No announcement yet.

Furrion AC Temp Sensor Relocation: Alternative, parts-free method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks so much. Very frustrating problem. I'm glad I did not need to pay for the kit.

Comment

Following up on this post after first camp with it. We're in Arizona and it's unseasonably cool, meaning we used both the heat and AC yesterday.

AC works flawlessly with this mod. It works the way it always should have.

Heat cycles on and off way too frequently for my liking. Unfortunately, the heat outlet on my trailer basically shoots warm air at the location of the thermostat. Not sure if we'll need the heat tonight, but if we do, I'm going to redirect the airflow a bit by turning the louver away from the temp sensor and putting my trash can in the way.

But we barely ever use the heat. We have space heaters for that. All in all, I am happy with this mod.
      2022 Imagine 2600RB
      2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Update to my previous post. After posting that, I had an issue where the temp in my camper kept going up and up and up. I checked the AC unit and the coils were a block of frost. It didn't take long to thaw them and get cooling again.

The freeze sensor is installed correctly I think. The copper diode is touching the fins on the coil so it should have detected the freezing condition.

Only other thing I'm wondering is if my RV-Air filter was restricting airflow a bit more than the Furrion unit likes and due to less airflow, it froze up. I'll try next time with the regular filter (if you can call it that) in place.

Would be a real bummer if relocating the room temp sensor causes freeze ups. Not sure why that'd be.
        2022 Imagine 2600RB
        2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Originally posted by uwskier View Post
          Would be a real bummer if relocating the room temp sensor causes freeze ups. Not sure why that'd be.
          I doubt the sensor relocation is the issue. Low airflow due to a too-restrictive filter can cause freeze ups as you suspect. A quick internet search turned up this from https://thefunoutdoors.com/rvs/rv-ai...ner-freeze-up/

Problem 4: Dirty RV A/C Unit Air Filter

The issues caused by a dirty or clogged air filter reduce air flow, which is the most common culprit of RV AC freeze ups.

I'm equating "dirty" with "restrictive".

Look forward to your next update.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

At what setting do you generally run your fan speed (high, low, auto)?
            Mike and (RIP Karen)
            2021 2600RB
            2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

At what setting do you generally run your fan speed (high, low, auto)?
              Believe I had it on auto at the time.
              2022 Imagine 2600RB
              2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

I’m having the same problem with the ac freezing up. I have not done the temp relocation kit yet and Grand design is sending me a kit. I had mine on auto and it froze up. That was the first night in the new trailer(2022 transcend 265BH). The second night I had to use dry mode just to keep the trailer cool as the a/c was short cycling on “cool” mode. I’m hoping once I get the temp sensor relocation I can run the AC on auto. I have seen other posts that say auto doesn’t work well and to keep the fan running on these units.
                2022 Transcend XPLOR 265BH
                2013 F-150 Raptor
                1998 Ram 2500

Comment

Originally posted by tylerchampion View Post
                  I’m having the same problem with the ac freezing up. I have not done the temp relocation kit yet and Grand design is sending me a kit. I had mine on auto and it froze up. That was the first night in the new trailer(2022 transcend 265BH). The second night I had to use dry mode just to keep the trailer cool as the a/c was short cycling on “cool” mode. I’m hoping once I get the temp sensor relocation I can run the AC on auto. I have seen other posts that say auto doesn’t work well and to keep the fan running on these units.
                  Welcome to the forum, tylerchampion.

If you look up inside the return air duct (you'll have to pull out the filter) see if the freeze sensor is installed as shown in the pic below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Freeze Sensor.JPG
Views:	1314
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	83323

You'll also want to check the installation of what's called the Air Distribution Box to ensure there's no air leakage between the intake and discharge sections. While you're inspecting that make sure that roof air isn't being drawn in to the system. (Chad from Changing Lanes has an excellent A/C maintenance video. Start at about the 16:00 mark in the video for the applicable section.)

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome to the forum, tylerchampion.

If you look up inside the return air duct (you'll have to pull out the filter) see if the freeze sensor is installed as shown in the pic below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Freeze Sensor.JPG
Views:	1314
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	83323

You'll also want to check the installation of what's called the Air Distribution Box to ensure there's no air leakage between the intake and discharge sections. While you're inspecting that make sure that roof air isn't being drawn in to the system. (Chad from Changing Lanes has an excellent A/C maintenance video. Start at about the 16:00 mark in the video for the applicable section.)

Howard
                    Mine is installed lower on the coils than that but it's oriented in that fashion. Do these things freeze from the top down or bottom up (what I'd suspect). Also, when I let it thaw, no water dripped into the cabin. Where do these units dump drippings? Onto the roof somehow?
                    2022 Imagine 2600RB
                    2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Mine is installed lower on the coils than that but it's oriented in that fashion. Do these things freeze from the top down or bottom up (what I'd suspect). Also, when I let it thaw, no water dripped into the cabin. Where do these units dump drippings? Onto the roof somehow?
                      If it's fully seated and close to what's shown it's probably fine. Yes, there's a drip tray that collects water and directs it onto the roof.

Comment

I have learned on our Dometic model that in high humidity to run the fan on low and not auto mode, spoke to the Dometic guy at a Rally and this was his recommendation. This may work for other models but not sure but it has worked well for us.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Howard
                          Howard, I very much appreciate this post. When I removed the grill/filter to find the room temp sensor, the freeze sensor dangled down into the cabin. I was unsure where it belonged. Thanks!

Mike
                          Last edited by NoPeeking; 04-26-2022, 08:41 PM.
                          Mike & Sonya
                          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                          Blue Ox SwayPro
                          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

I’ve relocated the temp sensors and both AC and heat work perfectly, but the AC does freeze if humidity inside the unit gets too high from cooking, showers or weather outside. I’ve found that running the AC on the dry setting an hour or so each day helps a lot.
                            2022 3100RD
                            2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
                            Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

See link for and search Temperature Sensor Relocation Kit
                              2022 Solitude 2930RL
                              2019 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax leveled with Airbags

Comment

Originally posted by LisanJim View Post
                                See link for and search Temperature Sensor Relocation Kit
                                No need to purchase from Castle Winch. If you call GD Customer Service and request a kit they will send you one free. They get them from Castle Winch.
                                Mike and (RIP Karen)
                                2021 2600RB
                                2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Working...
                                X