Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slideout out stops extending

Hello Everyone,

My name is Miguel and my wife and I just purchased our first trailer a month ago (2021 2970 Rl ) and love it so far but it has already started to give us a problem. My question is about the driver side slide out. The slide out stops when extending and extends only a few inches out( I do notice it extends unevenly in speed). The seller we bought it from said he had the same problem before but that the dealer who he purchased it from said it was just a matter of lubricating the rails because sometimes they can get dirty and get stuck. The lubrication worked a couple of times but the problem keeps happening, The rails look clean after a can and a half of lube used on them so I don't think that's the problem at this point.

The controller with the lights blinking under the sink blinks 6 times which is indicative of a short in the motor according to the guide. Could the motors be going out on this 2021 model already? The previous owner didn't use it much either so I'm skeptical it might be the motors but I have no clue so I'm reaching out to the forum community for any guidance as this is our first trailer and I'm just learning as I go and I'm all ears for any advice.

Thank you for any help, As a new member to the Grand Design family and this forum I love the community that you have here. I will try and attach a video if I can.

-Miguel
    Last edited by Villasventure; 03-22-2022, 06:38 AM. Reason: 2970,slideout,2970rl
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab 4x4

Look in your manual and CAREFULLY use the override function. If the motors run the slide out evenly, you can use the rig temporarily but you most likely will need to use the override function to bring the slide back in. If the slide in this mode is still running unevenly, run the slide in and get it serviced or service the side that is dragging and look for chaffed wires at the slow motor. If both motors run evenly, look for chaffed motor position wires from the built in encoder at the motor. If the encoder wire is chaffed, no information is getting back to the controller and it cannot keep the slide in sync so it will run out a few inches, bind up, then will stop.

Do not allow the slide to become too uneven as this will put undo stress on the slide rollers and mechanism.

The diagnostic codes are not too useful other than letting you know there is an issue. A code that represents a short can also represent a failing motor or a binding mechanical system as an example.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2022, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Well, if the motors move at all, the short (if there is one) would be in the wiring not the motors themselves. If the slide will run back in, run it back in and then continue to hold the in switch for 5 more seconds. Then try to extend. That is supposed to re-syncronize the motors.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Villasventure
        The slideout with the problem is what's commonly called a "Schwintek". Lippert, the slide's OEM, refers to it as an "In-Wall Slideout". There is a lot of information on the slideout on the LCI website here: https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out

Bottom line: there is a problem with the slideout that should be addressed by a knowledgeable technician--unless you're willing (and able) to dive into this topic yourself and do the work. As previously mentioned in this thread, the problem is likely in one of the motors or the wiring.

The My RV Works video embedded below is long (54 minutes) but it is one of the most comprehensive on YouTube.

Howard

P.S. Check out the Welcome Letter to New Members when you get a chance! https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Good morning Miguel. When you are trying to run the room out, is each side traveling a different distance before stopping? For example, is one side going out 4 inches, and the other 6 inches? If so, your Schwintek slide out is out of sync and the fix is very easy. Let us know if each side of the slide is traveling a different distance. If so, we can provide instructions on how to fix it.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

We have a 2022 and within the first six months, one slide out would start to move out, then jam on one side and bind. The module controller was blinking a code and I was able to find that code via the owners manual or online. Warranty work... found out that an electrical cable had been fraying against a tire or something and shorted out the module. GD had to replace the module and run a new wire.

With the blinking code indicating a short, could be in the motor or down the line to the module.

Jason

Jason & Brittany
            2022 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Villasventure Welcome to the Family and the forum! First off, LCI doesn't endorse lubricants on the in-wall slide tracks.
              Also, LCI has online training for owners at https://lippert.thinkific.com/ and has great base line instruction and can help you understand the what and why for your systems.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                Well, if the motors move at all, the short (if there is one) would be in the wiring not the motors themselves. If the slide will run back in, run it back in and then continue to hold the in switch for 5 more seconds. Then try to extend. That is supposed to re-syncronize the motors.
                Scott,

My first issue was with a broken wire on the motor. The dealer re-soldered the wire directly to the board in their repair. The second issue on the same motor was the gearbox. Not sure if the dealer swapped out my motor or not but when I changed it, the motor was noticeably rusty. It would be so nice if Lippert made a waterproof motor and located it at the bottom of the slide. Would be easy to swap out in that location in most cases.

Jim

Comment

I have exactly the same model - 2021 Imagine 2970RL and have had mine in the shop for 2 months now with a similar issue. Motor sprockets we’re stripped and the racks had scratches on them at the ends. When I took delivery of the unit in October of 2020, the back of the driver side (kitchen) slide was extended about 1” when the front of the slide was flush. After an hour face time call with Holiday World tech with Grand Design, they are describing the issue as the slide being “out of camber” - so sounds like it isn’t as square as it should be on the side walls of the slide. This was identified after the tech replaced both motors and tracks and did a quality control check. Definitely have it looked at by a certified rv tech. I’ve had this issue since last July (2021) and just got an appointment in September to get it into the shop in February of 2022. Grand Design has been great doing it as a warranty repair since the issue occurred while still under the manufacturers warranty but I wasn’t able to get an appointment to get it into a shop before I the warranty expired. I hope you have better luck than I’ve had getting a timely resolution - eight months and counting without being able to use it and paying rent on storage at my storage facility.
                  Eddie & Kathy
                  2021 Imagine 2970RL
                  2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
                  Houston, TX

Comment

Thanks to everyone that replied and helped steer us in the right the direction, Unfortunately I tried a few of the troubleshooting techniques that were mentioned here but they didn’t fix the problem. ThePowells howson Thanks for these resources they were very informative and it's great to know that we can look at these for future reference if we need them.

The trailer has an extended warranty through compass but our local Grand Design third party dealer isn't very responsive, haven't been able to schedule an appointment.

I did have a mobile RV tech come out and inspect the trailer and try a few things to get it function properly, He showed me how the slide out is just a bit crooked when its positioned all the way in, You can also see how the outside of the slide out isn't completely flush with the trailer. The bottom right of the slide out closest to the fridge is the corner that gets stuck first, He was able to get it to function with some WD40 but after a few open/close it went back to getting stuck on that corner.

He believes it might be a problem with the rails and that they may have to replaced and that the slide out can be pretty much moved into place with some jacks and physical pushing. Wife is not too sure she wants a mobile tech to do that kind of work on our almost new trailer but I can't think of another option other than to keep trying to book an appt for the trailer. He thinks the rails need replacing because of the shavings coming off the track as you can see in the picture, The notch at the end is on both sides of the rails so I'm assuming they should be there but the shavings don't look right. I'll try and provide more updates as they come but thanks for the help everyone and if you have a reputable place in SoCal that works on trailers would love the info, Thank you.

TucsonJim Would love to try your solution! It does come out unevenly so it's worth a shot if I haven't tried it yet, Thanks.

Ebkent62 Sounds like exactly what I'm dealing with with my trailer, I added some pics to where my slide out also stays open about 1'inch when the other side is flush. Did your racks have any shavings like the ones in the picture I posted? I'm already expecting a long wait when it comes to servicing the trailer at the dealer, Thanks for the info, I will have to mention some of these things if they try and give me the old just spray some lube on it like they did to the last owner.

Thanks again Everyone!

-Miguel
                    Last edited by Villasventure; 04-05-2022, 04:53 AM.
                    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
                    2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

From the pics it looks like the trailer skirt is pushed in where the gasket on each side of the slide looks uniform. Also the shavings look like they are at the end of the rack and may be from the machining process since it looks like the gear does not contact the rack that far out. A re-sync should be done several times to see if the condition improves.

Otherwise, a motor may be failing which results in a small delay by the time the controller attempts to re-align the slide and would result in uneven travel. When I was experiencing a failing motor, one side of the slide would stop slightly behind the other.

An appointment would be good if you can get in.

Jim

Comment

Villasventure I would be looking to get it into a shop when slide out alignment is the issue. If your dealer is non-responsive another option would be to make an appointment at the factory service center. They do phenomenal work and you know it will be done right. Not sure geographically where you are, but if taking it to Indiana is an option I would explore it. Unfortunately if you are out of your factory warranty I do not think they will take your aftermarket warranty.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

You will want to look that work over carefully before pulling out. My sagging gutter needs to be corrected and the slide motor they were going to replace was not done. I replaced the motor and reversed the switch wires so it worked correctly after returning home. I mentioned the slide was not correct while I was there but there was no bringing the rig back in at that time.
                          I'll cut them some slack since this all occurred over the height of the covid issue so they were no doubt short handed. Grateful they replaced my wall but I was not planning on correcting multiple issues after the visit. I still need to remove the sagging gutter and hope I do not find an issue.

Jim

Comment

Your pictures look very similar to the grinding on the racks of my Schwintek slide. Motors and racks were replaced and the slide did not pass quality control at the Holiday World in Katy, TX, working on it. Gears on the motors were ground up on the ones they replaced and the slide was still binding after the repair. They tell me they had an hour FaceTime call with Grand Design and GD requested measurements of the slide. When I spoke to GD customer service, I was told they had no record of communicating with Holiday World since they approved the replacement of the racks and motors back at the end of February. At 2 months and counting in the shop for this repair, I don’t know who to believe. Really hoping this can be repaired and it isn’t a slide that wasn’t built to spec. Have not been able to use my 2021 Imagine 2970RL for 7 months now (appt for the repair was obtained in August 2021 for an appt February 8, 2022- not sure when I’ll be getting it back due to poor communications by Holiday World). Thinking I’m going to have to drive down there to find out what’s actually going on (an hour away). Hope you have better luck than I have had in getting resolution - have to start cancelling non-refundable campground reservations and considering selling it once I get it back someday.
                            Eddie & Kathy
                            2021 Imagine 2970RL
                            2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
                            Houston, TX

Comment

Ebkent62 Eddie, First time I took our unit into the same location the service writer was horrible at communicating. I think they changed her out for a new person. It took me 5 days to get him to call me back for the recall on the fridge. Keep calling, ask for the manager if needed.

I'll be in there on the 14th if you have not made contact by then, let me know and I will see if I can get the manager's name and number since there has been little to no contact from the service writer.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X