X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our 2021 303RLS has a "AA" battery for ignitor power. Furrion stovetop
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Interesting! What stove is in your rig, Vivian? I've only seen the piezo igniter mentioned by Jim.

Howard it’s a furrion cooktop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AD4638D2-C774-41E3-B80F-0623F85229D2.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	101967
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
      Demco Recon

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy and Beachcamper -- I learned something! Always a good day when there's new info to stuff into my gray matter.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

In case anyone else was curious (like me) where the battery is located in the "Piezo" Furrion stovetop.

Name:	battery for stove.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	101974
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            I know you determined the issue, but I wanted to post this for future information in case someone comes across the thread.

A Suburban style stove does not use shore power or a battery to generate the ignition spark. When you rotate the knob, a self contained piezo igniter generates the spark to light the gas. It sparks at all three burners at the same time, so no matter which one you're trying to light it will encounter a spark.

If the piezo igniter fails, they are very simple to remove and replace.

Jim
            Jim,

To add to this, we had an issue shortly after purchasing our Imagine where the insulaton on the wires from the piezo igniter to each burner had shrunk and cracked all along their length. They were shorting to the stove chassis where the stove failed to ignite.

I called Atwood who mailed a new set of wires.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
              We have gas cooking etc in our house that combines the on- position with the igniter all on one knob, unlike the RV wherein of course the gas-on knob and the igniter knob are separate, so my brain was in the home-mode rather the RV mode, duh!
              We have all been there - some more that we will admit

I was wondering if the manual igniter quit and was going to suggest check the connection to the back. I have never had one fail. My gas grill had a battery operating one and it just fails to work usually, so I use a long stick butane lighter.

Thanks for posting the solution

Keith

Happy New Year
              Last edited by Yoda; 12-28-2022, 11:13 AM.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                Dave - I believe all the moderators (including myself) are planning on attending the National rally in '23. See you there!

Jim
                Boy there goes the neighborhood - I just might need to try and make it It is on the way to Georgia - right?

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Great, God willing, I’ll be there.
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                  GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                  SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

These piezo ignition stoves should have a flame sensor that when the gas valve is turned on and no ignition is encountered, the gas should turn off. Children and camping go hand in hand and some kids could easily be messing with the stove since its so easy to reach. Always bothered me that the potential for disaster was present in these RV stoves.

Jim

Comment

Guest Jim, I had issues lighting our stove. There is a setting in the control knob that kills gas flow until heat is detected (Murphy switch). So to light the stove: Turn the knob to light and press DOWN while pressing the ignitor, once flame is present release the ignitor continuing to hold the knob DOWN. After approx 15-30 seconds, the knob can be released and burner will stay lit.

Failure to press the knob down will result in a NO LIGHT situation (yeah cursed the stove for 5 min trying to get it lit), releasing early will result in FLAME OUT (kill of gas flow).
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Guest Jim, I had issues lighting our stove. There is a setting in the control knob that kills gas flow until heat is detected (Murphy switch). So to light the stove: Turn the knob to light and press DOWN while pressing the ignitor, once flame is present release the ignitor continuing to hold the knob DOWN. After approx 15-30 seconds, the knob can be released and burner will stay lit.

Failure to press the knob down will result in a NO LIGHT situation (yeah cursed the stove for 5 min trying to get it lit), releasing early will result in FLAME OUT (kill of gas flow).
                        Joseph,

Our Atwood stove will push gas all day long in its unlit state if a child turns the gas on. The only function on this stove that operates as you described is the oven. You must have a different brand where its nice to know this issue is being addressed. Our daughter would remove the knobs from her camper stove due to the same issue as ours.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                          These piezo ignition stoves should have a flame sensor that when the gas valve is turned on and no ignition is encountered, the gas should turn off. Children and camping go hand in hand and some kids could easily be messing with the stove since its so easy to reach. Always bothered me that the potential for disaster was present in these RV stoves.

Jim
                          That is the way our furrion works. There is a thermocouple close to the burner that needs to stay hot to continue gas flow.
                          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          2021 303RLS
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

A thermocouple on the oven burner is common across all RV stoves. I don’t think any have thermocouples on the top surface burners. The logic seems to be (and I don’t know this for a fact) that you will smell the propane from an open but unlit burner before it reaches combustible A/F ratio.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Guest Cate&Rob​ Jim and Rob, as stated by Scott the Furrion range tops have some type of sensor (most likely a thermocouple) that will stop the flow. I completely forgot about having to hold down the valve the first time I tried to lite the unit. In both of our other campers, neither had a safety like the Furrion does.​
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                                A thermocouple on the oven burner is common across all RV stoves. I don’t think any have thermocouples on the top surface burners. The logic seems to be (and I don’t know this for a fact) that you will smell the propane from an open but unlit burner before it reaches combustible A/F ratio.

Rob
                                And this is another reason to make sure your LP gas detector is clean and still within it's useful life.

Name:	Propane Alarm 1a.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	102140
                                Jim and Ginnie
                                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                                X