Starlink, Mobile and Home Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
    What I am trying to do is be able to use Starlink at home as well as on the road with the camper. What I have is the newest generation of Starlink, Gen 3 I believe. It has a kick stand and not the tripod mount as the previous version had. This is nice as there is less "parts" to move and store. The dilemma arises with the router and cable systems. The Gen 3 has a regular either net cable so that should be easy to get. The router is a different subject. I would like to obtain another router to leave in the camper and power it with 12 v dc. ncitro and I have talked a little bit about this. Hoping to get another router of some type. This is all beyond my knowledge and abilities to figure out.

Scott'n'Wendy has a congruent-similar thread going here Solar for remote camp - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​ but I thought I would pull this out of that thread for future searching.

So for anyone that has or is doing this help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
    This is the router that I used. It was cheap and easy and runs off 12v so nothing really to convert. Just remove the 120V power plug and wire the cord directly into your battery bank which is what I did. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

All my Starlink equipment is mounted in the front compartment for ease of use and etc. I added a bank of switches to control the power to the dishy and the router too.

Attached Files
    40-year Camping Enthusiast
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Another POE injector that has the dishy pinout
      https://www.amazon.ca/Overland-Injec...%2C135&sr=8-10

EDIT....I emailed overland...over a week ago....they never responded. So while their injector may work, customer service is non-existent. Just information so you can make up your own mind on this one.
      Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-19-2024, 07:51 AM.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

With all of these links we are going to have to figure out which is the best thing..... Plus is there any difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 as far as what can or should be used.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

With all of these links we are going to have to figure out which is the best thing..... Plus is there any difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 as far as what can or should be used.

Brian
          From what I have seen the pin out on the 2 and 3 is the same, so anything for a gen 2 that has already been adapted to ethernet (like what Scott posted in #17) SHOULD work. The ones that take the gen 2 proprietary dish cable will not as you do not have that connector on yours.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

What I am trying to do is be able to use Starlink at home as well as on the road with the camper. What I have is the newest generation of Starlink, Gen 3 I believe. It has a kick stand and not the tripod mount as the previous version had. This is nice as there is less "parts" to move and store. The dilemma arises with the router and cable systems. The Gen 3 has a regular either net cable so that should be easy to get. The router is a different subject. I would like to obtain another router to leave in the camper and power it with 12 v dc. ncitro and I have talked a little bit about this. Hoping to get another router of some type. This is all beyond my knowledge and abilities to figure out.

Scott'n'Wendy has a congruent-similar thread going here Solar for remote camp - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)​ but I thought I would pull this out of that thread for future searching.

So for anyone that has or is doing this help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
            Brian,

Did you sign up for the $120 residential plan or the $150 mobile plan?

Erik
            Erik & Tea
            2021 Reflection 297RSTS
            2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
            ProPride hitch

Comment

Brian
              It looks like Gen 2 and Gen 3 have the same wiring...just different connectors on the ends. So you get to save time by not having to crimp on your own RJ45 ends (or get an adapter) because you already have cables with RJ45 ends.So for your setup conversion you would need a 12vdc to 48vdc step up power supply.
              I'm going to go with these parts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYVSL53...v_ov_lig_dp_it
              going by wattage you could go smaller like this one https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Shark-W...%2C136&sr=1-10
              and be right at the matching wattage, but I like to have a power supply to be a little oversize. They are often a weak link in electronics. Wire in an on/off switch.
              Then you would need a POE injector. I like the one COReflection uses and has good feedback on, this one
              https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BX74T2T5...v_ov_lig_dp_it
              Looks like solid build quality with what looks like a durable package. **EDIT**Yaosheng has recently released 200w and 320w versions of the same thing with reverse polarity protection.
              Here is a link for the Overland POE dishy pinout injector
              https://www.amazon.com/Overland-Inje...0-4513d670b6bc
              **EDIT** I tried to contact overland electronics..no answer to two emails over two weeks...so poor customer service on that one.
              It's smaller size than the Yaosheng injector.
              Here is another kit, a Starlink injector and cable adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQLD84W4...1zcF9kZXRhaWwy
              Then you would just have to pick a router of your choice. I'm likely to go with this one.
              https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G...lig_dp_it&th=1
              ***edit I think I like this one better*** https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...6Y9EEQB&th=1
              Ifyou are like me, I want to leave the cable I have installed in the house...in the house. So I bought another cable for the RV. So you will need to mount and wire the PS and Injector. Then determine where you want you router. I think I'll put everything under the steps..we have similar floorplans..but you turned your steps into shoe storage so I don't know how much room you have left there. Wire the PS and router with 12vdc. Run a cat5e from the non poe injector port to the router. Connect your RV Starlink cable to the poe injector port. Coil it up close to wherever you are going to exit the trailer with it. I'm thinking where the water hose goes in.
              When you arrive at a campsite, all you have to do place the dish outside, run the cable to the dishy. Power up the PS and router and you should be good in a few minutes

This is what I'm going to do...soooo...if I have anything wrong, please call it out!
              Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-29-2024, 11:00 AM.
              2021 303RLS

Comment

LOL - somewhere back about post 3 Neil lost me in this thread . but that's OK. I am watching this and trying to learn and understand the terms (its fun to google and read up).

First what is a POE injector and what does it do? I am assuming the dishy pinout is the plug configuration from the dish or at the dish itself of some kind. Perhaps in the end I will understand the setup.

I listened to the Star Link folks at the National Rally, but alas I just could not comprehend everything but the price (ouch), especially with the pole mount that attached to the ladder and install costs. They made is sound like plug and play, but when others asked questions I quickly learned there was more to it.

Will having the star link set up give you internet (I am assuming it include access and you don't need to get another plan) about everywhere and as the router appears to be WiFI can you link your cell phone to it too so you don't need a booster or hotspot? Just trying to understand the basics and goal here

I will go back to my corner now and keep watching and reading.
                Thanks Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post

Brian,

Did you sign up for the $120 residential plan or the $150 mobile plan?

Erik
                  I signed up for mobile and after searching it looks like I can be residential or mobile but not sure yet. It would be nice to be residential during the winter months and mobile during camping season.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

Your list looks good. I think I need to add a short ethernet cord and should be good to go.

Thanks all. I guess we will need to do a installation post soon.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I signed up for mobile and after searching it looks like I can be residential or mobile but not sure yet. It would be nice to be residential during the winter months and mobile during camping season.

Brian
                      I know we have the mobile plan and I can shut it off/on as desired. We accidentally had ours configured for residential and then once we left the billing zip code...the Starlink gave us a warning that we were outside our residential area. We switched it back to mobile and all was good. I believe the residential plan was a bit less per month but not sure....
                      40-year Camping Enthusiast
                      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                        Will having the star link set up give you internet (I am assuming it include access and you don't need to get another plan) about everywhere and as the router appears to be WiFI can you link your cell phone to it too so you don't need a booster or hotspot? Just trying to understand the basics and goal here

Thanks Keith
                        For me with the mobile platform yes and yes. Our laptops and phones are connected to the Starlink router when we have the service turned on. just like having Comcast cable internet and a wifi router in the house. Ours was really plug and play once I figured out where to put the router and how to run the cable.
                        2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
                        2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post

I know we have the mobile plan and I can shut it off/on as desired. We accidentally had ours configured for residential and then once we left the billing zip code...the Starlink gave us a warning that we were outside our residential area. We switched it back to mobile and all was good. I believe the residential plan was a bit less per month but not sure....
                          Yes residential is only $120/month. Reading lots on the web, which all is true, plenty of people seem to use residential and just change their address to wherever they are with no issues. I am not sure about this at all.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yes residential is only $120/month. Reading lots on the web, which all is true, plenty of people seem to use residential and just change their address to wherever they are with no issues. I am not sure about this at all.

Brian
                            When we signed up, we were under the impression that the number of address changes for residential were few. And since we are only part time travelers, the ability to stop payment for six months in the winter was worth it.
                            2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
                            2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Yoda You are welcome lol.

Everyone else, we are grandfathered on the old residential plan with mobility. I have thought about dropping the mobility part and just changing our address - when we started that was hard to do, in order to get my order to ship I had to put my home address in as death valley to find an area with space. Now this is less of an issue and most everywhere we have been we have been able to change our address. Unfortunately since I am grandfathered if I drop portability I cannot readd it so I have been chicken to do so.

As far as power supplies all I can say there is get something of good quality. When I first did my conversion I had a lot of packet loss and connection issues. I changed to a better quality power supply and all those problems went away. I got this one:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...20A-48/8591541

It is designed to mount to a DIN rail, I got a enclosure with one on Amazon, but the box was too small. I took the DIN rail out and mounted it next to my inverter and stuff in the front bay. Wiring goes:

12V from aux fuse panel to
                              48V converter in front bay to
                              POE Injector in wet bay to
                              Router behind TV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                                LOL - somewhere back about post 3 Neil lost me in this thread . but that's OK. I am watching this and trying to learn and understand the terms (its fun to google and read up).

First what is a POE injector and what does it do? I am assuming the dishy pinout is the plug configuration from the dish or at the dish itself of some kind. Perhaps in the end I will understand the setup.

I listened to the Star Link folks at the National Rally, but alas I just could not comprehend everything but the price (ouch), especially with the pole mount that attached to the ladder and install costs. They made is sound like plug and play, but when others asked questions I quickly learned there was more to it.

Thanks Keith
                                POE is short for Power Over Ethernet. The starlink dishy has no dedicated power cord. It receives it's power from the Cat5E cable that also transports data to the router. That's what a POE injector does. Adds that power to the cat5E cable. So the power for the dish, and the internet data from the dish are transported along the same wires. Capiche?
                                Yes, the starlink gives you internet. Anything you can do with your home internet, you can do with Starlink. In my case...much faster than the ISP's in my area. So you can stream Netflix, Disney or whatever you like to use your connection for. It is not a cell phone signal replacement, not going to be texting through it, although I think you could do VOIP -voice over internet protocol- but not sure. Facetime etc will work.
                                But it will do whatever you needed the hotspot for...I think.

This help?

2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                                X