Sanitizing and Water Volume Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanitizing and Water Volume Question

My 2022 Imagine owner's manual has me a little confused. It clearly instructs to make a solution of 1/4 cup bleach to 1 gallon of water for each 15 gallons of holding tank capacity, and to pour that into the fresh water tank though the gravity fill.
    It makes no mention of then filling the fresh water holding tank.
    Common sense tells me that those 3 gallons (for our 45 gallon fresh water holding tank) is not enough to fill all of the lines, but I'm also not sure that 3/4 cup of bleach in 45 gallons is enough to sanitize.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Winterizing Page From Manual.png
Views:	328
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	130831
    Mike
    2022 Imagine 2970RL
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD Custom

I use swimming pool chlorine shock granules (calcium hypochlorite). This contains 50-70% free form chlorine. 1-2 teaspoons in your gravity filler hose will do the job of killing all organic bacteria and contaminants. No household chlorine bleach additives that have lingering foul smelling and tasting odors. Just be sure to flush your tank after a few hours and you are good to go.
    2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE, 2022 Ford F-150 Super Crew Cab STX, Curt TruTrac hitch, Curt TriFlex brake controller, AMTIFO rear view camera, Tymate TPMS.

Comment

The instructions are correct. You are sanitizing the water lines. Three gallons of water will fill all of the lines with bleach concentrate.

Note: Make sure you do not use Clorox Splashless Bleach. It is a different chemical than standard Clorox chlorine bleach. I you read the fine print in Clorox Splashless Bleach, it will state "not for sanitizing".

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I pour the bleach ( 1 1/4 cups in my case) into the empty hose I then use to fill the fresh water tank. I then change over to dry camp and use the pump to draw from the water tank chlorine solution to fill all the water lines. I will top up the water tank with water and be done with sanitizing. Works for me.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          The instructions are correct. You are sanitizing the water lines. Three gallons of water will fill all of the lines with bleach concentrate.

Note: Make sure you do not use Clorox Splashless Bleach. It is a different chemical than standard Clorox chlorine bleach. I you read the fine print in Clorox Splashless Bleach, it will state "not for sanitizing".

Jim
          Thank you, and thanks for the tip on the splashless bleach. I did not know that.
          I wonder why they even refer to the holding tank capacity then.
          Mike
          2022 Imagine 2970RL
          2023 Chevrolet 2500HD Custom

Comment

I am with TedS. Pour the bleach into the empty hose, fill fresh tank, set to dry camping, use all fixtures until bleach is smelled, let stand for 3 hours or so, drain fresh tank, fill with fresh water, and I use city water to pre flush all of the lines. I fill and drain the fresh tank a couple times and run fixtures until no bleach is smelled. It is a little pain in the butt but is needed when you use unknown water supplies at some campgrounds.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              I am with TedS. Pour the bleach into the empty hose, fill fresh tank, set to dry camping, use all fixtures until bleach is smelled, let stand for 3 hours or so, drain fresh tank, fill with fresh water, and I use city water to pre flush all of the lines. I fill and drain the fresh tank a couple times and run fixtures until no bleach is smelled. It is a little pain in the butt but is needed when you use unknown water supplies at some campgrounds.

Brian
              Won't the raw bleach damage something in the Nautilus or pump?
              Last edited by reubenray; 03-24-2024, 09:53 AM.
              Raymond and Dee Dee
              2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
              2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post

Want the raw bleach damage something in the Nautilus or pump?
                I have not had any issues. The bleach goes into the garden hose that I use to fill the RV fresh tank, hook the hose to the RV and turn on until tank is full. This ensures that the bleach and water get well mixed. Then using the pump to get to all fixtures. The raw bleach is never left in any area for more than a few seconds.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The sodium hypochlorite is only 5% of Clorox and it doesn't stay but a short time before it's further diluted.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Miklb58 View Post
                    I wonder why they even refer to the holding tank capacity then.
                    Agreed. Tank size doesn't matter unless there is some correlation of tank size and amount of plumbing line in the trailer.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

You need to know the tank volume in order to get the sanitizing mix ratio bleach to water. Unless you don't plan on sanitizing the fresh water tank. 100 feet of 1/2 inch pes is about one gallon volume. CDC advices 1/3 cup per gallon water. So we have a range 1/4 to 1/3 cup per gallon. I suppose you could undiluted bleach, but that would be a waste.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I just sanitized our rig a week or so ago. Rather than poring bleach into a hose, I used the city water fill to bring the water in. As that was going on I put bleach in a standard size water bottle, the amount I needed for the holding tank size, filled it full the rest of the way with water and as water was going into the tank I pored the solution in the gravity fill and filled the tank to the top. After that, I used the pump to get the lines filled and smelling like bleach. Let it sit overnight, drained the tank and used the city connection to purge the lines. Filled the holding tank about 1/3 full and drained again. Go on as normal from there.
                        Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                        TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

The instructions are correct and 3 gallons of "solution" will sanitize a filled tank volume of 45 gallons with a 3 hour contact time period. Essentially, 1/4 bleach for every 15 gallons of water (capacity) will yield a 50ppm concentration of chlorine solution. So, take your (assumed) total volume in gallons to be sanitized (fill hose, storage tank, plumbing lines, HW tank, etc.) and divide by 15. Take this result and multiply by 1/4 cup of 5% household bleach. This is how many 1/4 cups of bleach you will need.

Raw bleach repeatedly contacting plumbing surfaces can cause embrittlement and failure.

Mike
                          Last edited by NoPeeking; 03-25-2024, 08:28 AM.
                          Mike & Sonya
                          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                          Blue Ox SwayPro
                          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
                            The instructions are correct and 3 gallons of "solution" will sanitize a filled tank volume of 45 gallons with a 3 hour contact time period. Essentially, 1/4 bleach for every 15 gallons of water (capacity) will yield a 50ppm concentration of chlorine solution. So, take your (assumed) total volume in gallons to be sanitized (fill hose, storage tank, plumbing lines, HW tank, etc.) and divide by 15. Take this result and multiply by 1/4 cup of 5% household bleach. This how many 1/4 cups of bleach you will need.

Raw bleach repeatedly contacting plumbing surfaces can cause embrittlement and failure.

Mike
                            Yes, this is the right answer here. I usually figure 1.5 oz bleach per 10 gal of tank capacity when I'm doing our trailer and boat. I dilute the bleach with about a gal of water, dump it in, then fill the tank with water. Pressurize the lines and run all the faucets until you smell bleach. Then let things sit for 3 or 4 hours and drain and flush fresh water through everything a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
                              embrittlement
                              I learned a new word. So..I learned something new today...I can go back to bed.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                              X