Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reached out to Furrion after speaking with Daniel at Grand Design and here is the response I received from Furrion about the tankless water heater issues.

​​​​​​
    Support
    8:22 AM (5 hours ago)
    to me
    As far as elevation, it will still work, but not as well as if it was at lower elevation. You will have to adjust the flow rate to find the best setting, but it will not be as efficient as it would be at lower elevation. Also, we do not have any freeze protection on our water heater. So if you are going to be in temps below freezing the water heater will not work. It is just not designed for that environment.

Jason Smith
    Customer Support Representative
    Furrion by Lippert
    www.furrion.com
    www.lippert.com

Whenever, wherever, we make your experience better.

--------------- Original Message ---------------
    Sent: 12/6/2021 4:15 PM
    To: support@furrion.com
    Subject: On demand water heater

I just recently purchased a Grand Design Reflection 337RLS with your on
    demand water heater. In the instructions you say it cannot be used below 39
    degrees or above 4500 ft in elevation. I plan on taking this unit to
    Colorado. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated on how to alleviate
    these problems.

Comment

iswatman appreciate the info. Happy you got an answer. Did Daniel from GD state anything about this issue?
      Elke and Heinz
      2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
      2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Daniel basically echoed everything that has been already mentioned about this issue. My take away from all of this is that they are lawyering their statements to avoid any litigation.

Comment

Grand Design needs to stop installing these heaters and go back to the tank models. I like the tankless water heater but if I have to drain it every time the temp drops while we are camping and then have no hot water, well that's just ridiculous.
          Tony
          2022 GD Reflection 337RLS
          2022 Ford F350 6.7 SRW LB

Comment

Moderator Note: This thread has frequently wandered into discussing the Truma Tankless Water Heater as an option. All applicable posts are now in their own thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-heater-option

Please limit discussion in this thread to the Furrion issue.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by tdeperte View Post
              Grand Design needs to stop installing these heaters and go back to the tank models. I like the tankless water heater but if I have to drain it every time the temp drops while we are camping and then have no hot water, well that's just ridiculous.
              I agree with you - we were happy with a tank unit in our previous TT. We saw an ingenuous jerry-rigging where someone attached a metal plate on the inside of the Furrion tank compartment and then attached a removable electric powered light (using a 60w light bulb) to the metal plate and made a passage through the removable door for the power plug. The door passage was sealed with a cover, and the power plug ran to a power plug in the Nautilus area. This is something even mechanically challenged folks like me could do. There was also fridge thermometer tucked in the TWH compartment. We’d rather wait and see what Furrion will supply to fix this issue, but we’re not confident Furrion will fix this anytime soon. We’ve winterized our unit for now but may look into the jerry-rigging at the start of next year’s camping season.
              Attached Files
              Elke and Heinz
              2018 Chevy 3500 SRW Duramax SB
              2021 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

After several drains of the HWH since the unit is currently parked for hunting and not left plugged in, I think Furrion could have done a better job with location of the drain and filter setup. The drain is tucked up under the filter with limited access. I have found that using my left hand makes it easier to get started. I am concerned about the small o-ring on the drain as it appears to be showing signs of wear from the multiple removals over the past couple of months.

If the temps at the hunting grounds would not be dropping into the 30's I would leave it alone.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Is there any reason the wh couldn't be moved to the center of the rv where it would be exposed to the heat that the rest of the pluming has? With accommodations for venting and draining of course. Our new 303 is our first experience with tankless. Just thinking out loud here.
                  Dennis
                  Dennis & Sharon
                  2019 GMC 2500HD Denali
                  2022 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Just spit balling here, Jlawles2 . Would it be possible to put an extension between the WH and the drain valve so that the valve is in a mare accessible location? Maybe instead moving the valve just leave it in place and open and install another valve at the end of the drain line?
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

JBill9694 John, the drain is behind the exterior cover and a removable shield. The issue is more with how far back from the opening it is and of course compactness. If you look at post 17 you will see a diagram of how the filter (top of the 2 items) and the drain are positioned. Reality of it is that the area around the filter is about 1/2" on the sides only with the drain installed. The drain and filter caps end at the same place, so you have to remove 1 before you get more room on the other. Now both of these are tucked back 1-1/2" or more to the end of the fittings from he face, lets add to that the width starting about 1" back from the face there are parts to the left of both. So to remove both the filter and the drain you are reaching down into the dark hole with just 2 finger tips and need to apply enough torque to break the fittings loose (they are straight thread) and unseat the now stuck o-rings sealing the 2 surfaces together like glue.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Following this thread. Hope there is a fix.

Dave
                        2022 315RLTS Reflection

Comment

Jlawles2 On my Suburban tankless WH there are two drain lines, one for the pressure release and one for the drain, to carry water out through the belly and I assumed yours has the same or similar set up. My thought would be to add a valve to the end of the drain line bellow the belly where it would be more easily accessible.

My drain lines are clear plastic so probably not rated for continued exposure to hot water or pressure. If yours are the same then I imagine you would want to change them out to PEX, which reads like a real PIA with your installation. Again, just spit balling, us engineers just can't leave anything alone.
                          John
                          2018 Momentum 395M
                          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Jlawles2 JBill9694
                            Hi Joseph & John,

From the descriptions here, it would seem that coming up with a few standard brass parts to extend the drain to where it is more accessible could be the plan. This is what I did (several years ago) on my Atwood water heater. I inserted a PVC piece to isolate the brass valve from the aluminum tank to avoid potential galvanic corrosion. This should not be an issue on the Furion since it looks like the drain is already brass/copper.

Rob

​​​​​​​
                            Attached Files
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The drains are not a real issue, use a 6pt socket that fits over the black filter cap. With an extension, it's easy to see. As for the brass plug for the drain, cut a notch in it for a screwdriver. No issues. I happen to find replacement 'o' rings at a local hardware store for less than a dollar.
                              Attached Files

Comment

The notch is on my list of things when I get the unit home along with a trip to the hardware store for a stock pile of o-rings. Might cut a X in the drain to see if a Phillips will fit to make it easier to stab back into the black hole.
                                Joseph
                                Tow
                                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X