MORryde X-Factor bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys,

The X Factor could be installed on the center hanger. Its a 20 minute bolt on solution to lateral motion where most of this takes place since both axles terminate together at the center hangers. The X Factor bracket would provide additional stability where it most likely would not be felt in the TV.

The V Clip IMO is only needed on the rear hangers where there are some lateral loads but not as much as the center hanger. Yet the center hangers do not fail. Why do the rears fail? Spring Wrap and the majority of forces being applied in the rear hangers in the longitudinal direction after front axle rise on heavy braking. Why are most failures on the right rear? Most road patches, ruts and so on are on the right side of the road where braking while on these surfaces would add to the fatigue that takes place on rear hangers.

This is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      steve&renee amp;
      Hi Steve,

The width of the V brace is not a standard flatbar dimension. This needs to be about 1 7/8"... If I were fabricating these I would go to my metal supplier and ask him for six 1 7/8" slices of 1/4" x 6" flatbar (or plate). I would cold bend these to 90 degrees with a generous radius at the bend. You could outsource the bending or acquire a suitable bender for about $100.
      Rob
      Seriously? Are all the guys talking about V bracing going to these lengths? I'm kinda overwhelmed with the amount of end-user required fabrication for this job. Seems like a project on the higher end of the "on a scale of 1 to 10". First you have to fabricate a set of matching specialized components, then you have to educate some welder-guy about your purpose, then you have to hope he gets the point and follows thru? How many folks are actually getting this done on their rigs?

-Steve
      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

An easier way would be to buy 1/4" x 3" x 3" angle and saw cu to length of 1-7/8" or what ever you need to fit between the hanger legs. Then get them welded in. If I recall they are welded on the front on one side and the opposite side on the back of the same hanger. I guess I need to go into the "v-clip'" supply business , welding will be up to the owner. I have read and had my own opinion on this matter but I am nost sure which path I will take , if any.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Seriously? Are all the guys talking about V bracing going to these lengths? I'm kinda overwhelmed with the amount of end-user required fabrication for this job. Seems like a project on the higher end of the "on a scale of 1 to 10". First you have to fabricate a set of matching specialized components, then you have to educate some welder-guy about your purpose, then you have to hope he gets the point and follows thru? How many folks are actually getting this done on their rigs?

-Steve
          Steve,

We have not done a survey where I am curious if most of these failures are from heavy units where disc brakes have been installed. Disc brakes incorporate additional stopping power and less brake fade than drum brakes on the same rig.
          During heavy braking, front axle rise will occur and in many cases traction on the front axle can be greatly reduced. When this occurs, most of the mass from the rig is being applied to the rear axle which also takes on most of the braking forces. What component is the solid anchor point on the rear axle under these conditions? The rear hangers.

Since Lippert has been installing these V Clips, I would inquire with them in how they should be welded in, for those that wish to have them installed. I've seen where some are welded in diagonally and some welded in at all contact points on the hangers. I would prefer to weld in diagonally, as this staggers the heat affected zone on the hanger.

This is a personal decision where those at increased risk are heavy rigs with the longer hangers and most likely with disc brakes IMO. V Clips are really only needed on the rear hangers and would not be a big tear up.

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2020, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

I've seen where some are welded in diagonally and some welded in at all contact points on the hangers. I would prefer to weld in diagonally, as this staggers the heat affected zone on the hanger...

Jim
            So now you're telling me that if you don't get the welding done just right, my do-it-yourself fix could actually compromise the hangers? Jeez!
            2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
            Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
            2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
            18k B&W Companion, non-slider
            640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
            Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
            Somerset, WI

Comment

Country Campers
              The angle iron fabrication should work just as well. I did not install my V clips and am just describing what I see in my hangers as installed by LCI techs. The installed piece bent from flat bar looks to be bent to wider than 90 degrees for best fit.

I agree with the comments the you make, except the piece of the puzzle that does not fit is that the broken hangers all exhibit the characteristics of a fatigue break that progresses over time. This fits with the "wiggling" that can be seen in the LCI video. An overload break as you describe should show some tearing or deformation of the hanger bracket. My right rear hanger "snapped off" while travelling at about 2 MPH through a campground. More than 90% of the fracture line was rusted, indicating that this process had been going on for a while.

steve&renee amp;
              Can't argue with your point that we should not have to be doing things like this to the suspension of new trailers. The broken (tall) hanger is a recognized failure mode. If you plan on travelling a lot of miles, this is a way to mitigate this risk. Once you get into fabricating the part(s) and hiring the welder, installing 4 (or 6) will not cost much more than installing 2.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The LCI video is an example of hangers that have been extended far beyond the length of acceptability. So its not all that valuable other than noticing the front axle rise and serves as a great example in what not to add to a trailer. As in the add on correct track kit.
                Once the rear hanger is stressed longitudinally to promote crack propagation, all motion will begin to work in this area until the crack begins to spread. Since we know that its the rear hangers that will fail, its reasonable that V Clips added only to the rear hangers would provide the increased strength to prevent a failure.

If some feel its lateral stresses that are causing this failure, just bolt on an X factor bracket to the rear hangers and save money from going to a fabricator. Its a fast and easy install. For those that feel the failure mode is caused by longitudinal forces, have the V Clips welded into the rear hangers.

But to get the best of both solutions, add the X factor bracket to the center hangers to stabilize lateral motion of both axles. This would also reduce lateral stresses on all hangers. The V Clips on the rear hangers would support the rear axle in the longitudinal direction under heavy braking when front axle rise and spring wrap occurs.

Jim

Comment

I just purchased the Morryde X-Factor crossmember for my 2021 Solitude S-2930RL. It has V Clips in all of the hangers (center as well as the front and back ones. I am considering purchasing longer bolts for the X-Factor clamps so I can bolt around the complete center hanger. The V Clip makes it impossible to clamp just one side of the hanger.
                  2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                  1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                  2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

my center looks like that on my 2022 Reflection 150 226rk not sure how you would even install the center brace with the Hoses and that white thing there right in line with the center hanger??

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	261
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	115980​
                    2022 Grand Design Reflections 150 226RK GMC 3500 HD Turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ccreed View Post
                      my center looks like that on my 2022 Reflection 150 226rk not sure how you would even install the center brace with the Hoses and that white thing there right in line with the center hanger??

Name:	image.png
Views:	261
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	115980​
                      The instruction say to drill a hole through the wider hanger for the clip. See post #61 here https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-by-step/page5 Also shows how in the instructions that come with the kit. Contact Morryde if you have questions - great folks to work with.

Name:	IMG_1587s.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	115995 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1566s.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	115996
                      Foreground is center hanger with top clip that clears the outer edges, In the background is the angle hanger. Clip fits one side and you drill the hole for the other bolt. Easy to do. See second photo for completed connection
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Ccreed, that "white thing" is the manual drain for the freshwater tank. But I bet you already knew that.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Update
                          Went for a test drive today. What a difference in trailer handling and noise reduction. Side wobble on rough roads is gone as well as the suspension creaking and groaning.. Also in tight backing the tire leaning or twisting is greatly reduced
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                            Update
                            Went for a test drive today. What a difference in trailer handling and noise reduction. Side wobble on rough roads is gone as well as the suspension creaking and groaning.. Also in tight backing the tire leaning or twisting is greatly reduced
                            Congrats on the completion of a major project, Keith. See you soon! (Don't forget to bring the vent.)
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                              Update
                              We'll see about the creaking and groaning when I park you in Area B in a few weeks.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

We'll see about the creaking and groaning when I park you in Area B in a few weeks.

Jim
                                LOL - I'll try and keep it down BTW how wide are the camping spots and access road - I practiced getting into 14' wide by 40' deep out of my 12' wide drive drive after the test. 90 degree backing) Got it in, but it was not pretty. My biggest learning curve is how far forward to pull and when to start easing out of the turn. However I was turning to the blind side - I know I could do better if the turn was to the drivers side.. I was planning on mid morning Friday, but after the emails and blog I may make is Saturday morning, or do you think Friday afternoon would be OK?

Keith

Comment

Working...
                                X