No announcement yet.

Electrical Issues/‘21 2910BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just checked again, after being out of the trailer and just sitting in the back of my truck for about the last 2.5 hours and battery is at 13.2v

v/r Charlie

Comment

Obrracing -- I've been trying to keep up with this thread but admit to being a bit confused at this point. In post 3 the problem was described as I am not getting any power for the bathroom lights/fan, bedroom lights, and awning lights, only one speaker light comes on. They all either work or not, intermittently.

FYI, I think at this point you've verified that the lack of indicator lights on the Power Distribution Panel (with the fuses out) appears to be an indication-only issue.

The latest posts make it read like the battery voltage and/or converter is suspect?

Please re-document the symptoms you're troubleshooting along with any and all steps taken to isolate the issue.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

There is one other thing to check. Pull the bath fan lower shroud and check the positive wire splice connection to the fan motor. GD daisy chains power feeds so it is possible one positive wire feeds them all.. Same for the light switches. After removing the outer switch cover (pops off) you will find 2 screws. Remove them and pull the switch from the wall. Gently pull the extra wire out and look for the positive wire splice and check it. From the interment working in your last post I am guessing that at one of the positive power junctions/splices you have a loose connection as you redid all the negative connections.

Just a thought
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Obrracing -- I've been trying to keep up with this thread but admit to being a bit confused at this point. In post 3 the problem was described as I am not getting any power for the bathroom lights/fan, bedroom lights, and awning lights, only one speaker light comes on. They all either work or not, intermittently.

FYI, I think at this point you've verified that the lack of indicator lights on the Power Distribution Panel (with the fuses out) appears to be an indication-only issue.

The latest posts make it read like the battery voltage and/or converter is suspect?

Please re-document the symptoms you're troubleshooting along with any and all steps taken to isolate the issue.
          You are correct. Issue is the intermittent operation of all three of those things. Either all work or they don’t work. The last couple times, coincidently I have been able to get them to work after turning off and on the kitchen fan multiple times. Brian, on here, recommended I get the battery checked and the kitchen fan might just be coincidence. I did that today and it is operating fine according to the shop. They put it under some pretty significant loads and it worked perfectly. My gut tells me there is a short somewhere in the daisychain of the lights. The converter seems to be working and all my fuses are fine. The only anomaly with the fuse panel is when I pull fuses #4 for the bathroom lights, #5 for the refer and furnace and #9 for the awning lights, I do not get any fault light indication. That is the gist of everything.

I have checked the voltage to the panel and all the fuses, everything seems fine. As well as the actual compass connect panel.

I think that updates everything.

v/r Charlie

Comment

The fuse panel not lighting up has been reported before , I had one on mine do it last year. If battery and all fuses are good then checking the wiring should hopefully result in the culprit being found.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              The fuse panel not lighting up has been reported before , I had one on mine do it last year. If battery and all fuses are good then checking the wiring should hopefully result in the culprit being found.

Brian
              Brian, do you mean the wiring from the actual switches/fan? Or do you think I need to do something at the panel? GD told me it is fine to have wires doubled up there, where they are on the side, by my fuses…

v/r Charles Orf

Comment

Brian
                Brian, when you mention wiring, are you referring to the wiring from the lights and switches to each other , not the fuse panel wiring? I am afraid to mess things up, popping off the covers. I will add Grand Design told me it was fine to have the wires doubled up on the panel next to my fuses. I’m waiting to hear back from them, originally they thought it might be the switch panel/Compass Connect, but that looks fine to me and there’s hardly any wires to it anyway.

Sorry for this taking so long.

Charlie

Comment

The blown fuse indicator light will not light if the circuit has a break in it when the fuse is pulled. That could mean that the switch that turns on/off the load is off or open. It could mean there is a break in the circuit, an open ground, if the switch is on. The indicator led needs a complete circuit for it to light up.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Obrracing View Post

Brian, when you mention wiring, are you referring to the wiring from the lights and switches to each other , not the fuse panel wiring? I am afraid to mess things up, popping off the covers. I will add Grand Design told me it was fine to have the wires doubled up on the panel next to my fuses. I’m waiting to hear back from them, originally they thought it might be the switch panel/Compass Connect, but that looks fine to me and there’s hardly any wires to it anyway.

Sorry for this taking so long.

Charlie
                    The wiring at the fan would be the best place to start, I believe that this has been mentioned before. The items that you are having issues with might indicate where the problem is, the trick will be to find the beginning of the daisy chain of wiring which might be the fan or a light you will just have to start at one and check until you find the issue.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                      The blown fuse indicator light will not light if the circuit has a break in it when the fuse is pulled. That could mean that the switch that turns on/off the load is off or open. It could mean there is a break in the circuit, an open ground, if the switch is on. The indicator led needs a complete circuit for it to light up.
                      thanks, Ted. I should have tried the furnace when all this happened, but I had the slide in, couldn’t reach the thermostat to try to see if it was also affected. It is weird that the awning lights are affected, weird thing about those is when they weren’t, only one of the speaker lights would turn on.

v/r Charlie

Comment

Brian
                        Brian, thanks, assume you mean wiring at the switches and fan…I will have to see if that is something in my skill level or requiring a service pro.

v/r Charlie

Comment

Obrracing -- an example of a wiring issue causing a problem is documented here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-inop-easy-fix

For clarification, what's apparently happening in the circuit is there's an intermittent open, or as TedS put it, a break in the circuit. If there was a short the fuse would blow.

Since so many different circuits are affected, my suspicion is there's a group of -12v return ("ground") wires causing the issue (similar to what was shown in the linked thread above).

TedS -- I'd never considered the fuse light being inoperative if there is a break in that fuse's circuit. Now that I think about it, that explains why all the slots without fuses don't have their LED lit. (Thanks for the post.)

Howard
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the update, Howard. Looks like I am stuck pulling some wires out of light switches and fans.
                            Last edited by Obrracing; 09-02-2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately you will find that in wiring not a lot of things make sense unless you are the one that wired it. As to the kitchen light making everything work, it just means you tried the circuit enough times until it got enough connection to make it work. Think of it like trying to stick weld, enough taps and eventually it will light off. As mentioned, most of the wiring is grouped into a large wire nut somewhere. Guessing that it's a ground side since the affected circuits are all on their own fuses. What you can do is try pulling the grounds one by one with all of the affected stuff on (be extremely careful playing with live circuits) to see if you can isolate it to one single wire that kills the affected items. This will tell you which wire to start tracing.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks, Joseph…that may be above my pay grade…still under warranty, I may take it in, since it was not something I could obviously diagnose and fix. I guess we will see when I get it out of storage again on the next couple of days…

v/r Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                X