Gas cans in pass through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas cans in pass through

I have all my solar stuff in the pass through. We are going to Alaska next year and I want to carry 2 X 5 gallon gas cans. Can they be stored in the pass through also? My only other option is on a roof rack on the car.
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

cvretis -- I suspect you already know the answer...the potential for highly flammable vapor in a closed compartment where there's the possibility of a spark...not worth the risk.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

My first reaction was the same as howson . But then I remembered I have a quart of lighter fluid in my pass through. Then I remembered the awful gas fumes my old Honda CT110 trail had in the garage before I got the fuel lines replaced on it. Then I remembered that gas cans are vented to allow fumes to escape when the gas cans change temperatures. Then I remembered some of the laws involving transporting propane tanks, like not being transported in a non-vented area. Then I thought about the lawnmowers gallon gas cans I used to put in the trunk of the car. Then I thought about the Jerry cans of fuel we used to mount on the Jeeps.

I have done some stupid stuff in my life and gotten away with most of it. But I think I would carry the gas cans where the fumes will dissipate and not concentrate while bumping down the highway to Alaska.
      2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
      2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
      E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
      Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

I take fewer and fewer chances as I get older. Nowadays I even worry about carrying those little green propane canisters that fuel our small BBQ stove.

I do tend to over-think some things... according to my DW
        Ruth and Patrick
        2022 Transcend 200MK
        2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Comment

I believe there are regulations regarding the amount of gasoline that can be carried in portable containers. They may vary from state to state.
          I am assuming that youre traveling with a bumper pull trailer ? I carry a few gallons when traveling but I have a fifth wheel and I carry the gas in the bed of my truck in a spill proof safety can.
          I would advise against placing a flammable liquid on the roof of any vehicle, a container failure would create a supremely hazardous condition.
          If you did carry gas in a compartment I would for certain use a safety can which would limit you to just a few gallons.
          Its always nice to have extra fuel especially in a sparsely populated area, unfortunately there arent many safe and legal options.

Here is an example of the regulations surrounding gasoline transport. https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/ope...asoline-diesel
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

If you're heading to Alaska, make sure you check the regulations for transporting fuel cans not only in the USA, but also Canada.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post
              I have all my solar stuff in the pass through. We are going to Alaska next year and I want to carry 2 X 5 gallon gas cans. Can they be stored in the pass through also? My only other option is on a roof rack on the car.
              You don't list what trailer you have so I am going to say NO - don't even think about it. The pass through is open to the rest of the trailer on most models. Can you carry in the back of the TV? That what I plan to do with a rack to hold them in place. Possibly an approved rack on the back of the trailer.

Now having said that I do carry a 1 gallon can of Colman fuel and a bottle of charcoal lighter (neither have vents) in the tray of my pass through by the door. The tray has a hole in it I leave open. All of my Victron equipment is in the front bay of the 5th wheel. so I don't have anything flammable there and I made sure my battery box is fully vented (top and bottom) I am thinking of a way to store both next to the propane bottles (some sort of tray) as that area is fully vented.

TucsonJim Great suggestion on the Canada regulations as I am headed the same place. Any idea where to look or maybe Rob knows. Cate&Rob .

Be safe
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Would anyone have first hand experience in making the trek to Alaska and up the Alcan highway? Any advice in the distance between stations and where to be sure and fill up? I carry a 6 gallon can filled to 5 gallons for week long boondocking trips where at 10 mpg I can drive at a minimum of 50 miles on five gallons. There are off road cans available but I would be cautious about their use for on road.

Here is a link to DOT approved cans but as Jim stated, care needs to be taken when traveling through Canada. I have a mace story in regard to Canada. LOL.

Also having an alternate or larger fuel tank in the TV is an option.

https://www.justrite.com/catalogsear...20cans%20EXACT

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

To the best of my Canadian knowledge.....

Limit of 150kg per vehicle including the weight of the containers. This is about six 5 gallon gerry cans and gerry cans must be approved for transporting gasoline.

But I have seen trailers with four quads and at least eight jerry cans rolling down the hwy.....
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Yoda

Confirming that the info quoted by Scott’n’Wendy appears to be the federal Transport Canada regulation for all of Canada. It would be good to get feedback from someone who has recently travelled this route. I don’t think it is as “remote” as it used to be.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      Would anyone have first hand experience in making the trek to Alaska and up the Alcan highway? Any advice in the distance between stations and where to be sure and fill up? I carry a 6 gallon can filled to 5 gallons for week long boondocking trips where at 10 mpg I can drive at a minimum of 60 miles on six gallons. There are off road cans available but I would be cautious about their use for on road.

Here is a link to DOT approved cans but as Jim stated, care needs to be taken when traveling through Canada. I have a mace story in regard to Canada. LOL.

Also having an alternate or larger fuel tank in the TV is an option.

https://www.justrite.com/catalogsear...20cans%20EXACT

Jim
                      Jim
                      I got the 2021 version of the Milepost Book (look on Amazon). Haven't made a big dent in it yet, but it is full of information (Mile by Mile) on the various routes, and side trips. From the information contained within and from my brothers discussion with a neighbor who made the trip a few years ago, Fuel is not a problem - just plan ahead. It also has information on regulations, but I haven't read that yet. We are headed that way first part of July - Hope to see a lot of you on the road. Look for my picture on the spare tire cover

Also Google Maps can show you fuel stops - they appear to match up with the mile post book.

Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Jim
                        I got the 2021 version of the Milepost Book (look on Amazon). Haven't made a big dent in it yet, but it is full of information (Mile by Mile) on the various routes, and side trips. From the information contained within and from my brothers discussion with a neighbor who made the trip a few years ago, Fuel is not a problem - just plan ahead. It also has information on regulations, but I haven't read that yet. We are headed that way first part of July - Hope to see a lot of you on the road. Look for my picture on the spare tire cover

Also Google Maps can show you fuel stops - they appear to match up with the mile post book.

Keith
                        Keith,

This is great information that helps to alleviate the concern with fuel. Weapons or types of weapons would be another one to watch out for.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I have resolved this, going to buy a new F150 and ditch the expedition.
                          2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post
                            Thanks for all the replies. I have resolved this, going to buy a new F150 and ditch the expedition.
                            Double check the towing and CC capacity before you buy. I am going to guess you may be close to the towing limits unless you get the High capacity package, and not just the tow package offered. I think Rob Cate&Rob can enplane better as he towed with a 150 for a while. The F250 or F350 are not much more money and are a more capable truck . Just my opinion for what it is worth

Comment

cvretis

When you go shopping for an F150 . . . specifically look for the HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package) version. This is well beyond the capability of "Max Tow" despite the many dealers who will claim that these are the same thing. HDPP gets you a stronger drivetrain and suspension plus LT truck tires (rather than the passenger car tires on most F150s). HDPP is in the Ford order guide but you will have to look for it and point it out to your dealer. Also, don't let the dealer talk you into the V8 as the engine for towing . . . the Ecoboost Turbocharged V6 has a far better torque curve for towing. This will likely have to be a factory ordered truck . . . but, that is the state of the entire business these days. I did tow our Reflection 5th wheel many thousands of miles with a properly equipped F150, with no problems.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X