Sanitizing and Water Volume Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
    The instructions are correct and 3 gallons of "solution" will sanitize a filled tank volume of 45 gallons with a 3 hour contact time period. Essentially, 1/4 bleach for every 15 gallons of water (capacity) will yield a 50ppm concentration of chlorine solution. So, take your (assumed) total volume in gallons to be sanitized (fill hose, storage tank, plumbing lines, HW tank, etc.) and divide by 15. Take this result and multiply by 1/4 cup of 5% household bleach. This how many 1/4 cups of bleach you will need.

Mike
    The instructions say pour in the solution then pump it through the lines without filling the tank though. Which makes you wonder why you need to care about tank volume. I believe you are right, but the instructions do not say that.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      The instructions say pour in the solution then pump it through the lines without filling the tank though. Which makes you wonder why you need to care about tank volume. I believe you are right, but the instructions do not say that.
      I agree, the instructions are written with the same attention to detail most units are constructed with. If one were not intending to sanitize the entire fw tank, then it would make sense to just pump the 3 gallons of solution through the plumbing. (The higher cl concentration in the 3 gallon pre-mix would definitely reduce the required contact time.)

Mike
      Last edited by NoPeeking; 03-25-2024, 11:06 AM.
      Mike & Sonya
      2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
      Blue Ox SwayPro
      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
        This was my point in the original post.
        Mike
        2022 Imagine 2970RL
        2023 Chevrolet 2500HD Custom

Comment

Does anybody know somebody whose close to anybody at GD to offer responses to improve service instructions such as this?
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            Does anybody know somebody whose close to anybody at GD to offer responses to improve service instructions such as this?
            Well various GDRV reps used to post here every now and then..but not any more...maybe they lurk?

2021 303RLS

Comment

Yes, the Moderator Team has very good connections with GD. We will have them look this over and clarify.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So before I send this off to GD I went back and read the original post with the picture of the process from the manual. In re-reading it is said to "prepare the solution, 1 gallon water to 1/4 cup of bleach" then it says to "prepare 1 gallon for every 15 gallons of holding tank capacity", then step 1 says " pour solution into gravity fill inlet". I would take that to mean mix as many 1 gallon solutions as you would need to fill your fresh tank capacity and then that would fill the tank via the gravity port. Then on to the other steps. I do not think this is worded wrong but maybe interpreted differently by each owner, could maybe be worded better.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The Momentum owner’s manual is a little better than the op’s manual, tells you to fill the fresh water tank
                  Jim and Cindy
                  2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                  2021 320G

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                    I do not think this is worded wrong but maybe interpreted differently by each owner, could maybe be worded better.

Brian
                    My thinking exactly, Brian. In an owner's manual I expect to be told step-by-step what to do for a "critical task", not given "implied" steps. Given the discussion, I think the added wording in the Momentum manual complete filling the tank with fresh water is helpful and something GD should be consistent with across all product line manuals.

Mike
                    Mike & Sonya
                    2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                    Blue Ox SwayPro
                    2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      So before I send this off to GD I went back and read the original post with the picture of the process from the manual. In re-reading it is said to "prepare the solution, 1 gallon water to 1/4 cup of bleach" then it says to "prepare 1 gallon for every 15 gallons of holding tank capacity", then step 1 says " pour solution into gravity fill inlet". I would take that to mean mix as many 1 gallon solutions as you would need to fill your fresh tank capacity and then that would fill the tank via the gravity port. Then on to the other steps. I do not think this is worded wrong but maybe interpreted differently by each owner, could maybe be worded better.

Brian
                      Following that logic would put 60 1/4 cups of bleach in a 60 gal tank instead of 4 1/4 cups per 15 gal tank capacity in a 60 gal tank. Probably clearer to put required amount of bleach for holding tank capacity in one gallon of water. Put that one gallon of solution in the tank, then fill the tank with water to fully dilute the solution to the required disinfecting concentration.

Putting all the bleach in the one gallon of water makes a convenient means to transport the bleach to the holding tank.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

When this gets all sorted out...I 'might' sanitize the tank for the first time..........
                        2021 303RLS

Comment

I just find it so easy to pour all the bleach I need into the empty water hose, connect the hose to the input port, set the Nautilus valves to fill the water tank or fill the tank through the gravity feed port, turn on the water and proceed to fill the water tank. Turn the water off, set the Nautilus valves to dry camp and pump the bleach solution to all the fixtures in turn. Top off the water tank. Done. No fiddling with a pail or suction hose.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

or fill the tank through the gravity feed port,
                            You have a gravity fill? That's what I miss most with the Reflection303..no gravity fill. Several places I've been to don't have a fitting on the end of the fill hose and then you have to use goofy things like the 'water bandit'...and it can be messy.

2021 303RLS

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy no gravity fill. Sometime wish I did for filling and venting the tank.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I work out the mix I need for my tank, pour that bleach into a five gallon bucket, and then fill the bucket with water. Then I use the Nautilus panel to pump the water out of the bucket into the tank, and fill the tank the rest of the way with water. Then run all the fixtures until I smell bleach. This gets all the sides and top of the tank covered in bleach, as well as all the pipes. Diluting it in the bucket before pumping into the rig I figure saves some wear on the seals in the panel as well as the pump from working with concentrated bleach.
                                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                                X