No announcement yet.

Furrion AC Temp Sensor Relocation: Alternative, parts-free method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am here to add to this. I just purchased a 2023 2800bh. Just went down this rabbit hole with GD and Furrion tech support.
    the new thermostat and upgraded parts has absolutely nothing to do with the A/c. The ac room sensor still lives in the airbox the new thermostat sensor ONLY applies to the furnace. (Which ironically the put a heat duct directly across from.

To add to this the two sensors report wildly different room temperatures by about 7 degrees. I’m still trying to figure out when to run fan in different modes during heat and a/c cycles

Comment

Originally posted by Becon776 View Post
      I am here to add to this. I just purchased a 2023 2800bh. Just went down this rabbit hole with GD and Furrion tech support.
      the new thermostat and upgraded parts has absolutely nothing to do with the A/c. The ac room sensor still lives in the airbox the new thermostat sensor ONLY applies to the furnace. (Which ironically the put a heat duct directly across from.

To add to this the two sensors report wildly different room temperatures by about 7 degrees. I’m still trying to figure out when to run fan in different modes during heat and a/c cycles
      The upgraded parts did fix all of my problems. It appears that they changed the algorithm in the control box, as it fixed my short cycling issues. As far as the new sensor on the "thermostat" that only applies to the furnace, I just installed a adjustable register on the heat outlet near the thermostat and leave it closed. I am very happy with the results with the new parts.
      Mike and (RIP Karen)
      2021 2600RB
      2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by Becon776 View Post

funny you made that post! I just got my “Temp sensor relocation kit” from grand design. While I’m grateful for the extra parts, it is just the same parts and no fix. I called Furrion customer support and got the same answer that if u move the sensor it voids the ac warranty and they don’t have a fix for it. Guess I’m gonna do the home fix and if I need warranty work put the stuff they sent me back on.
        • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
        • 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 6.6 Duramax (LML)
        • Family Travels with kids and dog
        • Love cool upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by AAMAFIGHTER View Post

funny you made that post! I just got my “Temp sensor relocation kit” from grand design. While I’m grateful for the extra parts, it is just the same parts and no fix. I called Furrion customer support and got the same answer that if u move the sensor it voids the ac warranty and they don’t have a fix for it. Guess I’m gonna do the home fix and if I need warranty work put the stuff they sent me back on.
          Since your trailer is a 2023, I'm not surprised that the parts that they sent you were the same as what you have. I would think that by the 2023 model year they would have been using the upgraded parts. I am surprised that you and @Becon776​ are having problems. My upgraded parts fixed my problems, and I can honestly say that the Furrion A/C is the best, most efficient one that I've had so far in all of my trailers.
          Mike and (RIP Karen)
          2021 2600RB
          2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

AAMAFIGHTER

Have you recontacted Furrion or Grand Design and gave them the part number from the item that you have received? They may have inadvertently sent the wrong thing.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

AZMike i was thinking the same thing about the 2023. But I guess not. I did call Furrion and give them the part number. I might try to install the new one and see how it runs. We’ll be in florida next week so if it isn’t working right I’ll do the mod out there. The ac units definitely seem high quality. Grand design and Furrion customer service was both awesome and the trailer is great! We love it
              • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
              • Love cool upgrades

Comment

AZMike Country Campers is there a possibility that it’s the same part but upgraded firmware or something?
                • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
                • Love cool upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by AAMAFIGHTER View Post
                  AZMike Country Campers is there a possibility that it’s the same part but upgraded firmware or something?
                  I think the only difference is that the thermostat will have a temp sensor probe of some kind on it. AZMike will have more information on the difference.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The one that’s on my trailer already has the temp sensor on the thermostat. That’s the one for the furnace which doesn’t apply in my setup anyway.
                    • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
                    • Love cool upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I think the only difference is that the thermostat will have a temp sensor probe of some kind on it. AZMike will have more information on the difference.

Brian
                      Yes, the new "thermostat" has a temp sensor poking out from the bottom, and is only used during heating mode. The sensor for the A/C is still in the intake plenum (on the controller). I don't know for sure, but the new parts fixed my "short cycling" issues. It would make sense to me that they changed the algorithm in the firmware of the new controller.
                      Mike and (RIP Karen)
                      2021 2600RB
                      2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

Yes, the new "thermostat" has a temp sensor poking out from the bottom, and is only used during heating mode. The sensor for the A/C is still in the intake plenum (on the controller). I don't know for sure, but the new parts fixed my "short cycling" issues. It would make sense to me that they changed the algorithm in the firmware of the new controller.
                        I can't wrap my brain around why a "fix" for the air conditioning is a sensor attached to the thermostat that only controls the furnace. It's also a mystery to me how a relatively simple device (the thermostat) can now have two independent sensor inputs when it was originally designed for one (from the plenum).

Did the new parts received include a schematic or instructions that can be posted here? I'd like to read them.

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I can't wrap my brain around why a "fix" for the air conditioning is a sensor attached to the thermostat that only controls the furnace. It's also a mystery to me how a relatively simple device (the thermostat) can now have two independent sensor inputs when it was originally designed for one (from the plenum).

Did the new parts received include a schematic or instructions that can be posted here? I'd like to read them.

Howard
                          There was no schematic, diagram or any detailed instructions with the parts I received, as it was basically plug and play. All of the wires were labeled. The only difficulty was dealing with the 120V source wires. It kind of makes sense that the sensor for the A/C is in the plenum because Furrion designed it as a multi zone system (up to four zones). The cooling temp is set at the thermostat, and each A/C maintains that temperature independently via it's sensor. Since virtually every trailer has only one furnace (and they run on 12 volts) the sensor in the A/C plenum is not used to regulate heat, and 120V is not used to circulate the air. We all know that the performance of the propane powered furnaces are marginal at best anyway. What Furrion should have done was design a single zone system for smaller trailers (like my 26 footer). BTW, when this fiasco first started a couple of years ago, when you called GD or Furrion about the poor heating performance, their response was "Do you run the A/C fan when the furnace is on?". What? How can you run the fan when you're off grid and have no 120V? If I am connected to shore power I tend to primarily use my small ceramic heater. I agree that it is a poorly designed system as a whole, but the A/C itself is very efficient and I am very happy with mine after all of my fixes (new thermostat and controller, RV Airflow, and sealing the poorly sealed ducts in the ceiling with aluminum foil tape).
                          Mike and (RIP Karen)
                          2021 2600RB
                          2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Hi all- I have a 2023 Transcend 247BH and I’ve been dealing with most of the issues stated here for heat as well as A/C even with upgraded thermostat/wall unit that has the temp sensors build in.

1. When I first got my unit in May and used the the heat this sensor was 10 degrees off which confused me and seemed difficult to get the temp we wanted to stay comfortable. The dealer then replaced the thermostat and said it was fixed but the next time I tried it again I saw a 7-10 degree difference (I think they had it on AC mode which displayed an accurate temp but the moment you flipped it to heat the temp jumped as it was now using the wall sensor)

2. so the biggest problem I’m seeing is AC short cycling at night when the outside temp drops and the sun goes down. My ac compressor will come on and run for less than a minute as you can watch the temp drop from 74 to 70 within 45 seconds… then the compressor will kick on again a few min later and this continues all night. It’s only slightly better on low mode than auto but not by much. I have not tried dry mode yet. I’ve tried pulling the sensor though the filter, tried making sure the plenum tape is secured, etc. ( I will get some duct tape and make sure everything is sealed as suggested here as well)

my question for those having issues still with these new thermostats with the sensor, is anyone still using the fix from the beginning of this post to move the AC sensor to the thermostat location using the extra wires? I know I would then have two sensors at that location but at least they would be consistent and probably reduce the short cycling. Or is there a way I can eliminate the AC sensor and now just use the one on the thermostat for both AC and heat?
                            Patrick
                            Toyota Tundra CrewMax
                            2023 Transcend Xplor 247BH

Comment

CampingCoffee Double check that your dumps or a vent is not pointing directly at the stat on the wall. I have to be careful with our Dometic that the dump will blow directly on the stat and cause the short cycling as you describe.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks Jlawles2. The dump is closed and all the vents are blowing the opposite direction. I think this is still related to the design of the AC using the temp sensor on the filter side of the AC. I think I need to relocate it to solve the issue
                                Patrick
                                Toyota Tundra CrewMax
                                2023 Transcend Xplor 247BH

Comment

Working...
                                X