Speed Rating on new tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Rating on new tires?

My stock westlakes just seperated on my 2021 381m. Researching tires has been an unexpected nightmare. Seems like there are no clear "good tires" and there are a few big models that have their share of lovers and haters.

Are there any big disadvantages I should know about with the Carlisle CSL and are there any disadvantages to going from 235/80r16 to 235/85r16 ? Upgrading the size seems to barely add 0.5" size, if that, but gives a nice boost in load rating. Seems like a no brainer. The reason I'm now leaning towards the Carlisle's is they seem to be the only ones with a higher 82mph speed rating. Which may actually be a good thing, considering much of my state is 75mph speed limits. Are there any disadvantages to them though?
    Last edited by timelinex; 04-23-2024, 12:25 PM.
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Goodyear Endurance has a speed rating N. 87 mph.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

So long as there is room for the extra 1/2", I see no reason not consider the different size. Touching the trailer floor is the only real issue I can think of and you are only reducing the gap there by 1/4"
      I don't have but Sailun seem to be popular with people that have heavy trailers like yours. Take a look?
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

timelinex -- after the trip to National this year I'll be buying new tires, too. Based on the first set, I'm going (again) with Sailuns. Simpletire.com seems to be the best source but my research is not comprehensive: https://simpletire.com/brands/sailun-tires/s637-trailer If you go with Sailun there's no need to go with the larger tire IMO.

Since the Sailuns are rated to 110PSI cold pressure but my 315RLTS' sticker says 80 PSI (for OEM rated tires), I've gone by the wear pattern on the tires and adjusted the cold pressures over time accordingly. I've settled on 90 PSI. (The "how much air when cold" topic has been discussed at length and there are many many different opinions. Mine is this: with OEM tires, air to the sticker on the camper. If the tires used have a different rating from the OEM provided tires, then additional understanding and possibly adjustment to the cold value is required in the different tires.)

If interested, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...talled-315rlts

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by timelinex View Post
          My stock westlakes just seperated on my 2021 381m. Researching tires has been an unexpected nightmare. Seems like there are no clear "good tires" and there are a few big models that have their share of lovers and haters.

Are there any big disadvantages I should know about with the Carlisle CSR and are there any disadvantages to going from 235/80r16 to 235/85r16 ? Upgrading the size seems to barely add 0.5" size, if that, but gives a nice boost in load rating. Seems like a no brainer. The reason I'm now leaning towards the Carlisle's is they seem to be the only ones with a higher 82mph speed rating. Which may actually be a good thing, considering much of my state is 75mph speed limits. Are there any disadvantages to them though?
          I think you are referring to the CSL 16 Carlisle. Unless you’re trying to gain some height and there is enough space, don’t forget to allow for suspension travel, I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work out for you. This is a great tire that doesn’t get enough recognition. I’ve been running the 15 “ version, probably over kill on my rig, and highly recommended them. It is entertaining to watch a tire tech mount these tires because the sidewall is as strong as a commercial truck tire.
          Retired Tanker Yanker
          2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK - Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch 6-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,500-lb Axles
          My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
            So long as there is room for the extra 1/2", I see no reason not consider the different size. Touching the trailer floor is the only real issue I can think of and you are only reducing the gap there by 1/4"
            I don't have but Sailun seem to be popular with people that have heavy trailers like yours. Take a look?
            I was originally going with Sailun. It seems like most people on the forums like them. Then some guy who seemed to know what he was talking about and worked in they said the 16" ones are poorly designed and have serious issues. After that I realized the Carlisles have the speed rating advantage and those two things are starting to sway me. But I'm still not sure.

(To clarify, I'm not putting much stock in what one guys says versus many others. His comment just made me look into things more and led me to think about the speed rating. I figured it was also worth mentioning in case other people have had similar experiences)

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            Goodyear Endurance has a speed rating N. 87 mph.
            I've only found E rated tires from them. I need G

Originally posted by Skilletface View Post

I think you are referring to the CSL 16 Carlisle. Unless you’re trying to gain some height and there is enough space, don’t forget to allow for suspension travel, I can’t think of any reason it wouldn’t work out for you. This is a great tire that doesn’t get enough recognition. I’ve been running the 15 “ version, probably over kill on my rig, and highly recommended them. It is entertaining to watch a tire tech mount these tires because the sidewall is as strong as a commercial truck tire.
            YEP! I made the correction to CSL.​
            Last edited by timelinex; 04-23-2024, 12:56 PM.
            2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Huh...
              I didn't realize the Sailuns were only rated at 75mph. I am occasionally at or above that. Guess Sailuns are off my list now as well.
              2021 303RLS

Comment

Huh...
                I didn't realize the Sailuns were only rated at 75mph. I am occasionally at or above that. Guess Sailuns are off my list now as well.
                I'm a conservative old codger that pokes along at 65 mph. If I'm going faster it's only to pass and it's a short duration, thus the Sailuns work for me. I've read Carlisle testimonials and they do have a good reputation so I wouldn't hesitate to put a set of them on my trailer. Options are good!
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'm a conservative old codger that pokes along at 65 mph.
                  I always start out saying that's what I'm going to do to....and then there I am doing 80.

Along I40 and I10 last winter everyone else was going 75-80 and I didn't want to be the out of country visitor holding everyone up...have you seen those road rage videos on YouTube? I didn't want to feature in one of those!!!. lol
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by timelinex View Post

Are there any big disadvantages I should know about with the Carlisle CSL and are there any disadvantages to going from 235/80r16 to 235/85r16 ? Upgrading the size seems to barely add 0.5" size, if that, but gives a nice boost in load rating. Seems like a no brainer. The reason I'm now leaning towards the Carlisle's is they seem to be the only ones with a higher 82mph speed rating. Which may actually be a good thing, considering much of my state is 75mph speed limits. Are there any disadvantages to them though?
                    Now if this was back the the 80's - 90's Carlisle were junk. Had numerous blow outs with them, but they were the only game in town. Looks like times have changed. Hankook has a G tire, but know nothing about it. https://www.prioritytire.com/by-bran...4&gad_source=1

I had a set of car tires from them and they did well on my old SUV.. The only other option is to look at LT or commercial truck tires. Do you have a qualified tire shop around you to discuss. Of course that opens up a whole new can of worms

I was looking at these (XPS ribbed) before deciding on the GY Endurance https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...!&gad_source=1 But they are E rated.

Good luck on your decision

Keith
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I always start out saying that's what I'm going to do to....and then there I am doing 80.

Along I40 and I10 last winter everyone else was going 75-80 and I didn't want to be the out of country visitor holding everyone up...have you seen those road rage videos on YouTube? I didn't want to feature in one of those!!!. lol
                      I don't want to speed while towing, but as long as things feel stable (no bad road conditions), I want to go the speed limit. I went through parts of Utah that are 80, so I went exactly 80. If someone wants to go 65 the entire time, even though that 80... I think that's OK. I would rather them go the speed they feel safe in than drive past their limits. But I also think it is reasonable to want to go the speed limit. The Westlakes did just fine at 80. That was a few trips ago and my blowout I just had was at 45mph. But even though there is a nice safety margin on ratings, I would always rather be within the rating than outside of it. So that is what has me thinking.

On the other hand, what I have heard about the Carlisle is they have extremely hard sidewalls and, in a blowout, will likely do much more damage than a softer sidewall tire. I wouldn't have considered this before, but seeing how often people have blowouts (and just having one myself), I'm now considering this possible downside. I got lucky and all that happened was it broke off a small piece of the tire well outside trip.
                      Last edited by timelinex; 04-24-2024, 11:39 AM.
                      2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Working...
                      X