Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would pipe insulation around the low point drain lines help? With the insulation below the coroplast and heat above it seems this may help.

If space heaters alone are being used, freezing will continue to be an issue most likely. I have nothing to add on the tankless unit since I do not have one and am happy with not having one.

Jim

Comment

• glowblue I had an issue with mine when I was in Bryce canyon last spring and it got down below freezing. I opened up my coroplast and cut out the tee that feeds them and replaced it with a coupler. I am lucky enough to store my rig inside at home so I have never winterized it and not needed them. If I do the lines are easy enough to get to through the hole in the coroplast I taped up.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

The Forum Moderators fully understand that this is not a viable solution for owners using their trailers in temperatures that range above and below freezing. We are continuing to work with Grand Design on possible remedies. The most likely of these is an electrical source of heat to keep the most vulnerable parts of the water heater above freezing.

I've been lurking this thread for almost a year now, curious about how this tankless hot water heater issue would be resolved. Has Lippert / Furrion and/or Grand Design communicated anything on this topic yet? I was in the Elkhart area this summer and was able to go on the factory tour. I asked about it while there and the company rep said he'd been hearing some noise about that (also noticed that ever Reflection on the line was rolling out with this water heater). They were in the process of relocating their call center but encouraged us to call in because they were working on a resolution. I haven't had a chance to do that, but curious if anyone else has?
        Jon & Sara - Charlotte, NC
        2022 Reflection 312BHTS
        2022 Ford F350 SRW Platinum

Comment

• Originally posted by PilotTwist View Post

I've been lurking this thread for almost a year now, curious about how this tankless hot water heater issue would be resolved. Has Lippert / Furrion and/or Grand Design communicated anything on this topic yet? I was in the Elkhart area this summer and was able to go on the factory tour. I asked about it while there and the company rep said he'd been hearing some noise about that (also noticed that ever Reflection on the line was rolling out with this water heater). They were in the process of relocating their call center but encouraged us to call in because they were working on a resolution. I haven't had a chance to do that, but curious if anyone else has?
          Your timing is good. We're right in the middle of following up with GDRV on the status of this? They have run trials on some proposed solutions, so we're anxiously awaiting their conclusions. Hopefully, we'll have some final answers next week. The ball is in their court right now.

JIm
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

• Hope this question is a good fit in this post. Live in Colorado and camp at elevations well beyond the Furrion TWH limit. It’s a freeze hazard, its a water hog, and flat doesn’t work at high altitudes, greater than 8K feet.
            2022 303rls
            Does anyone have a known tank version that I can buy and replace it with? I just want to go back to the tried and true that’s done well on all my previous units.
            thanks
            Rod

Comment

• Originally posted by old brown View Post
              Hope this question is a good fit in this post. Live in Colorado and camp at elevations well beyond the Furrion TWH limit. It’s a freeze hazard, its a water hog, and flat doesn’t work at high altitudes, greater than 8K feet.
              2022 303rls
              Does anyone have a known tank version that I can buy and replace it with? I just want to go back to the tried and true that’s done well on all my previous units.
              thanks
              Rod
              I don't have a reference for this, buy had heard Dometic (Atwood) stopped making their tank water heater that most rigs used for years. Suburban makes one but the opening is a different size, so would require a pretty major modification to accomplish.

I've got the Truma tankless and it's been flawless. Has a freeze protection mode, as well as a 12v freeze protection option to run while driving. Uses a small tank, so for short uses of water it's like a tank water heater, and longer hot water needs are tankless.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

• Neil,
                Thank you!
                BTW: your previous inverter set up comments made the install a breeze and all works great!!
                Rod

Comment

• Originally posted by old brown View Post
                  Neil,
                  Thank you!
                  BTW: your previous inverter set up comments made the install a breeze and all works great!!
                  Rod
                  Glad I could help!

Neil Citro

Comment

• Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Your timing is good. We're right in the middle of following up with GDRV on the status of this? They have run trials on some proposed solutions, so we're anxiously awaiting their conclusions. Hopefully, we'll have some final answers next week. The ball is in their court right now.

JIm
                    Hi, I just recently purchased a 2022 28bh with the tankless water heater and have been wandering the same thing after reading the manual. I have a Nathaniel from GD emailing me back and forth about this freezing issue. I hope a fix is in the works like you guys have said.

Comment

• We've asked, and we're patiently waiting.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

• Hey TucsonJim, ncitro, and howson, just heard from the Dealer that all new units are coming with an updated Furrion Instant Hot Water Tank. They now turn the burner on once the unit reaches a certain temperature. So I think they have it fixed. Have you heard anything about this and if so, what is Grand Design's plans to address their customers that already have purchased a unit with this flaw? Are we going to be able to get this fixed so we can use it this fall? Thanks in advance....
                        We live to serve our two Golder Retrievers
                        2022 Reflection 303RLS
                        2016 GMC Denali 3500

Comment

• Originally posted by gtippett View Post
                          Hey TucsonJim, ncitro, and howson, just heard from the Dealer that all new units are coming with an updated Furrion Instant Hot Water Tank. They now turn the burner on once the unit reaches a certain temperature. So I think they have it fixed. Have you heard anything about this and if so, what is Grand Design's plans to address their customers that already have purchased a unit with this flaw? Are we going to be able to get this fixed so we can use it this fall? Thanks in advance....
                          We've also heard that new units going forward will have this feature. We are still waiting word on how to deal with existing units. If you have a concern about freeze ups, let me suggest you call GDRV customer service at 574-825-9679 and see what their plan is. It might give us some insight on what GDRV is telling their current customers since we haven't heard much on it.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

• Has anyone heard from Furrion or Grand Design about a fix everyone has alluded to? I spoke to GD and was told as long as the heat is on in our 2022 337RLS the Furrion tankless should be ok. I do not like to hear should be... I thought while using the 5th wheel if I turned off the unit and took the out side cover off and placed fiberglass insulation covering the complete opening and inserting some on the exhaust would help the unit from freezing. Be sure to take the insulation out before using the unit . ANY THOUGHTS

Comment

• Grand Design and Furrion (now Lippert) understand the concerns about using your Furrion tankless water heater in freezing temperatures. They have tried several aftermarket solutions but the proposed solutions are complicated and may be very difficult and time consuming for owners and/or dealerships to implement. At this time, your moderators have not received a plan to modify existing units. Therefore, if you have specific questions regarding your Furrion tankless water heater in low temperatures, please contact GDRV Customer Service for further guidance.

This thread has run its course and is being closed. But please feel free to start a new thread if you would like to discuss user operation or proposed owner modifications to these units.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                              X