Toilet drains into black tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet drains into black tank

Occasionally, maybe ten percent of the time, our toilet bowl drains after flushing and filling part way up. We try to leave 3-4 inches of water on the ball valve, but sometimes it is dry when we go in there the next time. Camper is five months old, living full time in it. My initial thought was that the ball valve gasket was getting "solids" stuck on, have successfully cleaned it with a toilet brush, and that helps for a few days.
    My thinking is to try a silicon based o-ring safe grease on the ball valve gasket next. I really don't want to disassemble and replace the gasket. Thoughts?
    2024 Reflection 312BHTS

Apply plumber's grease to the ball valve seal.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.
      2024 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-KimP View Post
        Occasionally, maybe ten percent of the time, our toilet bowl drains after flushing and filling part way up. We try to leave 3-4 inches of water on the ball valve, but sometimes it is dry when we go in there the next time. Camper is five months old, living full time in it. My initial thought was that the ball valve gasket was getting "solids" stuck on, have successfully cleaned it with a toilet brush, and that helps for a few days.
        My thinking is to try a silicon based o-ring safe grease on the ball valve gasket next. I really don't want to disassemble and replace the gasket. Thoughts?
        On my Thetford I find a few times a year I need to pull my seal and clean it with vinegar to remove calcium build up to solve the issue you're describing. Unfortunately the area of the seal that builds up is only accessible by removing the seal,which requires separating the top half and bottom half. I've tried grease and cleaning it without removing it completely but I don't find it effective. I'd say that's your problem.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro Have you considered a https://www.portablewatersoftener.co...ater-softeners I have a flow-pur one (https://flowpur.com/products/rv-pro-...table-softener been sold out for a while CW may have them but they are on my "no business list") and love not having to deal with the ultra hard water (we are spoiled with a softener on the house).
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have,it's not as bad as at home, shower head does not clog. Depends where we are obviously. Issue is one more thing to store. Would definitely solve the issue though. Also I think the seal on the Dometic is much more accessible.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

A caution on "plumber's grease" . . . some says very clearly not to use on seals. There is a silicon lube for faucet cartridges that I use . . . but, it only seems to come in small (expensive) quantities in the plumbing departments.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yeah it's expensive, but if you can find a place to install it, it could be as simple as hooking up the water line. I keep ours in the front bay, thus have to drag it out and set it on the ground to hook up the primary water feed. I could easily secure it in the basement near the city inlet and then just quick connect to it with shore water.

For the next regeneration cycle, I'm going to preload the hose with salt vs opening the top and pouring it in then using the Wye (again this could be quick connected to a hose for water to be diverted away from the unit) let it run its course.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yeah my basement is jammed packed, pretty much at the something has to come out for something to go in phase, so I live with cleaning the seal.

Note to the OP here if you need to pull the toilet take the opportunity to put a shut off valve on the water line to make it easier for next time. You can pull the top half without pulling the whole thing, but the bolts are a real pain to get to and I end up just pulling the whole thing.

Neil Citro

Comment

I replaced my toilet with a Dometic 320 and the ball seal replacement takes 10 seconds, using a disposable glove grip and pull the old seal out and gently press the new seal into place.
                    2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-KimP View Post
                      This is going to sound crazy but a squirt of Dawn liquid dish soap in the standing bowl water every so often works for me. It also helps with breaking down the solids in the tank. Might be worth a try. PS I have found only Dawn works - something to do with the grease formula. To totally treat the tank add a Tied pod too to really help with tank clogs, but the Dawn should help withe seal.
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Reacher View Post
                        I replaced my toilet with a Dometic 320 and the ball seal replacement takes 10 seconds, using a disposable glove grip and pull the old seal out and gently press the new seal into place.
                        I have long thought about doing this but have never gotten it done. On my list for sure.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                          PS I have found only Dawn works - something to do with the grease formula.
                          Maybe it's your diet?...lol.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          2021 303RLS
                          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
                          X