Black Tank odor eliminators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Tank odor eliminators

Newbies here, looking for RV-veteran suggestions. Recently picked up new 2250RK and would like suggestions for best black-tank odor killers. We bought the Camco orange pods, is that enough?

Originally posted by slk8385 View Post
    Newbies here, looking for RV-veteran suggestions. Recently picked up new 2250RK and would like suggestions for best black-tank odor killers. We bought the Camco orange pods, is that enough?
    Save your money. Put 5 gallons of water in the black tank with 1 cup Dawn dish soap to start. Rock the trailer to slosh it around and camp. Some folks add a Tied laundry pod too. No odors and helps keeps pile from forming.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

We generally do not put any additives in our tanks. Use plenty of water when you can and I generally always have about 5 gallons of water in the tank to keep things loose. We have used the Dawn dish soap but only about 1 or 2 times a year.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We like Aqua-Kem where if there are odors, 2x will get the job done. I've also in four years had no issues with my level sensors malfunctioning. Not stating they are high accuracy but they work as they did when new.

Jim

Comment

slk8385

Water is your friend. Use the black tank flush to put 10 gallons of water into a drained and empty tank, for flushed material to land into . . . and you do not need additive concoctions. Trying to make up enough water with extended flush cycles is tedious and will not add enough water to get everything dissolved. Many additives work against you by killing the organic activity that will naturally break down waste.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

If odor reducing chemicals are not used, the camping experience will be similar to camping next to an outhouse each time the potty is flushed. This is due to waste displacing air in the tank which exhausts at the roof vent. And the experience at the dumping station? Memorable.

With Aqua-Kem, you only need to add about 3 gallons of water to the tank. This is important when boondocking.

Jim

Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Well isn't this interesting that there's such a wide variance in the responses!

I've followed Cate&Rob's advice to pre-fill my black tank with water (~3 gallons) after dumping and flushing the tank. In addition, my wife adds a "Geo Method" concoction (google that term) while we're traveling. This, of course, sloshes around in the tank when we're on the road. (We do the same for the two gray tanks, too, but manually add a couple gallons of water into each tank after dumping.)

Finally, if dumping while staying at a campground, we will add one of those "pods" to the black tank.

Those steps we take can't be defended with scientific-method testing and results...all I can say is that's what we've done for >2 years and we've had no issues.

Try for yourself the different recommendations in this thread and then adopt what works for you. If you use your camper enough, you'll have plenty of opportunity to test.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Please read the attached information from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency before putting any chemicals or detergents into your waste holding tank. One misstep, and you can destroy an RV park's waste water treatment system or leach field. Read and understand the labels and make sure the products you are using are septic safe and biodegradable.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...wastewater.pdf

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Jim,

Aqua-Kem has eliminated formaldehyde from their products where Aqua-Kem green is biodegradable. Those with residential septic systems should avoid dumping an RV black tank into a their septic since the large inflow would push through both sections of the tank and result in solids entering the field. This is due to the lack of time to allow for particulate settling which is critical in septic systems.
                  Some here are using bleach which is harmful to the environment and the natural breakdown of waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdig0Y71dXM
                  Product description

Thetford Aqua Kem Green fluid for the waste holding tank in your portable camping toilet Aqua Kem Green stimulates biological activity in your waste holding tank. Micro-organisms biologically break down the toilet waste in the tank. With average use, Aqua Kem Green acts for a maximum of three to four days. It remains fluid up to a temperature of -20ordm;C and is still effective after thawing. This product is particularly suitable when emptying the waste holding tank into septic tanks on camp sites. Prevention of gas build-up Odour control Awarded with several ecological quality hallmarks Discharge allowed in campground septic tanks Effective for 4 days

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I have found that when we start to get that sewer smell while flushing it's time to remove the snow from the roof, it has the vent blocked....
                    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

We're full time and don't use anything in our black tank and have no odors. I am going to put some Dawn dish soap and water softener in the black and gray tanks (along with a few gallons of water) when we hit the road this spring. But, that's just because it's the easiest way to really clean the tanks.
                      Brian & Kellie
                      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

We are in the additive camp. Mainly because it was recommended in the OM when we started out 2 1/2 years ago. and seems like it hasn't done in any harm. We tend to use the liquid additives as I feel that gives as more uniform mixture as compared to having to wait for the tablets to dissolve. We also tend to overdose as the gallons treated by each bottle never matches with our tank size (Guess its the number of hot dogs in a package versus the number of hot dog buns in a package thing). Which additive has become more and more dependent on what is on the shelf at the store. Just be sure not to mix brands/chemicals.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I use the Orange TST drop in type for the Black tank and I use the cheapest dish washer drop ins I can find for the gray tanks. There is probably hundreds of options which all have advantages and disadvantages.

Dave and Sue
                          2020 GD 2250RK
                          2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                          GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                          SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Y’all (Texas-speak) are awesome...thank you for your thoughts and experiences. Looking forward to hitting the road in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                            X