Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypassing a water pump

Hello GD help center

This afternoon I noticed a leak coming from the water pump. I am on city water so thought it odd my pump is leaking. It is coming from the top middle screw in the upper assembly.I tried to tighten the screw but no luck. My next solution which was not a good solution, was to disconnect pump from system thinking it would not be activated if on city water. Well, a bucket of water sprays out of the pump inlet hose. How can I bypass this pump so I can use my city water? A new pump would arrive next week sometime no expedited shipping any sooner. Camping as If in a tent at the moment.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Pump fittings are 1/2" pipe thread. Go to your local hardware store and pick up a nipple that's 1/2 on each side. Unscrew both hoses from the pump and bypass the pump using the nipple. No guarantees, but that's what I would try. Altermatively, I'd guess that only the pump output side is pressurized, so you could put a 1/2 plug on the hose connected to the pump output. Again, just a guess.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Brass Nipple.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	75443
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Vivian

There is a check valve on one side of the pump that does not allow city water pressure to get thru the pump. The only thing I can think of is if you remove the line opposite the feed line and plug that end you should be able to use city water. The line you are looking for on the pump is the one opposite the filter screen. The line on the filter screen side comes from the fresh tank. Not sure what you would have to plug the line, you could use a short piece of pex with a plug on one end and a male fitting on the other to fit into the line that you removed from the pump.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Jimmer

That is a good idea but, connecting the 2 hoses together will also bypass the check valve and the city water will fill the fresh tank. The nipple that you have pictured will work if they get a plug for one end and leave the other hose connected to the pump. There is no water in the fresh tank ( I think) so there should be no problem leaving that hose attached.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Disconnect the hose from the pump outlet and plug it. The swivel fitting is 1/2 inch pipe. At the most expedient but may damage the hose, disconnect it form the pump and bend it to kink it., or squeeze it with locking pliers without disconnecting the hose.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Another thought is disconnect the line from the back of the Nautilus panel that goes to the pump and plug it there.

Sorry for so much information Vivian, trying to give you some ideas to go with the parts that you may have.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

OK Guys this is what I originally did and it did stop the flow but I am afraid it will affect the nautilus by adding too much pressure. Using these items I had on hand (thanks Rob). One thing I wish I would of had on hand is an EXTRA WATER PUMP. I hope someone is learning from my mistake, carry one onboard.

So is this an acceptable bandaid while I await shipping? This is plugging the output line not the line where the strainer is.
              Last edited by Beachcamper; 01-28-2022, 10:51 PM.
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

So is this an acceptable bandaid while I await shipping? This is plugging the line feeding the pump not the line where the strainer is.
                Perfect! Nothing wrong with that. Don't see why plugging a line in a plumbing system would add too much pressure,
                Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

I think that is a good fix. It should not cause any pressure difference at the Nautilus panel. You could turn off city water when not needed to be on the safe side if you want, but I think you should be fine.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you all for helping me out, you have no idea how much I appreciate the quick responses. Tomorrow morning will complete the fix as shown the new pump arrives earliest on Wednesday and I am in a remote place where getting an mobile tech is a mission and lots of money,

I am just terrified of that nautilus panel and disturbing anything not leaking…
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Perfect solution. There will no change in system pressure.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Hi Vivian,

Glad I could help LOL!
                        The line you have plugged is the output of the pump and is the line pressurized by city water. The line with the strainer is the suction side of the pump coming from the tank (no need to plug this line). The line you plugged is normally sealed by a check valve within the pump . . . which is obviously leaking. You can safely operate on city water with no worries.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                          Hi Vivian,

Glad I could help LOL!
                          The line you have plugged is the output of the pump and is the line pressurized by city water. The line with the strainer is the suction side of the pump coming from the tank (no need to plug this line). The line you plugged is normally sealed by a check valve within the pump . . . which is obviously leaking. You can safely operate on city water with no worries.

Rob
                          Thanks for correcting the reference to which line I plugged, I edited my comment above. Rob, your post on must have plumbing parts and pre made parts has been put to use, glad I listened to you. Just wish I would have listened to Shurflo back in 2018 about the benefits of bringing along an extra water pump. With my order today, I also bought some water alarms. Worried about my toilet shutoff Pex project coming up soon and the alarms will come in handy for this and that repair.

Should I make that output line Pex as well or leave as soft hose?
                          Last edited by Beachcamper; 01-28-2022, 10:57 PM.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Just so you know HD has a cap/plug to fit the pipe fitting going into the pump. I believe it is the same as on the low point drains, only 1/2" NTP instead of 3/4". But what you did should work fine.

Experts If I am wrong on this please correct me.

On edit this is another item to add to my parts bin in the trailer.
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

So would installing a manual valve there in the pump output line make sense?
                              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                              2021 303RLS
                              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
                              X