask them. They should be able to send you the complete drawing.

Jim
              Thanks
              I guess I do have an orphan unit

Comment

RecPro has strap tiedowns similar to what was in my previous trailer to tie down dinette chairs and swivel rockers. The 'd-rings' were screwed to the floor.
                https://www.recpro.com/rv-furniture-tie-down-straps-86/
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Our Reflection originally had straps to tie the dinette chairs to each other (on each side of the table) but there was no fastening to the floor. We did this for a while but eventually stopped because even without the straps, these light weigh chairs did not seem to move around much. We do have quilted fabric "travel" covers (made by Cate) for the table and the chair backs, so that if they bump into each other or the wall, they will not leave a mark.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

An update to this thread on getting structure information.

I called GD customer service this morning WOW!!!! After listening to the menu choices and hitting 4, Lucas picked up on the 3rd ring. After explaining what I was hoping to get and giving him my Vin he was able to dig up the plans and sent me what I needed. He was initially concerned they were archived. I just open up the files and it is exactly what I need with dimensions, so I can measure.

Jim TucsonJim I asked if he could send you the complete set so you have them for the future and he was going to check into that. I can forward them to you if you want for the records. I also know not to post them too.

Now one assumption I am making is the wall framing/panels, sits on top of the floor framing. Is that a correct assumption?

Keith

Comment

Yes the walls sit on top of the floor.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We have travel covers over our dining chairs that Deb made then we put a piece of pool noodle on the outward sides of both chairs on travel days. When the slide is in, the pool noodles touch the island and exterior wall keeping the chairs steady. I would send photos but our rig is still out for repair. We only use two chairs and have placed two folding chairs under the bed for when we need four chairs. We lay our side tables down beside the dining table and they ride well there.
                        Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
                        2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Yoda Sorry it took so long finally made it out to the camper (30 ft from the front door) to check for leaks and remembered to grab the pic of chair tie down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	233
Size:	908.8 KB
ID:	121389

Done this on 2 different campers and it's continued to work. Chairs can be rotated 90 if needed.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yoda Ad for this just popped up: https://www.morryde.com/products/mor...ddy-cb56-001h/
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                            X