Starlink, Mobile and Home Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott'n'Wendy

Thanks for the "glass fuse" note, I will find this and get a spare or 2.

I do need to label the router with some notes as it is a little bit of a tight space where I have it. Still thinking of another area to mount it for easier access.

Thanks for all of the help and links. It is too cold today to go from the house to the garage to work on this,LOL.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I made a mistake on the fuse...it's 4a
      Attached Files
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Items procured and mounted to 1/4" plywood for installation under the steps.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi1.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	126971
        Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	126972

Accessible from the pass thru storage.

I will be placing a set of switches to control power. I need to test all operations before final install.

Should power be fused between power supply and POE injector?

Brian
        Brian---I would also suggest checking the signal that you are getting from the router once powered up. You want to ensure there is a strong signal throughout the camper and around your camp site. There's a possibility that tucking it away behind the basement panels and with the antennas up against the structure---signal could be impacted. Also as Scott noted---there is a power switch on the back of the router but I just leave mine in the on position and use the bank of switches that I installed to power it and the dishy up.
        40-year Camping Enthusiast
        2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
        2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

Thanks for the "glass fuse" note, I will find this and get a spare or 2.

I do need to label the router with some notes as it is a little bit of a tight space where I have it. Still thinking of another area to mount it for easier access.

Thanks for all of the help and links. It is too cold today to go from the house to the garage to work on this,LOL.

Brian
          Agree on the access. I wanted all my components to be readily accessible since I fill up the basement with our camping gear and didn't want to have to remove our gear and panels to see lights and do any necessary diagnostics....all my hardware is mounted in the front compartment. Just little things to consider when mounting the components....

Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by COReflection View Post
            You want to ensure there is a strong signal throughout the camper and around your camp site.
            That's why I was thinking under the stairs as well. It's about as central in the trailer you can get but still be out of the way. You have a point with the antennas. Is having them horizontal a bad idea? As in less than ideal?

2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              That's why I was thinking under the stairs as well. It's about as central in the trailer you can get but still be out of the way. You have a point with the antennas. Is having them horizontal a bad idea? As in less than ideal?
              Check out this article. https://www.lifewire.com/ways-to-pos...tennas-5206950

Antennas absolutely make a big difference. I would find a place to mount the router as designed so the antennas point up and then fan them out as the article describes. I believe you will see signal differences.

Comment

Country Campers , Hi Brian, when installing a power on switch for the system remember the higher 12vdc current draw. Your POE is fused at 4a @ 48v. That would equate to 16a on the 12v side of the DC conveter. How often it gets close to 16a? Don't know, but something to keep in mind. There are A LOT of 5-10 amp switches on Amazon. Much fewer over 10a.
                2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Country Campers , Hi Brian, when installing a power on switch for the system remember the higher 12vdc current draw. Your POE is fused at 4a @ 48v. That would equate to 16a on the 12v side of the DC conveter. How often it gets close to 16a? Don't know, but something to keep in mind. There are A LOT of 5-10 amp switches on Amazon. Much fewer over 10a.
                  I am thinking I may use the skip the 12 v conversion for a bit and see how it works. I just can not get a good place to mount everything with ease of connection of the cable to the dish. I may put a pass thru on the outside wall somewhere but not sure yet. I have noted the switch power, thanks for bringing that up.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I am thinking I may use the skip the 12 v conversion for a bit and see how it works. I just can not get a good place to mount everything with ease of connection of the cable to the dish. I may put a pass thru on the outside wall somewhere but not sure yet. I have noted the switch power, thanks for bringing that up.

Brian
                    I can tell you that I just connect my dishy up to the PoE adapter which I mounted near my right side propane tank on the "outside" of the front compartment. It works great there as it's shielded from any water or debris inside the propane tank cabinet yet easily accessible for the cord. Then as I noted, all my connections to the router, power, and etc. are accessible from the front compartment when you open the door. Even though my router is near the front of the fiver....I have strong signal all throughout the camper even behind it in the rear. The signal emanates a long way if the antennas are vertical and positioned correctly.

Dave

Comment

I put my 12 to 48v booster in the front bay, and ran 48v power to the injector which I put in the Nautilus bay. I run the cable from the Starlink (on my ladder) up along the sewer line or power cord (my power cord plugs into the back of the rig for some reason) and up into the injector through the grommet in the Nautilus bay. I ran a data cable from my Nautilus bay to behind the TV (where my router is) years ago, so I use that to get the signal up to it then.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Installed, but not yet tested. I need to get my second starlink cable from camp.
                        Attached Files
                        2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                        X