No announcement yet.

Furrion AC Temp Sensor Relocation: Alternative, parts-free method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope that one of the moderators or someone from GD can verify this. One of the members in another forum posted that his neighbor called GD for the sensor relocation kit, and they sent him an "enhanced" thermostat instead, but without instructions. Is GD truly sending out the new thermostats now?
    Last edited by Country Campers; 05-11-2022, 05:41 AM. Reason: Rule #15
    Mike and (RIP Karen)
    2021 2600RB
    2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

AZMike

It is possible that they are doing this but we have not heard. With all of the supply chain issues it is hard to keep up with what and when they are doing things. Calling GD for info is always best.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

New to the forum/ site.
        How can we tell if we have the enhanced “thermostat”. I just got my 2022 Transced Xplor 251 BH last week. Went camping day after pickup and had some issues with temperature readings not appearing to be accurate. Need to see if I should call for kit or not.
        Danny & Michelle
        2020 Ram 1500 (5.7 Hemi)
        2022 Transcend Xplor 251BH

Comment

Originally posted by Drmtrooper View Post
          New to the forum/ site.
          How can we tell if we have the enhanced “thermostat”. I just got my 2022 Transced Xplor 251 BH last week. Went camping day after pickup and had some issues with temperature readings not appearing to be accurate. Need to see if I should call for kit or not.
          If your temperature does not seem to be accurate you probably have the original Furrion setup (assuming you have a Furrion A/C). Call Grand Design and give them your VIN. They should be able to tell you.
          Mike and (RIP Karen)
          2021 2600RB
          2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

If your temperature does not seem to be accurate you probably have the original Furrion setup (assuming you have a Furrion A/C). Call Grand Design and give them your VIN. They should be able to tell you.
            AZMike thank you I will give them a call next week. I will try to update when get new info.
            Danny & Michelle
            2020 Ram 1500 (5.7 Hemi)
            2022 Transcend Xplor 251BH

Comment

Uwskier - Thanks a Million!!

I checked my wiring last weekend and I did indeed have the 7 wires you show in your pictures. Moving the temperature sensor was a snap and wow, what an improvement!! We were getting all kinds of short cycling of the A/C just on a 90 degree day and it took forever to cool down. In the evening the short cycling drove me crazy because I know it's not good for the unit to do that. After moving the sensor when we start the A/C it runs constant as it should to cool down the camper (2800BH) and then in the evening it still cycles but much, much longer on and off times which helps the life of the A/C.

I really appreciate you sharing the tip and definitely appreciate all the great pictures, it not only helped me get it done fast, but convinced my wife it was a quick and easy thing to do (which it was).

Thanks again!

Mike
              2021 2800BH
              2021 F150 Crew

Comment

Glad it's working well for you! It's been great for us too. I only ever had that one instance of freezing and I think it's because I was running on "auto" for fan speed. Even if I just run it on low now, even with my thicker "RV-Air" filter, I haven't had another freeze up, even camping right on the beach in CA where the humidity was obviously very high.
                2022 Imagine 2600RB
                2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

We have a Grand Design Imagine 2600RB that we purchased in November, 2021, before Furrion redesigned the system to put the sensor in the wall controller (which is where it should have always been!). We have had the temperature control problems and our dealer did the "fix" of moving the sensor to protrude from the A/C unit, which did actually fix the HEATING issues, but only made the COOLING issues worse (8 degree difference between controller reading and thermometer reading). Anyway, in the thread above it is mentioned that "...there is at least a retrofit being planned" and "...I would be very interested if they (Grand Design) offer an upgrade kit.​" Has either of these things happened? Is there a retrofit kit available to the DIY'ers or has Grand Design put out an upgrade kit yet? Our dealer wasn't aware of any, and didn't seem too interested in researching it, but this is quite important to us as the RV is under the dealer's warranty through March of next year and if there is a kit out there, I feel the dealer should by installing it as a repair under warranty. With winter coming, my RV will be in snowbound storage, so we need to get this resolved by the end of November or I might not be able to get it to them to do it before April 1 next year. Any info on this would be much appreciated!
                  2022 Imagine 2600RB
                  2010 F-150 Crew Cab

Comment

JokenJulian -- give GD Customer Service a call. (Phone # on "business card", right side of home page of this forum.) I am not sure of the status of parts, but there is a second edition of the thermostat.

Also, noted that was your first post, so please check out the Welcome Letter if you'd like to know more about this forum. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

prahawalker -- moved your post to it's own thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-short-cycles

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                        prahawalker -- moved your post to it's own thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-short-cycles

Howard
                        Thank you, Howard.
                        Jeff & Pam
                        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Comment

First time using the ac in our new rig and we have the dreaded Furrion ac issue… add another project! Very glad for this forum and the people who upload solutions!
                          • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
                          • 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 6.6 Duramax (LML)
                          • Family Travels with kids and dog
                          • Love cool upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by AAMAFIGHTER View Post
                            First time using the ac in our new rig and we have the dreaded Furrion ac issue… add another project! Very glad for this forum and the people who upload solutions!
                            You should not look at it as dreaded. I love my Furrion A/C. Once I installed the upgraded parts, RV Airflow, and taped up the ceiling ducts I am very satisfied with the performance and also how much quieter it is. Your trailer, being a 2023, might have the new parts already.
                            Mike and (RIP Karen)
                            2021 2600RB
                            2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

You should not look at it as dreaded. I love my Furrion A/C. Once I installed the upgraded parts, RV Airflow, and taped up the ceiling ducts I am very satisfied with the performance and also how much quieter it is. Your trailer, being a 2023, might have the new parts already.
                              What do you mean by taped up the ceiling ducts? Also air flow? I was just going to reroute the sensor to under the thermostat like the first post. I saw where people are calling grand design and getting some kind of kit but is it worth that? Or are the extra wires pretty much like the kit?

they do seem to be great ac units. We are still camping and I’ve rigged a bungee cord to pull the sensor out from under the intake. It’s better but not great.
                              • 2023 Imagine 2800BH
                              • 2013 GMC Sierra 2500 6.6 Duramax (LML)
                              • Family Travels with kids and dog
                              • Love cool upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by AAMAFIGHTER View Post

What do you mean by taped up the ceiling ducts? Also air flow? I was just going to reroute the sensor to under the thermostat like the first post. I saw where people are calling grand design and getting some kind of kit but is it worth that? Or are the extra wires pretty much like the kit?

they do seem to be great ac units. We are still camping and I’ve rigged a bungee cord to pull the sensor out from under the intake. It’s better but not great.
                                The channels are not taped to the ceiling ducts very well. A couple of mine were leaking into the roof. You have to pop off the ceiling registers to inspect and seal better with duct tape. If your Furrion thermostat has a small black sensor poking out from the bottom, then you have the upgraded parts already. If not then GD Customer Service should send you the "Temperature Sensor Relocation Kit" if you call them and ask for it. The RV Airflow Systems upgrade is separate (go to their website) but I have read that some newer Imagines have this installed already. If you remove the A/C shroud it will be obvious if you have it. If you have the 2nd A/C, I'm not sure how the thermostat upgrade will affect the 2nd A/C. I only have one.
                                Mike and (RIP Karen)
                                2021 2600RB
                                2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Working...
                                X