2k or 3k inverter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k or 3k inverter?

This isn't a technical question but rather I'm just seeing other peoples opinions on the matter

I have 2 100a lifepo4 batteries. I installed a 60a converter and 2kw inverter and used it successfully on our last trip. I'm currently changing the converter to a 100a one that has fixed voltage and then a float as I want my batteries recharged faster but I also don't like them having constant 14.4v when already full.

At the same time, while I'm still within the return period, I'm considering upgrading to a 3kw inverter as well. (I recognize I would eventually need at minimum a 3rd battery to fully utilize the max power.)

On the one hand I like future proofing and bigger does that. I do plan on adding solar sometime as well. On the other hand, I actually don't know if I will ever need 3k? I understand it's purpose for those full timing with seriously big battery banks. But I'm just boondocking for a few days every few months. I won't ever have enough batteries to practically run AC's.... Everything else I've needed to use is <2kw. I used my Nespresso coffee maker (~1500), my microwave (~1500) and various other much smaller accessories. Sure, I can't use the coffee maker at the same time as the microwave, but I don't really have the need to anyways. If I'm really doing something outside the ordinary or REALLY energy-intensive, that is what the generator is for. It's gotta be ran sometime to recharge the batteries anyways.

Any casual campers upgrade to a 3kw and glad they did? Or stuck with a 2kw and regret they did?

Thanks
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Originally posted by timelinex View Post
    This isn't a technical question but rather I'm just seeing other peoples opinions on the matter

I have 2 100a lifepo4 batteries. I installed a 60a converter and 2kw inverter and used it successfully on our last trip. I'm currently changing the converter to a 100a one that has fixed voltage and then a float as I want my batteries recharged faster but I also don't like them having constant 14.4v when already full.

At the same time, while I'm still within the return period, I'm considering upgrading to a 3kw inverter as well. (I recognize I would eventually need at minimum a 3rd battery to fully utilize the max power.)

On the one hand I like future proofing and bigger does that. I do plan on adding solar sometime as well. On the other hand, I actually don't know if I will ever need 3k? I understand it's purpose for those full timing with seriously big battery banks. But I'm just boondocking for a few days every few months. I won't ever have enough batteries to practically run AC's.... Everything else I've needed to use is <2kw. I used my Nespresso coffee maker (~1500), my microwave (~1500) and various other much smaller accessories. Sure, I can't use the coffee maker at the same time as the microwave, but I don't really have the need to anyways. If I'm really doing something outside the ordinary or REALLY energy-intensive, that is what the generator is for. It's gotta be ran sometime to recharge the batteries anyways.

Any casual campers upgrade to a 3kw and glad they did? Or stuck with a 2kw and regret they did?

Thanks
    I have 560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 565 watts of solar, a 125A converter/charger and a 2K inverter on our 2022 303RLS. We only boondock and never plug into shore power when camping. The question comes down to what are your power requirements and then those will generate a list of hardware. In our case, we wanted to run the coffeemaker, the microwave, a hairdryer or our TV and DVD combo on battery power and for that....a 2K inverter works awesome. I have no desire to run my AC units on battery. I'm quite happy with my setup and would not change a thing. I do carry a nice Yamaha 6300w inverter generator but I didn't use it at all this season after the battery and solar upgrades.
    40-year Camping Enthusiast
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Just my opinion, no experience either way. You don't have to use the full 3k capacity, but the extra margin may be occasionally useful. A full 3k would draw about 25 ac amps and need about 250 dc amps to keep up with the load. Your current battery capacity is 200 amps for one hour. On the other hand if your satisfied with the 2k capacity, keep it.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Been there, done that. I had a 2,000 watt inverter in our last rig. Many times I wish it was a 3,000 watt. For example, if I wanted to use the microwave for 3 minutes, it would sometimes kick off the inverter due to too much current demand. On our new rig, I'm going with a 3KW inverter.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Been there, done that. I had a 2,000 watt inverter in our last rig. Many times I wish it was a 3,000 watt. For example, if I wanted to use the microwave for 3 minutes, it would sometimes kick off the inverter due to too much current demand. On our new rig, I'm going with a 3KW inverter.

Jim
          Good point. I never used it for more than like 1.5 min in the microwave. I'll try to microwave something for 5 min and see how she does.
          2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
          2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

We had a 2K on our motor home, then went with 3K in our fifth wheel. Really only reason was for possible future needs as long as we were starting over. I never had problems with the 2K but the extra capacity is nice.
            Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
            2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

I had 1000W inverter for the first 18 months. 1000W was good for charging phones and laptops. That's about it. Next iteration was a 3K inverter to run the entire trailer. I really like our new setup. It runs the same whether we are plugged in or not....whether the generator is running or not. (as long as batteries have some juice left). We can be running the microwave with charging phones/laptops, with the water pump is going, with the TV running.....we have even had the microwave running with the air conditioner running (that will drain your batteries fast).

My preference is an inverter that handles everything (I've even thought about paralleling 2 mulitpluses for more power - evil laugh-) . I would do what works for your preference and you camping style/situation. Best part about having a trailer is being able to have a tiny home with you in some pretty cool places. I would rather spend my time and energy exploring new places than worrying about trailer stuff. Do what gives you the time/energy to enjoy your camping experience.
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman43 (Allen) -- the DW and I also like the ability to run multiple items without worrying about it. Her rule is "no more than two large appliances simultaneously" when inverting. We boondock on occasion, but find the primary use of the inverter's capabilities is when we stop for lunch on a travel day. We typically stop at a pre-planned location so the slides can come out. Lunch is then made with whatever appliances desired. If the air conditioner is running the limit is one kitchen appliance.

timelinex -- Bottom line for us is the 3K inverter and four 100aH batteries (wired to run the whole camper) opens up another level of flexibility and usability of our travel trailer.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I would rather have the 3k and not needed it than get to a point where I would want to have it. As others have said the ability to use whatever you want when you want is worth it.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We have an 1800W on two Lion batts and it serves us well, as long as we manage the items we use. When I installed our system I used heavy enough wiring to upgrade in the future. (2O) I'm on the lookout for a 3K sometime in the future (somewhere in the neighborhood of a smoking deal on a quality one that I can just simply swap out when acquired) If and when that happens I'm going to put two more Lion batts in and then be able to run the AC for a short cool off and more items in the rig. That said, I'd go with a 3K off the bat.
                    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Jim
                      Good idea, Jim. I was on the fence re: 2k/3k inverter. 3k for sure now.
                      Do you have a model in mind?
                      Last edited by tvantuyl; 10-21-2023, 09:11 PM. Reason: Added more text
                      2023 337RLS (pickup next week)
                      2017 RAM 3500 SRW Limited
                      Our 11th RV (last?)

Comment

Originally posted by tvantuyl View Post

Good idea, Jim. I was on the fence re: 2k/3k inverter. 3k for sure now.
                        Do you have a model in mind?
                        Our new RV is scheduled for delivery this week. I'm going all in on this one. I'm going to install a 3,000 watt Victron Multiplus II inverter/charger. But they are very pricey at about $1,350. For a pure sine inverter at 3KW, you really can't go wrong with Renogy. Check this one out on Amazon for $366!

https://a.co/d/eoQlfhG

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I wonder how the https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva 120V just inverter compares in price to the Renogy? Not having the charger circuits and technology in there might make it a bit more competitive in price.

Searching online, they are not easy to find. Everyone is pushing the multi and quadro.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            I wonder how the https://www.victronenergy.com/invert...48v-800va-3kva 120V just inverter compares in price to the Renogy? Not having the charger circuits and technology in there might make it a bit more competitive in price.

Searching online, they are not easy to find. Everyone is pushing the multi and quadro.
                            Victron will always be more expensive
                            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Our new RV is scheduled for delivery this week. I'm going all in on this one. I'm going to install a 3,000 watt Victron Multiplus II inverter/charger. But they are very pricey at about $1,350. For a pure sine inverter at 3KW, you really can't go wrong with Renogy. Check this one out on Amazon for $366!

https://a.co/d/eoQlfhG

Jim

Ill bet you cant wait I'm sure Ginnie has plans too
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X