No DC power when battery is charged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No DC power when battery is charged

Hi there. I have a 2020 Reflection 260RD. The DC power will totally go out even if the battery is charged. My refrigerator will start beeping with a code LO DC. then a few minutes later, all DC power is out. I had an RV repair service replace my original battery with a battleborn battery. They also replaced the converter charger. When I connect to the generator for a few minutes, it seems to reset and the DC works again. I checked all the fuses that I know about. Might the issue be the circuit breaker? Any suggestion would be helpful. I'm boondocking so losing DC power is not good!

Have you checked to see if the battery is still charged? An RV can discharge a battery pretty fast and it sounds like you are just running it down. How often do you recharge it? A meter or battery monitor to measure the voltage would be very useful.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRoadCreations View Post
      Hi there. I have a 2020 Reflection 260RD. The DC power will totally go out even if the battery is charged. My refrigerator will start beeping with a code LO DC. then a few minutes later, all DC power is out. I had an RV repair service replace my original battery with a battleborn battery. They also replaced the converter charger. When I connect to the generator for a few minutes, it seems to reset and the DC works again. I checked all the fuses that I know about. Might the issue be the circuit breaker? Any suggestion would be helpful. I'm boondocking so losing DC power is not good!
      A battery monitor will go a long way to help you maintain the power level in your Battle Born. There's an informative thread in the Reference Material section that should help: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-do-i-need-one

Also--please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

First welcome
        Did the RV repair service check the battery disconnect switch? Make sure it is fully on (key cant be removed). The other thought is how are you recharging your battery's while boondocking. If it the stock solar set up it may not be putting out enough for your set up.

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

...he DC power will totally go out even if the battery is charged. ...
          Looking for a clarification. You mean EVERYTHING? Lights? Water pump? Control Panel?

Something I learned on my 20 year old popup the REALLY hard way. (Spent weeks trying to diagnose this). Check your Battery ground. Do you absolutely have a good connection on negative terminal to the battery (probably ok if you had an RV tech replace the battery), and from the battery to the chassis?

The chassis connection is what got me, the steel on the frame on my old popup had rusted where the battery terminal connected, and gave a "poor" ground. Voltage reported pretty low at my Converter (Like 11.3 volts) and if I turned on a load (Like the radio) it would drop to 9 volts. When I pulled the connection off the frame, cleaned it up with sandpaper, and reattached, Voltage read 12.8, and didn't drop when I turned on a load.

Moral of the story: Check your Battery ground connection.

*Edit. I just realized you may not have the technical expertise to do this. But it's an avenue of investigation, and I'm sure we can talk you thru it.
          Mike
          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
            Did the RV repair service check the battery disconnect switch? Make sure it is fully on (key cant be removed).
            ^^^ This ^^^
            Brian & Kellie
            2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
            2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
            2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I think if it was the disconnect then she would not have DC power when on the generator (pretty sure the switch is on the other side of the converter). I agree it sounds like you are depleting the battery. Howard is correct that without a battery monitor (I am partial to the Victron BMV-712) it's like driving with no gas gauge. When you run the generator for a couple hours and then turn it off so you have DC power again for a while?

FYI depending how big your new converter is, if your one BattleBorn is depleted you probably need to run the generator for 2-3 hours (guessing it's 40 amp) to completely recharge it.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
              X