RV Electrical System Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Electrical System Standards

There have been discussions in other threads regarding the standards that are imposed on the RV industry for AC and DC electrical requirements.

The primary document defining Recreational Vehicles is a National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standard: NFPA 1192 [Standard on Recreational Vehicles]. Here is the scope of the document:

"Scope. This standard shall cover fire and life safety criteria for recreational vehicles. A.1.1 Those members of the engineering profession and others associated with the design, manufacturing, and inspection of recreational vehicles have been aware of the need for uniform technical standards leading to the proper use of this special type of equipment. They also have recognized that, because of conditions of transport, size, and use, existing standards for motor vehicles or permanent buildings are not completely applicable to recreational vehicles. It is with these factors in mind that this standard has been developed. Much of the material in this standard has been taken from or is based on nationally recognized standards for fire and life safety. Applicable standards are shown in Chapter 2."

The following paragraphs in NFPA 1170 define the documents that specify the electrical requirements:

"4.4 Electrical Requirements

4.4.1 All installations, systems, and equipment shall comply with Article 551, Parts I through V of NFPA 70.

4.4.1 All low voltage electrical installations, systems, and electrical installations shall comply with ANSI/RVIA LV, Low Voltage Systems in Conversion and Recreational Vehicles."

ANSI/RVIA defines electrical conductor requirements for 12V type systems but is silent on color marking conductor wires except for the following:

"4-6 Grounded Circuit Identification. All ground returns to chassis or power source shall be uniquely identified as separate from the supply conductors(i.e. color, marking, etc.)
    4-7 Other Circuit Identification. Each circuit conductor shall maintain its established identification throughout its run."

Access to NFPA documents can be obtained by using the following link:
    https://www.nfpa.org/Codes-and-Stand...-and-Standards

Access to ANSI/RVIA LV can be found here:
    https://ia601909.us.archive.org/9/it...0Vechicles.pdf

Abbreviations
    NFPA - National Fire Protection Association
    ANSI - American National Standards Institute
    RVIA - Recreational Vehicle Industry Association
    LV - Low Voltage

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Each circuit conductor shall maintain its established identification throughout its run."[/I]

Jim
    Thanks Jim
    This information is interesting to read....well if you understand engineering specification double speak

They did get one thing right. Once you are able to identify a power run be it AC or DC you can trace it fairly easily. Example for AC they use different color romex. For DC different wire colors with stripes. Plain white has always been negative return so far beyond the distribution panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645s.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	113951 Example is the back of my distribution panel I took during my Victron Multiplus and solar install. Note the different color romex in the foreground (120V) and 12V wiring in the background. If you can identify what wire goes to what fuse/braker you should find that wire at the appliance or end location. The big black SOO cable is the new shore power feed coming from the Multiplus that I put in.

I know i has been asked before and I know no wiring diagrams are available, but there should be some method to GD's color coding. I know it is probably different across the lines or changes often, but would be nice if they would share that. I might ask that question on a plant tour.

BTW I know folks complain about the rats nest they find behind the pass through wall , but note how far I was able to pull the distribution panel away from the wall to work on it.

Jim thanks again for the information
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

They did get one thing right. Once you are able to identify a power run be it AC or DC you can trace it fairly easily.
      But because they are silent on colour standards, and in my experience with Jayco, GD, Vanguard, Glendale, they don't follow 4-6 or 4-7 throughout the trailer, it leads to confusion.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

An interesting quote from an iRV2 2016 thread.

"Something around 2009 the RVIA standardized Low Voltage RV wiring to more closely match the NEC high voltage codes. White being negative and any other color being positive. Chassis is not longer used, individual negative wire is run to each device.

The automotive wiring follows the standards of the chassis manufacture with each being different. Some even use all black with numbers printed on the wire. And like the RVIA, the chassis is never used for circuit returns. Battery negative may be connected to the chassis but individual returns are run to each device. Rusty frame wires are no longer a problem."​
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          But because they are silent on colour standards, and in my experience with Jayco, GD, Vanguard, Glendale, they don't follow 4-6 or 4-7 throughout the trailer, it leads to confusion.
          Scott
          So far I have fond GD did fairly consistant job. Two examples. When installing my Soft Start the color of the romex at the AC unit and the color of the romex at the distribution panel attached to the breaker matched. And on my fridge the color of the 12V positive (striped wire) was the same at the distribution panel fuse. I have also found the taillight wiring runs true from the pin box to the rear junction points with the lights themselves, they do change colors at the splices though to the individual lights. With the belly wide open I am beginning to understand some of thier wiring logic -- except for the tank sensors. I am in the process's of rerouting some wires to clean things up.

However having said that the brake wiring. The blue and white wires in red sleeve do run to the brake axle splice point from the pin box, but from the splices to the axles they ran two unmarked smaller white wires neither marked positive or negative. Granted is does not matter how they are hooked up to the brake magnets - works either way.

Over time I am going to try and remember to write down the wire coding colors when I am doing work. Maybe over time we can compare notes and see if there is consistency. I know crazy idea

Keith.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            "Something around 2009 the RVIA standardized Low Voltage RV wiring to more closely match the NEC high voltage codes. White being negative and any other color being positive. ​
            It's why you don't believe everything you read on forums.....
            EDIT
            Was kind of curious about what Ted pasted from another site. And I could find that exact wording in some places saying white is negative. Most places saying black is negative.
            NEC still has black as negative
            Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 06-08-2023, 05:59 AM.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
            X