Victron Multiplus Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron Multiplus Problems

I have purchased and installed a Victron Multiplus II in my RV front bay and finding the performance to be extremely unstable. For anyone that has the Multiplus II, you know it has the "On, Off, and Charge Only" modes at the physical switch. I am connected to shore power at the present.

What I am finding is that device works perfectly fine when on the "Charge Only" mode as it allow the shore power to pass through to the AC panel and charges the batteries when DC has been consumed, but when I switch it to the "On" mode, the Multiplus II every 1-5 minutes loses shore power, kick on to DC power only, and then in another 1-5 minutes kicks back on to shore power. When I turned off shore power the Multiplus kicked in to Inverter mode and seemed to be working fine for the time I was testing.

Extremely unstable and glitchy in the "On" position which is the recommended position to allow the device to automatically switch itself to the type of electricity available at the time (AC/DC). Anyone have an idea what would cause this? I have not totally ruled out wiring but since it works just fine on the "Charge Only", it would seem the wiring is fine.

I had the distributor look at the configuration settings and he said they were all fine. Wondering if the physical Multiplus II has a board / electrical problem.

Thoughts?

Todd
    2023 Reflection 280RS, GMC 2500 Sierra Diesel

Hi Todd,

Without being there with a meter, I'm guessing. But I wonder if the problem may not be the Multiplus, but caused by shore power problems? If there is a voltage issue with shore power, the Multiplus may be trying to switch away from it.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

tmakie

If you have an adapter for your shore cord, plug the camper into the 30A or even the 15A outlet on the pedestal (if one exists). Don't forget to lower the Shore Current Limit on the Multiplus to correspond with the source. If the Multiplus runs perfectly off of a different outlet, TucsonJim may be on to the issue (something with the 50A circuit in the pedestal).

By any chance do you have an EMS installed or have an external one?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have the Hughes watchdog EMS at the pedestal and it says everything is good. A couple of good ideas on the 30 /15 amp tests.

Todd

Comment

Have you updated the Multiplus to the new version of software? I have read where some have had issues with the newest 500 version but the previous version , 498 maybe, is working for me.

Post screen shots of your settings in the VE Config if you can so we can compare.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The reseller sent a tech out to perform some testing on the Multiplus II and they found that the inverter board was bad.

Now I need to wait for them to work through the Victron warranty / replacement process so that they can send me a new unit.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by tmakie View Post
              The reseller sent a tech out to perform some testing on the Multiplus II and they found that the inverter board was bad.

Now I need to wait for them to work through the Victron warranty / replacement process so that they can send me a new unit.

Todd
              Wow--first I've read of a Victron component failure. Please update this thread when the new Multiplus is installed and share the results.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by tmakie View Post

Todd
                Who is the reseller. They deserve credit for coming out and helping. Like Howard I am surprised - this is the first failed Multiplus I have seen on any of the forums. Hopefully you have a temp solution worked out for power.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Wow--first I've read of a Victron component failure.
                  Even the best stuff breaks..just not as often.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I had a faulty Multiplus type 1. Would invert fine but would not charge regardless of the switch position. I did a return to Amazon and bought one from an authorized reseller. This is how I found out the hard way victron does not provide end user support.

Glad it got resolved and you got good support.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                    X