Automatic Transfer Switch testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I don't have an ATS, but would I be correct thinking it is a 3 pole contactor switching two hot legs and the neutral?
    I also don’t have an ATS, but my boat had an MTS (manual transfer switch) which was a 4 pole transfer. L1, L2, N & G. The neutral is a current carrying wire and neutral and ground should only come together at the source of the electricity. (This may have been complicated on the boat by the ground also going to the water only when away from the dock)

Rob

Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The only one I’m familiar with is the Progressive Industries, it switches the hots and neutral but not the ground. The grounds are all tied together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	129033
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Confirmed with GD that a few RVs had Magnum Inverters installed (ours included) which have their own ATS. Now I'm wondering if the Inverter (which I did not have turned off) was what actually tripped the house CB and is providing the 5-7 volts at the 50Amp lugs on the exterior receptacle. I'll run the next test with inverter and shore off and generator on and see if I have any voltage at the lugs. But a review of all the wiring is in order. In any case, it is something I will mention during our factory visit.
        2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
        2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

We are getting into my best guess here, but I believe that when there is an inverter with a built in transfer switch, that there is still an external transfer switch for the generator. In effect having two transfer switches. This would complicate the wiring and point even more to you tracing the wiring and seeing what you have an tracing it all out as Scott suggests.

That said Inverters sometimes do cause GFCI outlets to trip, my old Multiplus type 1 had this issue, but the newer type 2 does not.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
            We are getting into my best guess here, but I believe that when there is an inverter with a built in transfer switch, that there is still an external transfer switch for the generator. In effect having two transfer switches. This would complicate the wiring and point even more to you tracing the wiring and seeing what you have an tracing it all out as Scott suggests.

That said Inverters sometimes do cause GFCI outlets to trip, my old Multiplus type 1 had this issue, but the newer type 2 does not.
            I'm getting to appreciate the complicated wiring aspect. I have two ATS it appears - one for shore and one for solar not to mention what may be on the generator. FYI, the CB and GFCI that tripped were in my house.
            2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

I'm getting to appreciate the complicated wiring aspect. I have two ATS it appears - one for shore and one for solar not to mention what may be on the generator. FYI, the CB and GFCI that tripped were in my house.
              Inverter wiring could be involved. If I were you I would make sure all components are wired correctly. For example, each power source uses just 1 neutral. If you have a neutral from shore power and the neutral from the generator wired together, it will trip the breaker in your house (if you are connected to home shore power). All neutrals must be separated for each power source (they cannot be wired to the same bus bar).

I hope that makes sense.
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

Keep in mind its not solar (thats 12v and unrelated). One transfer switch is between shore and generator, and then one is the output of that transfer switch and the inverter.

I agree with Allen verify correct wiring. Incorrectly bonded/applied neutrals could definitely be causing the GFI in the house to trip.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Keep in mind its not solar (thats 12v and unrelated). One transfer switch is between shore and generator, and then one is the output of that transfer switch and the inverter.

I agree with Allen verify correct wiring. Incorrectly bonded/applied neutrals could definitely be causing the GFI in the house to trip.
                  Correct not solar - my mistake. Two separate transfer switches - one WFCO and one Magnum off of the Inverter. Two AC inputs to the Magnum which I'm curious about. I'll be tracing cables for a bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO ATS.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	129054 Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnum ATS.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	129055

Comment

The two inputs on the magnum should be the inverter (I think that’s the top on your picture) and input 2 will be the output of the other transfer switch.

Neil Citro

Comment

The inverter ATS should be on the load side of the generator/shore power ATS. It switches from pass-through ac to inverter generated ac for its load.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I also don’t have an ATS, but my boat had an MTS (manual transfer switch) which was a 4 pole transfer. L1, L2, N & G. The neutral is a current carrying wire and neutral and ground should only come together at the source of the electricity. (This may have been complicated on the boat by the ground also going to the water only when away from the dock)

Rob
                        I have never come across a situation where ground was switched. Only continuous. I have no marine experience though. At first thought, I don't think I like the idea though. Ground always needs to be good solid ground for when the warm brown stuff hits the fan. But ya, I can see boats being a special case.
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        2021 303RLS
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I have never come across a situation where ground was switched. Only continuous. I have no marine experience though. At first thought, I don't think I like the idea though. Ground always needs to be good solid ground for when the warm brown stuff hits the fan. But ya, I can see boats being a special case.
                          Hi Scott,

You are right . . . I should not have thrown the marine situation into this discussion. It is about galvanic corrosion between adjacent boats enabled by shorepower electrical ground wires completing the galvanic circuit between hulls. Nothing to do with RVs.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'm going to make an observation guess from the outside here. ATS stands for Automatic Transfer Switch, which means it has 2 inputs and 1 output, follow me?

The WFCO one may have internal feeds that you do not see, hence not seeing 2 wires. I'm going to guess it's one feed from the external grid feed and the other from the Generator.

The Black Magnum one is feeding select components and is being fed from the WFCO box by one input and the inverter from the other (it kinda says this on the outside markings).

What could have happened to trip your home CB especially if it's GFCI is the imbalance between the hot an neutral legs during the transfer of power from the generator or even if the generator has a self bonding relay that engaged which will cause an imbalance in the hot - neutral amps tripped the GFCI.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              I'm going to make an observation guess from the outside here. ATS stands for Automatic Transfer Switch, which means it has 2 inputs and 1 output, follow me?

The WFCO one may have internal feeds that you do not see, hence not seeing 2 wires. I'm going to guess it's one feed from the external grid feed and the other from the Generator.

The Black Magnum one is feeding select components and is being fed from the WFCO box by one input and the inverter from the other (it kinda says this on the outside markings).

What could have happened to trip your home CB especially if it's GFCI is the imbalance between the hot an neutral legs during the transfer of power from the generator or even if the generator has a self bonding relay that engaged which will cause an imbalance in the hot - neutral amps tripped the GFCI.
                              That's what I'm thinking. I would look in the WFCO ATS box to make sure shore and generator are completely separated. If there is an imbalance between hot and neutral, the GFCI will trip. If both neutrals are connected, there will be an imbalance and trip the GFCI circuit.
                              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

The AC Input 1 (Inverter) feed plugs into the GFCI on the end of the inverter - I do know that when that GFCI pops, I have no AC power at any other 120V outlets. The 4/0 cable on the opposite end of the inverter runs to the inverter disconnect switch and then down to the batteries with a large Magnum fuse in between. The Utility and load cables run to fuse blocks with yellow romex coming out the other end.and into a metal shielded tube. Haven't found the other end of the yellow romex lines yet but they could very well be headed to the pass thru area - I just can't see them yet. The WFCO has three shielded bundles of cable - one going to the fuse panel and two going into the underbelly on each side of the coach but heading towards the rear. More to come.

Comment

Working...
                                X