No announcement yet.

Furrion Tankless Waterfall... I mean Water Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW… I’m shocked right now. I just got a call from Grand Design customer service. They’re sending me a new water heater!

With my permission, Jim sent a message to GD on my behalf, explaining the situation. I received a call from Daniel of Grand Design this morning. I explained the WHOLE situation with this dealer… the hitch, the damage to my truck, and then finally prepping the trailer for a trip just to find the water heater split open. He said that he’d already discussed it with management and they okayed a one-time deal to send me a new water heater… this isn’t even Grand Design’s problem!

I’m really blown away! One of the main reasons that the wife and I purchased Grand Design was their open commitment to post-sales support. I hold myself to a high standard in the integrity department. Sometimes I get myself in trouble expecting the same from others. GD could’ve said “tough luck” and I wouldn’t have blinked. I didn’t even ask for their help! That kind of commitment to their customer and their product is unheard of. Kudos Grand Design! You’ve got one more lifetime customer here.

On a side note, I’ll be able to throw this broken water heater on the work bench after all. When the new heater arrives, I’ll document as much as I can with video and photos in a new post.
    Phil & Jenn | North Central WA
    2022 Reflection, 31MB (Pkg's: Power, Arctic, 2nd AC, Solar)
    2021 F350 Tremor, 6.7L Diesel, SRW

Comment

NCW_Wander Glad to hear they stepped up for you! Can't wait to see what the guts look like. Hopefully you'll be back to hot showers before you know it.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

NCW_Wander I'm interested in seeing if there is enough room to place a https://www.amazon.com/MD-Lighting-R...ps%2C87&sr=8-5 or https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ters/016100-01 in there to keep the area warm and prevent rupture of the lines.
        Last edited by Jlawles2; 02-15-2022, 11:09 PM.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Great news Phillip. Enjoy your new rig.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            NCW_Wander I'm interested in seeing if there is enough room to place a https://www.amazon.com/PENTEL-Mechan...s%2C110&sr=8-5 or https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ters/016100-01 in there to keep the area warm and prevent rupture of the lines.
            Hey Joseph, the first link is to a mechanical pencil. While, I'm pretty sure there's room for it in there, I think you meant to send a different link
            I'm on the same page... wondering how I can keep this area warm. I'll get a lot of measurements and wiring shots when I dissect this thing and include those with the updated post.

If there's anything specific that anyone wants to see with this water heater, let me know and I'll be sure to get as much info as I can when I've got it out. Otherwise, I'm going to just pull it apart piece by piece and try to figure out what everything does. I'll get measurements too for folks wanting to modify theirs.

Comment

NCW_Wander Phil and Jenn, Link corrected. Lots of things going on at one time. Must have copied the pencil link while in the process of responding https://www.amazon.com/MD-Lighting-R...ps%2C87&sr=8-5 is a mini ceramic reptile heater rated at 25W on 110VAC.

Much more compact than the 100w ones posted before. By the looks of the HWH, there is not much room inside there. Hoping the 2.5x2.5x3 is compact enough to hide down in there somewhere, or even go to the 12 VDC one used in electrical panels to prevent condensation.

None of these are a good option if the unit is left un attended. Would really like to see easier drain options like ball valves for tanked units (both of my tanked units had brass ball vales installed for drawing),
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Today’s the day that the water heater gets dissected. I haven’t prowled the forum in a few weeks, so if anything’s come up… anything specific with the Furrion Tankless, lemme know.

I’m not gonna document any of the removal/installation process unless something quirky pops up. The instructions seem pretty straight forward. The only kink I’ve run into so far is finding Butyl Tape for a weatherproof seal. There are some alternatives, but if you want the real deal, don’t expect to just go find some at your local hardware store.

It’ll take me a week or so to compile and format everything. Hopefully we learn something useful in the end

Comment

Originally posted by NCW_Wander View Post
                  Today’s the day that the water heater gets dissected. I haven’t prowled the forum in a few weeks, so if anything’s come up… anything specific with the Furrion Tankless, lemme know.

I’m not gonna document any of the removal/installation process unless something quirky pops up. The instructions seem pretty straight forward. The only kink I’ve run into so far is finding Butyl Tape for a weatherproof seal. There are some alternatives, but if you want the real deal, don’t expect to just go find some at your local hardware store.

It’ll take me a week or so to compile and format everything. Hopefully we learn something useful in the end
                  I keep a roll of Butyl tape around from Amazon, but in a pinch I have found it at Menards (a midwest big box home center like Home Depot or Lowes).

https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...3650210&ipos=1
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

NCW_Wander

Window glass repair places will have butyl tape.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

ended up finding it at my local RV dealer. I’d planned on using some foam-weatherstripping, then changed my mind. Turns out GD used foam weatherstripping! LOL

Gonna go back with butyl.

Comment

Attached are two photos of the damage. I'll post two new threads (to make them easier to search), one with tips on removal/installation, the other with info on potential mods.
                        Thanks again everyone for your help! Much appreciated!!!

Comment

NCW_Wander how did you bypass it? I am having the same problem.

Comment

NCW_Wander -- post 27 was directed to you. ( Jrock1992 -- see the Welcome Letter to learn all about this forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members )

Howard & Francine
                            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson thanks for the nudge.

Comment

Jrock1992 , its a very delicate process. I should probably follow up with that for everyone. If you wanna message me, I can give you the gist of it until I have a minute to post it up here more thoroughly for the rest of the group.

Comment

Working...
                                X