Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can OEM charger get lithium battery to 100%?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can OEM charger get lithium battery to 100%?

Looking for help with Lithium conversion on a Grande Design 22MLE. Specifically, can I use the existing wiring (8AWG) from the converter to the new battery?

- WFCO 8735AD hardcoded to lithium with a jumper cable, supposedly puts out up to 35A while charging battery

- OEM 165W panel connected to a furrion solar charge connected to the original battery

- Currently a generic lead acid battery, swapping in an epoch essential 300Ah lithium battery soon

I haven’t been able to open up the belly yet, to look, but I’m guessing there’s 20’ - 25’ of wire between converter and battery unless the converter goes to the battery disconnect switch first and then to the battery in which case it will be longer.

Q. Would it be normal to go to disconnect switch first?

Initially, I’d like to just swap the batteries and use the stock configuration until I have time to relocate the battery and upgrade the solar.

Q. Will the converter be able to charge the battery to 100% or will it be less due to voltage loss? Sounds like the lead acid batteries handle that better than the lithium batteries.​

Q. Any guess on how high it'll be able to charge?

Thanks
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Ram 1500 CC SB Equalizer WDH
    1430 payload, 11,300lb max tow

I would guess it will get fully charged but it will be slow. Your solar charger will make up some difference.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Q1 Yes it would be normal
      Q2 Yes it could get it to 100%. It would take a VERY long time for a 35A charger to fully charge a 300ah LiFePO4 battery...but it COULD do it.
      Q3 No guess other than a very long time.

IMO....if you are installing in a 300ah battery....it would be well worth your while to invest in a much more capable converter...like 120 amp and upsize your wires.. you can get by with your 35amp but it may take so long to charge you may not often be at 100%

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I agree with Scott and Brian. With lithium they charge linerally pretty much until full. That makes it easy math to work out the charge time. If you are down 100ah (assuming no solar) then 100/35 (assuming you get the full 35A) means 2.9 hours of charging to full. This time really only matters when running a generator and you want to either say fuel or not listen to it run, if you go a day or two dry and then end up at a campground to recharge, overnight it will get the job done regardless (even empty 300ah would charge in less than 10h). That said I would not be surprised if you get less than 35A out of the converter due to the length of the cables. The two best things you can do is shorten that run (either move the converter closer to the batteries or the batteries closer to the converter) and upgrade that wire size.

Another option to consider that most of us have done is a DC to DC converter. You will find the truck charge wire will get you less than 10A from the truck while driving. You can install a DC to DC converter and run larger wires from the truck battery back to the trailer and increase that significantly. howson and I both have the Renogy 40A, and Country Campers was able to use the Renogy 20A with his factory 7 pin wiring. TucsonJim went with the Victron 40A units I believe. With any of these after a long drive day (depending how depleted the battery is) you would arrive at your next stop with a full charge. It has completely changed how we travel, and now on drive days pretty much universally dry camp unless the weather requires use of the AC.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I would strongly suggest that you incorporate a shunt based monitor into your system. This will allow you to “see” what is going on. My experience is that the distant converter on smaller wires will eventually get the new battery fully charged but as others have described, this will take time. See post 12 of this thread for my experience. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/1...ithium-upgrade

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the good feedback. There's a lot of variables to this.

For this phase, I'm good running the oem converter since it sounds like it will be able to charge the battery to full eventually, albeit slowly. Turns out it has a 4 hour limit so if the battery is deeply discharged it'll switch modes at 4 hours and I'll have to cycle power to get it back into bulk mode (I think its bulk).

We'll either be hooked up at home before the trip or at the rv park and as long as it can charge over time / over night it shouldn't be a problem. I just reinstalled my converter after shipping it off for a fw upgrade and jumper wire add. I REALLY don't want to mess with again, plus I need to move on to the solar upgrade phase (800w solar, victron 60amp SCC, BMV-17 shunt).

As ScottnWendy suggested, if it' becomes a problem charging I'll look at upgrading the converter but I'd like to give it a go as is. Cate&Rob, I'll try and get some real world numbers and see how much voltage drop there is. I hope it's better than what you saw or I may have to upgrade the converter after all.

Once the solar it done it should help top things off. I fell better knowing the converter will be able to (probably) get it done if I'm parked under a bunch of trees.

Ncitro, a DC to DC charger looks like a nice option to add into the mix. I'll see how things shake out first but can see adding that down the road. The more options the better.
            Last edited by GD1; 04-23-2024, 09:02 PM.
            2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

Just for clarification. I have two 30 amp DC to DC chargers which were the maximum capacity Victron was offering at the time I purchased them. In the last six months, they have released the 50 amp version.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

To the OP why did you choose 300ah Lithium battery? Isn't this very heavy?

To ncitro - will a DC to DC converter drain or damage the truck battery at stops?
                Raymond and Dee Dee
                2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post

To ncitro - will a DC to DC converter drain or damage the truck battery at stops?
                  I believe the DC-DC only charges when the truck is running.

TucsonJim Two 30a dc-dc chargers. Just out of curiosity, did you run one large wire (#6?) from the front of the truck to the chargers or two smaller (#10?)
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I have mine configured to one of the Ford upfitter switches that are only live when the truck is running. There’s also a remote trigger on the Renogy that I have tied to the running lights so it only runs when they’re on.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks Jim, the victron a 50Amp unit seems like just the ticket. It would work great even on short trips.

Reubenray, it's only 58lbs, pretty light for the capacity plus I'll be moving it further back on the trailer eventually shifting the weight somewhat. I see they just came out with the 460Ah version of that battery which would be tempting if I hadn't already bought the 300Ah version. I voted for the simplicity of 1 battery over the redundancy of multiple batteries.

https://www.epochbatteries.com/produ...och-essentials
                      2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

Only 8 lbs more than a typical group 27 lead-acid that is routinely used as the dealer supplied battery.
                        John & Kathy
                        2014 Reflection 303RLS
                        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I believe the DC-DC only charges when the truck is running.

TucsonJim Two 30a dc-dc chargers. Just out of curiosity, did you run one large wire (#6?) from the front of the truck to the chargers or two smaller (#10?)
                          Good morning. I ran 2 AWG from the truck to the trailer, then terminated the wire on buss bars near the DC to DC converters. Then I ran 6 AWG from the buss bars to the converters.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by GD1 View Post
                            Looking for help with Lithium conversion on a Grande Design 22MLE. Specifically, can I use the existing wiring (8AWG) from the converter to the new battery?

- WFCO 8735AD hardcoded to lithium with a jumper cable, supposedly puts out up to 35A while charging battery

- OEM 165W panel connected to a furrion solar charge connected to the original battery

- Currently a generic lead acid battery, swapping in an epoch essential 300Ah lithium battery soon

I haven’t been able to open up the belly yet, to look, but I’m guessing there’s 20’ - 25’ of wire between converter and battery unless the converter goes to the battery disconnect switch first and then to the battery in which case it will be longer.

Q. Would it be normal to go to disconnect switch first?

Initially, I’d like to just swap the batteries and use the stock configuration until I have time to relocate the battery and upgrade the solar.

Q. Will the converter be able to charge the battery to 100% or will it be less due to voltage loss? Sounds like the lead acid batteries handle that better than the lithium batteries.​

Q. Any guess on how high it'll be able to charge?

Thanks
                            Lots of excellent advice above. I keep this page bookmarked to check wire sizes http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...on_chartlg.jpg It look like you stock wiring would be undersized. Yes it will work, but will be slow.

Remember to double the length of the run for using the chart. Why? DC is a circular circuit there and back to the battery.I know it took me a while to understand. I have a DC-DC set up on my ford - Like others I did a write up on the install. One thing - verify your alternator output so you don't overload and if wanting to use the charge line, double check its capacity.. I have the Renogy 60A DC-DC and I have seen it pull close to 80 amps during testing. I have it regulated to 30 amp for my flooded batterys though.
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                              Remember to double the length of the run for using the chart..
                              You don’t need to double it if you are using the RV chassis as the return (negative) side of the loop. You just need to account for the actual length of the wire conductor in the loop, including the length of conductor between the negative connections of the battery and converter/charger to the chassis. It won’t hurt to double it, you’ll just be overbuilt.
                              2021 Solitude 380FL-R
                              2022 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Working...
                              X