Suitable Substitutions for Molex Connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitable Substitutions for Molex Connectors

On another site I read a post on having spare Moles connectors - just in case.

Question - Is GD still using them or have the switched over to Wago connectors? Wago indicates thier connectors are suitable for either solid copper or stranded wire.. My thought is if the Molex goes bad use the single Wago for each wire and then heat shrink tube over each.

Another option might be crimp bulb connectors with appropriate water proofing. I don't think wire nuts would be suitable.

I don't want to lead anyone astray if a Molex issue comes up.

Thoughts?

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

As far as I know they are still using the Molex connectors. I replaced mine with ones similar to these, overkill but I had them laying around from my dads boat dock I worked on a while ago:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-...BHdE6QA-oz3R4s

I would think WAGO connectors with heat shrink should be fine, if you stay within the current rating.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I purchased a few of these when the Molex recall came out a few years ago so I had them on hand when I went in to the under belly, FX Junction Box Waterproof IP68 2 Way Plug Line M20 Coaxial Cable Connector Wire Range 5 to 12mm Outdoor External Electric Power Cord Boxes: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement​ My Molex connectors were fine so I did not use these. I think they would be a good alternative to the Molex.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I would just cut, butt splice and silicone/heat shrink. I'm not concerned about ease of slide removal? Would rather have a more positive/waterproof connection.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy I believe the issue with butt splicing is the romex solid wire side. I'd probably crimp and solder that side to ensure it's a solid connection.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I replaced my underbelly Molex connectors (one of which was badly corroded) with high quality extension cord replacement ends (Similar to Neil’s link in post 2). Made sure that I secured these up high where they would stay dry . . . and they have been secure for years.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

When I was performing the recall on my Reflections Molex connectors, I found some of them were poorly installed/faulty. I replaced them with water proof boxes that I mounted to a piece of exterior plywood along one of the floor cross members:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut wires.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	127313

Click image for larger version

Name:	starboard.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	127314
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Scott'n'Wendy I believe the issue with butt splicing is the romex solid wire side. I'd probably crimp and solder that side to ensure it's a solid connection.
                You can crimp solid wire.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  I purchased a few of these when the Molex recall came out a few years ago so I had them on hand when I went in to the under belly, FX Junction Box Waterproof IP68 2 Way Plug Line M20 Coaxial Cable Connector Wire Range 5 to 12mm Outdoor External Electric Power Cord Boxes: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement​ My Molex connectors were fine so I did not use these. I think they would be a good alternative to the Molex.

Brian
                  Not necessarily related to the recall, but where are Molex connectors that may most likely need to be replaced found in the trailers?
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Not necessarily related to the recall, but where are Molex connectors that may most likely need to be replaced found in the trailers?
                    Usually its the ones under the coroplast because they get wet. The recall was to move them up out of the way of any standing water. They should be in pairs, one under the coroplast before the slide out to transition from solid Romex to stranded SO cord in the slide, and then one inside the slide to transition back to solid Romex.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

You slide layout is similar to mine. The Moles is used to transition from solid wire120V romex to flexible wiring. and back at the other end. Look under your unit where the power goes into the slide (probably rear drivers side). One molex will be inside the frame above the coroplast where the wiring exits the trailer belly. The second one will probably be behind the fridge. I have a gas /electric and it is on the wall, left side, inside the lower vent. Yours may be different, maybe under the dinette seat next to the fridge

Now if your fridge is 12v and there are no 120v receptacles on the dinette slide, it is possible you wont have them.

Could be wrong, but the real experts will be by soon.
                      Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

You slide layout is similar to mine. The Moles is used to transition from solid wire120V romex to flexible wiring. and back at the other end. Look under your unit where the power goes into the slide (probably rear drivers side). One molex will be inside the frame above the coroplast where the wiring exits the trailer belly. The second one will probably be behind the fridge. I have a gas /electric and it is on the wall, left side, inside the lower vent. Yours may be different, maybe under the dinette seat next to the fridge

Now if your fridge is 12v and there are no 120v receptacles on the dinette slide, it is possible you wont have them.

Could be wrong, but the real experts will be by soon.
                        Keith
                        I have gas/electric fridge and no built in dinette. I'll check both of them but I don't think I've ever had water standing in the underbelly. Good to know in case I ever have AC voltage issues with slide or fridge. I'm in the camp of soldering and sealing.
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                        X