Saddle Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle Boxes

Our 303 has plastic 'bins' on either side of the basement compartments. Both of these bins have cracked. I'm about to put in the new bin sent by GD. Putting a plain ol' #8 screw through it to attach it causes it to crack - eventually. What would be the best way to attach the new bins? I'm thinking of using roofing screws that have a rubber washer under the pan head as well as pre-drilling the plastic to slightly larger than the screw shank diameter.
    Thoughts anybody?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Predrill is a good idea. Hadn't thought about roofing screws with the washer; they will set prouder, higher.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

If/when mine go, I may put my cheapie Harbor Freight Break ($68) to use and bend some aluminum roof flashing material to make a box that just fits inside the plastic bin and then pre-drill and fasten as usual. That way the weight and stresses are taken by the aluminum not the crackable plastic. Or at least less stress on the plastic.

Just a thought anyway.

Terry
      Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
      2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
      2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

I was able to repair mine - braced the base with some aluminum angle . https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...dle-box-repair The new one will crack too depending on the weight you add.
        Keith
        Last edited by Yoda; 09-22-2022, 12:37 AM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Pre-drilling the holes and using roofing screws with washers, both sound like good ideas. The learning, for all of us with these plastic bins, is that they will only support the storage of light weight items.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
            I was able to repair mine - braced the base with some aluminum angle . https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...dle-box-repair The new one will c rack too depending on the weight you add.
            Keith
            I've kept mine empty except for a pair of gloves.....but still cracked.

Edit..actually took a look and keep the electrical adapters there on street side. But really I think these crack whether you have stuff in them or not. I'm thinking just the mounting screw being drilled through plastic sets it up to crack later.
            Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 09-01-2022, 05:37 AM.

Comment

I'll admit that I abuse mine a bit. 2 sets of lego levelers, the stinky slinky fan fold support, and various other things are all on the street side in the tray. I do realize it's just a matter of time before they decide to give up. At that time, I will most likely just fabricate a set with a few features I would like to have in them.

Pre drilling the holes is definitely a better way to go. For fasteners however I don't think I would go with roofing screws as they heads stick up too far. I would consider something like a modified truss head https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Phi...s%2C155&sr=1-2 or a domed head.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Roofing screw heads are a catch all sliding things in and out and imo will break the bins at that point. I replaced one bin (done under warranty by dealer) and when I got it back I took out the screws they used, purchased an alumimun threshold and rescrewed it all using self tapping pan head screws. See pic. I zoomed on a corner but this goes the width of the garage.
                SATA Adventurers
                Steve and Tina
                2021 Reflection 337RLS
                2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

Comment

SATA Adventures Picture did not upload. You may have to upload vs pasting the snip into the body.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Trying again on adding the pic.

​​​​​​​
                    SATA Adventurers
                    Steve and Tina
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS
                    2024 Chev Silverado 2500HD, Andersen ultimate

Comment

I used stainless steel screws and added an additional 8 screws per tray on the top mounting flange. I also added large fender washers on the screws to distribute the force of the screw to a larger area, taking pressure off just the hole. By doing this and carrying very little weight in the trays, I've not had any more cracks in the plastic around the screw holes.

If you intend to load these trays up, additional supports are going to have to be added.
                      2020 Reflection 273MK
                      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Hmmm. I like the threshold idea. Looks more finished as well.

Comment

A buddy of mine cut to fit tongue and groove 3/8" deck boards for the bottom of his. It works great.
                          Mark & Yvonne
                          2022 Reflection 303RLS
                          2021 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ
                          B&M turnover ball
                          Blue Ox Gooseneck-to-5th-Wheel Trailer Hitch Adapter

Comment

I got tired of replacing the screws in mine as they pulled out along the outside wall regardless of how much weight was in the tray. I decided to pull mine completely and fabricate a new tray out of wood. The original tray is supported on 3 sides by the aluminum framing so it is well supported. The only issue is the new tray could not be installed in one piece so I used my Kreg tool to piece it together in place. The wood was also laminated with 1/16th ABS sheet to make it relatively waterproof. There is also plenty of space under the chassis so I added extra depth to the tray.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.6 KB ID:	95371

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0527.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.5 KB ID:	95372
                            Reflection 297RSTS
                            Ram Laramie CC 2500 Hemi

Comment

Working...
                            X