No announcement yet.

Starlink, Mobile and Home Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the flagpole buddy as well and its a piece of cake, everything done from the ground. Not sure if they have a mount to the Gen 3 though.

Ours works for calling and texting, but we are on Apple not Android, so not sure what settings you would need to turn on. You should be able to mimic this at home by putting your phone in airplane mode and turning on your wi-fi and trying to text. That should be the same thing as using Starlink in a area with no cell service. We were a week in Fishing Bridge last year with no service and our devices behaved perfectly.

Scott'n'Wendy I used shielded, just to maintain the shield throughout. I also used shielded cat-5e. I suspect they are just using it as a drain and to keep RF from other nearby signals from causing interference. That said its not gigabit or even 10 gig, so I cannot believe there would be an issue if you dropped the shield.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

A note of caution regarding the Flagpole Buddy--I climbed up my 315RLTS' ladder immediately after a rain storm to clean the rearview camera on the back of the rig. When full weight was applied to climb up my hand slipped on the wet rail and jammed itself down in the gap between the handrail and buddy mount. It-did-not-feel-good.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        A note of caution regarding the Flagpole Buddy--I climbed up my 315RLTS' ladder immediately after a rain storm to clean the rearview camera on the back of the rig. When full weight was applied to climb up my hand slipped on the wet rail and jammed itself down in the gap between the handrail and buddy mount. It-did-not-feel-good.
        The nice part of Flagpole Buddy is you don't have to climb the ladder beyond the install of the clamps and I used a separate ladder on a dry day
        2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
        2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          Does anybody with comms experience think it matters if I use regular or shielded RJ45 connectors? I have regular, do I need to buy shielded? I'm not sure what I'd be shielding it from in an RV. The microwave?
          I'm still running Cat5 cable and unshielded connectors which I made in my house that I pre-wired 30 years ago. Of course everything is Wifi now so had to upgrade from cable modem to router. Doubt the Cat5e cable from Starlink router to dishy is shielded though the connectors are molded. And, if your microwave is 'leaking', might want to be outside when you nuke things if your face starts to turn red and you feel warm.📡
          2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
          2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

FYI for folk wanting the new Gen3 vs Gen2. Starlink is currently only shipping Gen3 to subscriptions for their mobile (roaming) plan. If you get the residential (standard), it'll likely be a Gen2. Starlink advised me to send it back when it arrives, cancel my subscription, and re-order through the mobile (roaming) plan.

Erik
            Last edited by Popga; 01-09-2024, 12:48 PM.
            Erik & Tea
            2021 Reflection 297RSTS
            2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
            ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

I'm still running Cat5 cable and unshielded connectors which I made in my house that I pre-wired 30 years ago. Of course everything is Wifi now so had to upgrade from cable modem to router. Doubt the Cat5e cable from Starlink router to dishy is shielded though the connectors are molded. And, if your microwave is 'leaking', might want to be outside when you nuke things if your face starts to turn red and you feel warm.📡
              Yeah I have three boxes of Cat 6 sitting waiting for me to replace my 5e at the house with, but I am pulling 10gig through my 5e with no problem, even on a run that probably 30 feet, so I am not super motivated to do it lol. I did test my Starlink cable before I started messing with it and from the factory the shield is uninterrupted all the way from the router to the dish, and bonded to the dish, but I agree it may not matter. That said shielded connectors are cheap, I would go that route if you are reterminating it.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                That said shielded connectors are cheap, I would go that route if you are reterminating it.
                I suppose, but they come in lots of 50 or 100. I have 20 or so of the non shielded from a pkg of 100 I bought about 15 years ago......lol
                And everything seems to be pass thru now. I don't really want to buy another tool for RJ45...

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Yeah I do all mine with pass through

I found the gauge of the wire was larger than the non-shielded ones i had, so I bought shielded in the right size and used those. Its been a while but I think I used these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    Is there an easy ladder mount that one does not need to climb the ladder to install the dish? I may just set mine on a table or something when camping. I have not yet figured out the home mount, maybe I will fabricate my own.

Brian
                    Yes---the flag pole buddy mount is the way to go. I can stand on the ground and attach my dishy to the bracket and first pole and then added extension poles to achieve the height that I desire up to 16' I believe. I usually only use 2 or 3 of the 4' poles and can easily reach the mounts to raise up the poles and dishy and then lock them into the mount. It's super easy and does not require leaving the ground or enormous amounts of strength.
                    40-year Camping Enthusiast
                    2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                      Yeah I do all mine with pass through

I found the gauge of the wire was larger than the non-shielded ones i had, so I bought shielded in the right size and used those. Its been a while but I think I used these:

Suppose I could just not pass them through, and use them like the old style rj45?
                      2021 303RLS

Comment

Suppose I could just not pass them through, and use them like the old style rj45?
                        Maybe? I have never tried. You would need to have them in deep enough to make contact, but not sticking through.

I know you are not looking for another one but I use this crimper:

Neil Citro

Comment

Here are the connectors I used for my Starlink cable:
                          https://a.co/d/2OcVDRF

I use the same crimpers that Neil listed.

When I wired mine, I used T568B configuration.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I do like Klein tools.....I'm starting to feel like Keith....anything can be solved with the purchase of more tools....lol
                            2021 303RLS

Comment

ajg617
                              I like it!...not sure I need it...but I like it.
                              Then you haft to have it
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Regarding Flagpole Buddy. I still need to stand on a stool to set the pole in the brackets. However since Brian is probably closer to 7 feet tall than he is my height, he should be able to reach it with no problem.

Jim
                                Jim and Ginnie
                                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                                X