Gravity water fill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravity water fill

Recently we went to a Provincial park and the fill station is obviously only meant for gravity filling a tank. If you have a nautilus panel, is there a way to gravity fill the tank?

If the answer is what I think it is....has anybody adapted a nautilus equipped trailer to be able to gravity fill?
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 08-27-2021, 09:04 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

If worse comes to worse I suppose the tanks could be filled by sucking water out of a bucket, similar to disinfecting the tanks. Yep, that's a lot of buckets and a lot of sucking, but if water can be gravity fed into the bucket at the same time that the pump is sucking from it then it is just a matter of time and wear on the pump.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

In general it is a puzzle as to why a gravity fill can not be added to any system during building. GD must have an explanation as to why it is not done. A gravity fill with the tank vent included in it would solve many problems (slosh draining, syphoning, bees in the end of the vent, it all happened to me) in one fell swoop. Tradition I suppose.

Dave
      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
        Recently we went to a Provincial park and the fill station is obviously only meant for gravity filling a tank. If you have a nautilus panel, is there a way to gravity fill the tank?

If the answer is what I think it is....has anybody adapted a nautilus equipped trailer to be able to gravity fill?
        Folks have shared here on this forum as I recall and certainly else where in forum land over the years, that they have used something like this and it works well. Is this a possible solution ?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect...99461338&psc=1

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Folks have shared here on this forum as I recall and certainly else where in forum land over the years, that they have used something like this and it works well. Is this a possible solution ?

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect...99461338&psc=1

Dan
          That would definitely do the trick Dan!
          I probably wouldn't have found that in a month of searching. I wouldn't have even known what to call it to search for it.
          Thanks much!!
          You da best!

Edit...I checked amazon.ca and it's more than double the price..
          I'll still buy it, but sheeesh.

2021 303RLS

Comment

The water bandit certainly is functional and has a purpose. But this past week, I had two opportunities to use the bandit at Glacier national Park and it failed both times. It might have been operator error, and in that case I could use some further instructions. The first was to use it to fill our rig from one of several spigots located on each camping loop. The spigot (I wish I took a picture) had a highly polished 90 degree nozzle that was smaller than the bandit. The second problem is on me in that we have a Zero-G fresh water hose. This hose requires a significant amount of pressure to get the kinks out. I could not get and adequate fit on the small spigot to create adequate pressure. Second failure came at the dump station. I am finding that dump stations at the National parks do not have a threaded fitting for the black tank flush. The had a brass nozzle with a 90 degree as well. But the flush spray head requires significant pressure. Once again I was unable to create an adequate seal with the bandit even using a short standard hose.

My search for an adapter continues. Please let me know if anyone has struggled with this and has found a better solution than the bandit.

Meanwhile, I have committed to purchasing a small DC pump for filling the gravity feed from 5 gallon collapsible buckets.

Thanks for listening....
            Al & Ann
            F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
            Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

Originally posted by humunuku View Post
              The water bandit certainly is functional and has a purpose. But this past week, I had two opportunities to use the bandit at Glacier national Park and it failed both times. It might have been operator error, and in that case I could use some further instructions. The first was to use it to fill our rig from one of several spigots located on each camping loop. The spigot (I wish I took a picture) had a highly polished 90 degree nozzle that was smaller than the bandit. The second problem is on me in that we have a Zero-G fresh water hose. This hose requires a significant amount of pressure to get the kinks out. I could not get and adequate fit on the small spigot to create adequate pressure. Second failure came at the dump station. I am finding that dump stations at the National parks do not have a threaded fitting for the black tank flush. The had a brass nozzle with a 90 degree as well. But the flush spray head requires significant pressure. Once again I was unable to create an adequate seal with the bandit even using a short standard hose.

My search for an adapter continues. Please let me know if anyone has struggled with this and has found a better solution than the bandit.

Meanwhile, I have committed to purchasing a small DC pump for filling the gravity feed from 5 gallon collapsible buckets.

Thanks for listening....
              Here's a thread on a pump for use with the 5 gallon collapsible containers. Might be helpful to you.

https://gdrvowners.com/tools-parts-o...f-grid-camping
              Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
              2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
              2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post

Here's a thread on a pump for use with the 5 gallon collapsible containers. Might be helpful to you.

https://gdrvowners.com/tools-parts-o...f-grid-camping
                Little Giant makes a variety of pumps. Here is the AC and DC versions. Also a collapsible hand truck works exceptionally well for hauling water or firewood.
                https://www.supplyhouse.com/Little-G...SABEgL0XfD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Little-555602...61590039&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/FCH-Folding-C...87376716&psc=1

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2021, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  That would definitely do the trick Dan!
                  I probably wouldn't have found that in a month of searching. I wouldn't have even known what to call it to search for it.
                  Thanks much!!
                  You da best!

Edit...I checked amazon.ca and it's more than double the price..
                  I'll still buy it, but sheeesh.
                  Just be sure that before you use it you sanitize the spigot. I carry one and on the rare occasions I have needed it I sanitized it and the spigot using Clorox wipes.
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by humunuku View Post

Thanks for listening....
                    Have you tried a spiral hose clamp? there are a few out there with a wing nut to tighten. It also helps to have a second person hold it on when filling. Kids are great for this - they drip dry
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                      I sanitized it and the spigot using Clorox wipes.
                      But....I don't like the taste of Clorox.....

2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                      X