No announcement yet.

Suspension bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These ideas address structural issues but don't remove the fact that side loading twists the springs that then put a twist through the shackle bolts to the hangers. This makes a good case for independent, non-leaf spring suspension that takes away the shackle bolts eliminating shackle bolt failures.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

you just transfer the load to another component. Now the torsion arm of the IS is carrying the side load.

Might be a better option in some cases. I'm not completely sold on the torsion arm setup due to the force carrying component being rubber bars inside the tubing. To easy for one axle to carry majority of the load.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        you just transfer the load to another component. Now the torsion arm of the IS is carrying the side load.

Might be a better option in some cases. I'm not completely sold on the torsion arm setup due to the force carrying component being rubber bars inside the tubing. To easy for one axle to carry majority of the load.
        So, I'm on the fence with this - wanting to go the IS route but trying to justify under what use cases IS would be the better option - miles per year, off road vs. interstate, driving style (i.e. county roads vs. interstates)? But 16 months of use at complete failure seems like it doesn't match our use case. The only reason I ordered the 8K option was based on MORryde saying they would install 8K on our 310 based upon its size/weight and recommend we order to re-use the disc brakes. My intent was to have IS installed from the factory but that went out the door with Covid builds and I was told by the dealer that the only chance of getting discs was to order the 8K option due to supply chain issues. I will have about 8K on the repaired suspension when we visit GD's Elkhart facility in April. If there is anything that has to be replaced due to wear, then it might be time to try IS. I get it that there is no perfect solution but I don't want to go through this every year.
        2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
        2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Jlawles2, yes. Probably want tires with high load ratings for sure.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Here is what I did recently. One trac bar per axle and new custom built thick wall DOM axles after bending the Dexters. Dexter blamed the roads so no help from them or GD. I might be crazy but these things are supposed to be built to operate on these same roads that are blamed for the destruction of the suspensions, are they not?

Nels & Vanessa
            2022 Reflection 31MB
            2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 SRW Standard Bed Duramax, BW OEM non slider hitch custom 7000 axles w dual panhard rods and G rated tires.

Comment

Originally posted by nprario View Post
              Here is what I did recently. One trac bar per axle and new custom built thick wall DOM axles after bending the Dexters. Dexter blamed the roads so no help from them or GD. I might be crazy but these things are supposed to be built to operate on these same roads that are blamed for the destruction of the suspensions, are they not?
              Interesting idea. Looks like a very neat install. Did you fabiricte everything?

Most of the axles under our units are light tube (.16" thick) and the connection point you have bend in short order. When I bent mine I went with Dexter 7K tuber (3.5" dia HW 0.5"thick ) and a 6K hub to fit my existing rims. If I may ask, how did you attach to the frame? That's another weak point on most of our trailers. My frame cracked above the hangers (web) due to improper bracing.

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I did not do the work. I had a trailer the shop that designed the system and makes trailers and axles do it. A square bar is welded across all the spring hangers on the frame mount side that the bars are bolted to. The axles are 3.25" diameter and not exactly sure of the thickness but looking at the old tubing compared to the new stuff probably 2.5 times thicker so maybe around .4 or so thick and DOM tube which I think is supposed to be a bit stronger. They put the spindles you mention on so I could keep the stock wheels. I also upgraded to Sailun G rated tires. They have done quite a few of these systems and they have had good luck with them so hopefully no suspension parts going forward. IMHO I think the severe side loading on the axles, hangers and springs when turning sharp again and again is what causes much of the damage folks see to spring hangers, springs and bolts so hoping the trac bar system eliminates these forces or at least reduces to a bare minimum.
                Nels & Vanessa
                2022 Reflection 31MB
                2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 SRW Standard Bed Duramax, BW OEM non slider hitch custom 7000 axles w dual panhard rods and G rated tires.

Comment

I have never seen a track bar on a trailer. I'll never be able to say that again. Hope it works out well for you.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

nprario Nels . . . Nicely done!

Scott'n'Wendy Scott . . . Gyrogearloose and I were working on a Panhard (track) bar design several years ago . . . there is more info somewhere on this (or another) forum. Not unlike the design that Nels has had installed.

See attached picture.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	clamp on panhard.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	123817
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks, yea I went back and looked at all the stuff you, Scott and Gyrogearloose were doing which helped reinforce my decision to get this system installed. Pretty sure it should keep the lateral axle movements in check.
                      Nels & Vanessa
                      2022 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Not the document we refer as this is structures, but by quick glance it appears similar: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...43974X22006228
                        Quick glance?!? lol I was just reading the 'bending moment in a pin'. There's no way for me to 'glance' at that and understand it...lol
                        I probably don't understand it properly like you and Ted but appreciate the link none the less.

2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                          Jlawles2, yes. Probably want tires with high load ratings for sure.
                          Someone, maybe ajg617 on another forum, was contemplating IS and I asked on the thread if Mor-Ryde has any tire advice post installation to address the potential of one tire carrying the load. Apparently Mor-Ryde has nothing to say about that? I too think you should up your tire rating with IS.
                          2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Someone, maybe ajg617 on another forum, was contemplating IS and I asked on the thread if Mor-Ryde has any tire advice post installation to address the potential of one tire carrying the load. Apparently Mor-Ryde has nothing to say about that? I too think you should up your tire rating with IS.
                            Not sure I can go much higher. GVWR or trailer is 18,000lbs and I have Cooper H rated 17.5" tires on it. Typically loaded for a long trip, I'm under 16,000.
                            2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn

Comment

Hi ajg617. I'm the guy you helped in Glacier NP this summer. Thank you again! After getting that broken bolt fixed, I broke another one 2K miles later on the last day of our trip. When I got home, GD sent me to my dealer for replacement of all bolts, shackles, springs, and two out of the eight hangars, but I had to keep the existing equalizers and remaining hangars. I've put about 1000 miles on the new parts and so far so good. I'm contemplating adding X-factor bars and sumo springs to improve reliability without too much cost. I also bought tools and GD gave me parts for future DIY roadside repair (if only I had the skills!). But here's my idea....I think I want some sort of "suspension monitoring system" so I don't have to keep crouching down at every stop and hope that I notice a failing part. Maybe a GoPro mounted underneath? I'm very paranoid now after this year's experience.
                              Last edited by Tophermiller; 11-19-2023, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tophermiller View Post
                                Hi ajg617. I'm the guy you helped in Glacier NP this summer. Thank you again! After getting that broken bolt fixed, I broke another one 2K miles later on the last day of our trip. When I got home, GD sent me to my dealer for replacement of all bolts, shackles, springs, and two out of the eight hangars, but I had to keep the existing equalizers and remaining hangars. I've put about 1000 miles on the new parts and so far so good. I'm contemplating adding X-factor bars and sumo springs to improve reliability without too much cost. I also bought tools and GD gave me parts for future DIY roadside repair (if only I had the skills!). But here's my idea....I think I want some sort of "suspension monitoring system" so I don't have to keep crouching down at every stop and hope that I notice a failing part. Maybe a GoPro mounted underneath? I'm very paranoid now after this year's experience.
                                Hey Chris,
                                Glad you made it home. We did as well but GD is having me bring the rig out to Elkhart in April. I think I'm going the IS route if they find anything wrong with the repairs made at Glacier and Columbia Falls. I'll have about 7K miles on it since repair by the time I get there. The pallet of parts GD sent included all new hangers, MORryde shackles, wheel bearings, seals, 6 springs (and I only need 4), bolts, etc. The hangers were not big enough to fit around the axles so I'm not entirely sure they sent the correct kit though the springs are 8K. Luckily the trailer repair shop in Columbia Falls was able to source the correct size and they are much more robust than the ones that were on originally. I also noticed the old spring marks on the axles were a bit wide and not where the new hangers sit. Makes me wonder if the low torque recall for Curt axles might also have been a problem with my Dexters. The extra springs wasn't a confidence builder and one of the reasons I am seriously considering IS.
                                Stay in touch.
                                cheers,
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X