Weak brakes Imagine 2500RL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak brakes Imagine 2500RL

Wondering if anyone has experience brakes not stopping as they should. Since day one I have noticed that the brakes are weak. I have taken it back to General RV and had a second-opinion trailer mechanic look at them and they both say that they are working. I have tested the wiring harness, and brake controller and hooked my truck to a friend's horse trailer and it is working perfectly. Does anyone have thoughts?

They may need to be adjusted if they are electrically working but not braking.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

If you have had it for a while and they are still weak I would suggest having a real inspection done. My experience with General has been that they are good at blowing you off and thin on doing any actual work.
      My last 3 trailers (2 of them GD) had been zealously greased at some point before delivery causing the brake linings to be covered in grease. The only way to tell for sure is to pull the drums and inspect them similar to a typical bearing repack. If the contamination isnt too bad they can be cleaned with Brakleen and be perfectly usable. If the contamination is bad then they will need replacing. The only way to know for sure is to pull the drums. Click image for larger version

Name:	rightrearbacker.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	108665
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2024 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas with faux Allison 10 speed. Nellie the Diva, wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ed View Post
        Wondering if anyone has experience brakes not stopping as they should. Since day one I have noticed that the brakes are weak. I have taken it back to General RV and had a second-opinion trailer mechanic look at them and they both say that they are working. I have tested the wiring harness, and brake controller and hooked my truck to a friend's horse trailer and it is working perfectly. Does anyone have thoughts?
        There are threads in this forum about this very issue. Besides those two issues discussed in posts 2 and 3, there is a break-in period that the brake manufacturers note is necessary to achieve full effectiveness. This is from the Dexter manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	108667

As I did not do this procedure, it took around 500-1000 miles of towing before the brakes worked as they should. I also adjusted the shoes shortly after I took delivery of the unit. It was not a subtle improvement, but a dramatic one. The above came from:

https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ice_manual.pdf

Ottertail, Minnesota
        2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
        2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ed View Post
          MR Ed
          First Welcome to the site.

It would help if we know your truck make and model (year), and trailer information model/year and miles towed. Please fill out your signature line and read the welcome letter. There could be several issues including the excellent information in post #4 by Alex. It could simply be you do not have your truck brake controller set properly too.

If you have never had your bearings repacked and brakes inspected find a large trailer dealer - not RV dealer such as Big Tex, PJ or other that has a full service center to have the inspection done and bearings repacked. Or this is also a DIY project, but if you pull the drums to inspect the brakes you will need new rear seals before reinstalling.

On other simple thing to check is see if all of the brake wiring is connected and good going to the brake drums.

Hope this helps and safe travels

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Did you try someone else's truck hooked to your camper?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here's a quick check you can use to see if the brakes are working adequately.

1. Hook up the trailer and take it to a location where you can safely drive at slow speeds and test the brakes. An empty parking lot works great.
              2. Pull the trailer at 15 mph.
              3. Take your foot off the accelerator and apply the hand control portion of the brake controller. Do NOT apply the brake pedal on the tow vehicle.
              4. If the trailer brakes stop the truck/trailer and hold it from moving forward at idle, the brakes are working correctly.

You can fine tune the brake controller to be more or less aggressive with the trailer braking and test it out using the method above. You never want the trailer brakes to lock up during this test. If any one of them does, then back off the controller settings.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
              X