AC Beat Frequency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Beat Frequency

When our Atwood AC is working hard (compressor running continuously) it develops a beat frequency at about 1Hz . . . audible only inside the trailer. I have removed the interior cover and can’t find anything loose (pressing against various brackets and panels does nothing). I have removed the exterior cover and can’t find anything loose, but even more confusing . . . the beat frequency is not audible outside . . . right at the AC with cover removed!

When the compressor is cycling on and off (normal “light load operation) this noise does not happen.

Cooling ability seems normal at all times.

Any ideas ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

I'm not an acoustic engineer, but is it possible vibration from the AC becomes harmonic at another point... say refrigerator, theatre seating, TV mounting? The audible frequency may be some distance from the vibration source.

Mike
    Mike & Sonya
    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
    Blue Ox SwayPro
    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      When our Atwood AC is working hard (compressor running continuously) it develops a beat frequency at about 1Hz . . . audible only inside the trailer. I have removed the interior cover and can’t find anything loose (pressing against various brackets and panels does nothing). I have removed the exterior cover and can’t find anything loose, but even more confusing . . . the beat frequency is not audible outside . . . right at the AC with cover removed!

When the compressor is cycling on and off (normal “light load operation) this noise does not happen.

Cooling ability seems normal at all times.

Any ideas ?

Rob
      Must be a 70's throw back any hippies around?

What little I remember from college - could it be dynamic harmonics setting up in the lower case / fan shroud? Did you press on the fan shroud? You can try adding Automotive self stick sound proofing to a few spots and see if that changes it. The only other place would be motor/fan vibration reflecting off of the fan shroud downward (echo chamber). My guess in under continuous load it heats up differently and something changes. Just brainstorming. Last did you make sure all screws and fasteners were tight?

I did that to my house big kitchen SS sink as when we first installed it - it had a bad reverberation when filling with water. Put the stuff on the bottom and sides and the noise went away. I got mine at the local auto parts, but Amazon has a lot of choices.

Hope this helps

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I recently learned that one can adjust the air flow with the directional vents to achieve the same airflow from each vent. Being as the ac duct is a closed system this adjustment is made to achieve maximum efficiency. This is made possible with the use of an air flow meter, which I now have to adjust mine. I wonder if this could be the issue with the "humm" you are hearing. It also could be a loose piece of foil tape in the duct work.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the ideas . . . looking for a natural frequency being lit up by the compressor. My initial idea as well. The difference is that this only happens after a while with continuous run of the compressor. I am wondering If the compressor is starving for refrigerant . . . but cooling performance seems normal. No connection points to measure system pressures or add refrigerant . . . that I can find.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rob, you might want to check the lines running from the condenser to the evaporator. As the unit runs hard for long periods of time, the lines could condensate and freeze causing the flexibility to go away. When this happens harmonics from the compressor will travel through the hard objects at mach chicken (higher than through air). While checking things also verify the torque on the hold down bolts on the AC to ensure it has not compression set the seal or the seal gone out.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Rob - Have you tightened the four main bolts on that Atwood? I'd start there. If you get a chance, check out this installation video for the Atwood Air Command that e-Trailer produced about 4 years ago. It might prompt you on areas to check for the oscillation.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...t15025-21.aspx

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Maybe it's the fan and compressor running at 1Hz speed difference. Dry bearings could drag the fan speed down a little.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I like Jim and Ted's suggestions. Check mounting points including isolation rubber, and maybe the bearing could be giving an issue after it heats up after running a while.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

A data point for you Rob since I have the same ACs. I've never experienced what you are describing.
                    John & Kathy
                    2014 Reflection 303RLS
                    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
                      A data point for you Rob since I have the same ACs. I've never experienced what you are describing.
                      Hi John,

I was hoping that you would chime in with your knowledge on the same AC unit. We have never (in 8 years!) used our AC as much as in the last two weeks. Heat in Florida has been brutal for this time of year. I was wondering if this was “normal” after several continuous hours of compressor running . . . I don’t think it is. Now . . . what to do about this .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi John,

I was hoping that you would chime in with your knowledge on the same AC unit. We have never (in 8 years!) used our AC as much as in the last two weeks. Heat in Florida has been brutal for this time of year. I was wondering if this was “normal” after several continuous hours of compressor running . . . I don’t think it is. Now . . . what to do about this .

Rob
                        Do you just have the one or do you also have a bedroom AC?

John & Kathy
                        2014 Reflection 303RLS
                        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Do you just have the one or do you also have a bedroom AC?
                          Just one AC . . . so, nothing to compare to.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just one AC . . . so, nothing to compare to.

Rob
                            Brainstorming here
                            Could you be getting an imbalance sound between the compressor motor and the fan motor similar to a twin-screw boat when the props are out of sink? Loose mounts might cause that as folks have mentioned. I know - go back to my corner

Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Rob, I know the home AC units (especially window units) will get a harmonic in them as they run for extended periods of time. I think it has to do with the steady state of the compressor and the compressed fluid creating a surge wave in the tubing. Remember steady state power is not steady frequency. The frequency of the power grid is cyclic, it has a period to it where it fluctuates between about 58 Hz and 62 Hz.

You may not have noticed it in home AC when in climates in the northern climates where heat and humidity are not as high.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X