Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cannot plug in without tripping my circuit breaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Maybe Tom will find out that one of his irons fell out of the bag and rubbed through a wire causing a short........darn clubs ! You guys are good.......will be good to know what Tom finds out. Slide out wiring is a good side bet as Neil shared.

Dan
    So I shouldn't store the clubs under the coroplast? But there's so much room under there! Or again it's the rye talking.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Okay, for an update. Tom's meter is showing continuity between ground and Hot 1 (Black wire).

I had him remove the hot 1 wire from the 50 amp socket on the exterior wall. He still had continuity between the black wire and ground. This rules out the shore power cord and the 50 amp socket as the short circuit pathway.

Next, he removed the face plate on the breaker panel, removed hot 1 (black) from it's breaker, and tested for continuity between the black wire and the ground bar. This also indicated a direct short. This rules out any issues in the breaker box as the cause of the problem.

Tom then inspected the wiring in all the nooks and crannies he could get to. There was no sign of visible damage such as chaffing or a mouse chewing the wires.

We've isolated the problem to a short circuit between hot 1 (black) and the ground in the wiring between shore power recepticle and the breaker box.

The next steps are to trace the wiring to find the source of the short circuit. Since this is a 2013 Solitude 369RL, it will require dropping the coroplast to locate the issue. This is more than he wants to tackle, so he's going to either take the rig to his dealership or contact a mobile RV tech to take on the job.

He promised to update us once the issue is resolved.

Jim
      Thanks Jim and Howard for jumping in so quickly. I've called General RV, my dealership, to get this thing in and probably to pull new wire. I am interested to know if I can operate this camper with the black disconnected, or jump the red to the black. Actually as I type this it sounds risky.
      I'm a little late getting back here due to cleanup, dinner and a Tennessee Rye, so again thanks for the input, I will recharge the battery via the truck and run the slides out and test the shore power connection.
      I'll get back when it's fixed and I'm back on the road. Rescheduled is our week at Indigo Bluffs up in Empire, Mich. Bummer. Not likely is our meet-up with the Bowens, also GD owners, in Frankenmuth next weekend. Major Bummer!
      More later.
      TomF

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post

Thanks Jim and Howard for jumping in so quickly. I've called General RV, my dealership, to get this thing in and probably to pull new wire. I am interested to know if I can operate this camper with the black disconnected, or jump the red to the black. Actually as I type this it sounds risky.
        I'm a little late getting back here due to cleanup, dinner and a Tennessee Rye, so again thanks for the input, I will recharge the battery via the truck and run the slides out and test the shore power connection.
        I'll get back when it's fixed and I'm back on the road. Rescheduled is our week at Indigo Bluffs up in Empire, Mich. Bummer. Not likely is our meet-up with the Bowens, also GD owners, in Frankenmuth next weekend. Major Bummer!
        More later.
        TomF
        Since you brought it up I can say I would do both of those things to get back on the road, but then again I’d also be okay pulling my coroplast, so I can’t answer for what you’re okay with. You could also use a battery charger to keep the batteries topped off.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

More later.
          TomF
          Tom--you're at home, I (personally) would not jumper anything at this point. Get the problem fixed and then go enjoy yourself. If you were in the middle of nowhere and you were in trouble due to the excessive heat--yep--we'd figure out a temp solution. But not when you're at home. Follow your instincts. I think they are sound.

That's twice you mentioned "rye". I think I'm going to go get a nip of Maker's Mark now...

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I extended the slides and attempted to plug in again, but same response - popped the house circuit breaker. Our dealer, General RV, cannot get us in until Sept 9th at the earliest. We're going to call around on Monday for a mobile rv tech in the area or try Grand Design's Mobile Tech service. More later.

Comment

I extended the slides and attempted to plug in again, but same response - popped the house circuit breaker. Our dealer, General RV, cannot get us in until Sept 9th at the earliest. We're going to call around on Monday for a mobile rv tech in the area or try Grand Design's Mobile Tech service. More later.
              Where are you located out of curiosity?

Neil Citro

Comment

TNFSolitude
                Hi Tom,

Sorry to learn about these “difficulties”. A work-around would be to run a new (short) internal power cord. Use the original RV connection from the back and temporarily locate it in the pass through and run new wire directly to the panel. Should require less than 10 ft of new 6-3 wire from Home Depot or similar.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  TNFSolitude
                  Hi Tom,

Sorry to learn about these “difficulties”. A work-around would be to run a new (short) internal power cord. Use the original RV connection from the back and temporarily locate it in the pass through and run new wire directly to the panel. Should require less than 10 ft of new 6-3 wire from Home Depot or similar.

Rob
                  And you might even want to consider making this a permanent change from the socket at the back of the rig to near the pass through like they do on current models.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Where are you located out of curiosity?
                    Newport, MI (SE Mich, in Monroe County)

Comment

Rob & Jim, I've been staring at your suggestions for about a 1/2 hr now and I believe this is doable, and not just temporary. I'm going to crawl in the storage area tomorrow to see if I can access the chase to feed the wire up to the back of the breaker box. That's the only way this'll work. Thanks, and stay tuned.

Comment

Newport, MI (SE Mich, in Monroe County)
                        I’m in Chicago, too far or I’d lend a hand. You’re on a good path to reroute it. If you want to get really crazy it would be a good time to switch to a smart power inlet rather than the stock one

Neil Citro

Comment

Well I did it. The work around is pictured. We got in a day late, and just now relaxing with a Mich Ultra and a giant slice of cheesecake.

Comment

Nice! That will get you by for sure!

That 6awg romex is a bear to work with huh?

Neil Citro

Comment

Superb. I'm glad you were able to get on the road! Enjoy.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I was all set to make a permanent spot on the outside wall between the utility compartment and the water heater. I started drilling out the hole and hit a panel of sheet metal. Ah, sheet I think to myself. Now what? Not having a blade or time to cut through that I installed the receptacle as pictured. The 1st hole is covered with flex tape for the time being.
                                Anyone know why there's sheet metal inside the wall?

Comment

Working...
                                X