Toilet Leaking at Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Leaking at Floor

I have a Transcend Xplor 265BH with the Thetford toilet. When using the toilet there is no water that leaks/sprays anywhere that is visible, but over a period of time I will notice a small puddle forming near the toilet and floor near the front of the toilet. Since water isn’t permanently in the toilet like a conventional home toilet, I am confused how that small puddle could form over time with no one using the toilet. I haven’t tried tightening the flange seal bolts, or replacing the flange seal, I am just trying to wrap my head around how water could be forming in that spot.​
    Last edited by ncitro; 03-01-2023, 08:38 PM. Reason: Removed Bold Font

Could be the foot valve is leaking. First check the hose connection at the back of the valve for a leak.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

gehrifamily welcome to the forum, just a note I edited your post to remove the bold font you used. We all that everyone use the standard font to help with readability, particularly on mobile devices. Here's a link to the forum rules:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...63-forum-rules

Now as to your issue I'd agree with Ted, the first thing I'd look at is the foot pedal.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Agreed that the foot pedal could be leaking and would start there. If you search online or this forum for Thetford pedal leaking you'll find multiple reports of this issue and the repair using a valve repair kit from Thetford.

Unfortunately ours is leaking and I have the repair kit on hand, I just haven't been motivated enough to fix it. We are weekend warriors and being in Canada means we only camp 4-5 months of the year, so our toilet gets low use. A towel below the pedal has been my mitigation strategy
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Ours developed a leak off and on on our winter run. Bought the repair kit in Rockport and I'll be installing it when I dewinterize it next month. Not looking forward to it but, you gota do what you gota do.
          Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
          TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post
            Ours developed a leak off and on on our winter run. Bought the repair kit in Rockport and I'll be installing it when I dewinterize it next month. Not looking forward to it but, you gota do what you gota do.
            With any luck, you'll have enough clearance beside the toilet and can remove the pedal without lifting the toilet. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do that with ours with doing a bit of body gymnastics. That'll be worth it IMO as then you're mainly dealing with fresh water, and with any luck, it'll only be fresh water you get on your hands ​​​​​​
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

With any luck, you'll have enough clearance beside the toilet and can remove the pedal without lifting the toilet. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do that with ours with doing a bit of body gymnastics. That'll be worth it IMO as then you're mainly dealing with fresh water, and with any luck, it'll only be fresh water you get on your hands ​​​​​​
              Well, I had the clearance to "remove" the handle but, I can't seem to get enough power smacking it with the palm of my hand or a rubber mallet. Thought I had it on and preformed a function check and the thing flew off, now, along with the spring. I told my wife if the toilet comes out, a Dometic 310 is going in. Only have 10" from the flange bolts to the rear wall so a 320 is out.

Question. Is the upgrade worth it to a 310?
              TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Well, I had the clearance to "remove" the handle but, I can't seem to get enough power smacking it with the palm of my hand or a rubber mallet. Thought I had it on and preformed a function check and the thing flew off, now, along with the spring. I told my wife if the toilet comes out, a Dometic 310 is going in. Only have 10" from the flange bolts to the rear wall so a 320 is out.

Question. Is the upgrade worth it to a 310?
                Just in avoiding trying to get the lever back on the old toilet, I vote YES. Replacing an RV toilet is actually a lot easier, IMHO, than a house one.
                John
                2018 Momentum 395M
                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

BobinICT . . . as JBill9694 John says . . . removing a toilet from an RV is a relatively easy thing to do. I have had our Thetford out a couple of times. Two flange bolts and a water connection. You could pull the Thetford to get the lever properly reassembled on the workbench and then put it back. You will need a new foam flange gasket. Our Thetford had problems early on which I blame on construction debris. Once we got past that it has been problem free.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Well, the Thetford is out and the 310 is in. If I was willing to wait a week or more and gamble with UPS destroying the 310 I could have saved about $60. I now have a 1/4 turn shutoff valve and braided line for the water connection. Been wanting to install a shutoff valve anyways. Not sure if I'm keen with all that mechanical stuff down in the drop zone but we shall see. Because the the handle flew off during my attempted reassembly, and the design of the little ridge to hold it in, I could see it exploding at the worst possible time like out in the boondocks. I wasn't willing to role that pair of dice.

Comment

Well, the Thetford is out and the 310 is in. If I was willing to wait a week or more and gamble with UPS destroying the 310 I could have saved about $60. I now have a 1/4 turn shutoff valve and braided line for the water connection. Been wanting to install a shutoff valve anyways. Not sure if I'm keen with all that mechanical stuff down in the drop zone but we shall see. Because the the handle flew off during my attempted reassembly, and the design of the little ridge to hold it in, I could see it exploding at the worst possible time like out in the boondocks. I wasn't willing to role that pair of dice.
                      Good move replacing the Thetford. In our previous trailer that had a Thetford, that “little ridge “ did indeed wear away after two seasons of camping and the pedal did fly off! Very poor design. Replaced it with a 310 and loved it so that was the first thing I replaced in our GD 3100RD. By the way all you who still have the Thetford, you can try to reinsert the pedal and wrap a strap or belt around it and the base of the Thetford and the pedal to hold it in place until you can replace the whole sorry thing.
                      2022 3100RD
                      2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
                      Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Good move replacing the Thetford. In our previous trailer that had a Thetford, that “little ridge “ did indeed wear away after two seasons of camping and the pedal did fly off! Very poor design. Replaced it with a 310 and loved it so that was the first thing I replaced in our GD 3100RD. By the way all you who still have the Thetford, you can try to reinsert the pedal and wrap a strap or belt around it and the base of the Thetford and the pedal to hold it in place until you can replace the whole sorry thing.
                        2022 3100RD
                        2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
                        Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Working...
                        X