Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dexter Nev-R-Lube™ verses Dexter EZ Lube axles - discussion pro/con?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe your input is valuable Scott and its important to get a perspective on these bearings. If I had to buy new wheels I would not move in this direction, so this is a valuable point. But I'm curious if the product has improved in 20 years? I could see you running from them. LOL. I see plenty of satisfied owners of these axles on other forums but I cannot post those here. There is also a recall from Airstream on them. But like other technologies, sometimes bugs need to be worked out and application errors could occur too. Like GDRV moving up in axle size on some rigs like my Imagine as one example.

I'm not defending these bearings but they can be inspected for leakage and runout.

How do you feel about the sealed bearings on your truck? They seem to be pretty reliable even with offset wheels.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2022, 08:00 PM.

Comment

If you are going to continue with the 1940s technology electric drum brakes, inspecting the bearings when you pull the hubs to inspect the brakes makes sense. There is nothing to inspect with a sealed bearing cartridge. If you were considering more modern vented disc brakes, the sealed bearings make more sense. Since you can inspect disc brakes without disassembly, there would be no reason to pull the hub with sealed bearings.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        If you are going to continue with the 1940s technology electric drum brakes, inspecting the bearings when you pull the hubs to inspect the brakes makes sense. There is nothing to inspect with a sealed bearing cartridge. If you were considering more modern vented disc brakes, the sealed bearing make more sense. Since you can inspect disc brakes without disassembly, there would be no reason to pull the hub with sealed bearings.

Rob
        I agree Rob.

Disc brake option would be ideal where in most cases overheating rarely would happen too. I believe some of these Nev-R-Lube bearings fail due to brakes overheating. Once overheated, the bearing needs to come out. Scott brings up a good point on the special wheels.

Jim

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Scott
          Thanks so much for your input. First hand knowledge is important.. If I may ask, did you have offset wheels? I have read a lot of negative threads and most had offset wheels or were well past 75000 miles. Several were due to botched installs on the torque. Most that have them carry a full hub assembly and an additional cartage. The only tools I don't have (well I do but they are lost) is the snap ring plyers

Now whats interesting in most major failures the outside hub snap ring has still been in place and the spindle salvageable. However hub damage has been an issue The same failure pictures for EZ lube has had more spindle damage, but less hub damage as the races can be replaced, Again more pro and cons.. Saturday I did call around to several of the auto parts stores in the area to check on cartridge availability and none in stock,, but next day available and most shops like NAPA had a press especially if they turn rotors/drums, or knew of someone that had one. BTW the 6K axle EZ-Lube bearings like my 4200lb bearings were not stocked either, RV dealer does have both, but off brand. RV dealer can also do the cartridges, but don't normally stock them.

I should be getting quotes back next week on the upgrade cost. So for now still reading and learning I do have zero offset wheels and my unit is not that heavy

One issue is to stay with the 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern I am regulated to the 42mm cartridge used on the 6 and 7K axle hubs with that pattern. There seems to be a slightly higher failure rate, but again offset wheels come into play. I also did a search on EZ- lube failures and there are just as many posted - most occurring after a service. A lot more on greased brakes.

So this is a quandary and lots more to learn, What great is the discussion with all of its opinions has stayed to the facts.

howson Howard I will be chatting with Dexter tomorrow and will ask about inspection intervals and life expediency. I also have a few more local contacts to make on folks that do axle swaps.

Thanks again everyone for all the input and research

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

My wheels were actually 10mm offset. As supplied from the factory with axles specifying 0 offset. Go figure.
            IMO, you will be better served with ez lube axles. They are a more sound design.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Jim, yes, they may have improved over the last decade or so. To which I cannot speak. Back then, I had the Ford 6.0 diesel and those nev'r'lube axles failing me at the same time. A dark chapter in our rving life. Both cost me money I didn't really want to spend.
              2021 303RLS

Comment

Yoda Keith, check to see if you can get the axles without the EZ-Lube option. IMHO, the goofy spring clip thing to keep the axle nut in place is GARBAGE. I'll take a cotter pin any day of the week.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  Yoda Keith, check to see if you can get the axles without the EZ-Lube option. IMHO, the goofy spring clip thing to keep the axle nut in place is GARBAGE. I'll take a cotter pin any day of the week.
                  Already check on that. Everything Dexter makes is EZ-Lube or Never Lube. A standard spindle appear not to be an option. Rockwell shows an option but from what I can tell is only making the EZ-Lube equivalent. Lippert still does but everything's China made and we all know Lippert Quality for greased brakes.

However I will double check and ask

Thanks for suggesting that it would be a stronger spindle too without the holes.

Keith
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

How do you feel about the sealed bearings on your truck? They seem to be pretty reliable even with offset wheels.

Jim
                    Yes, but they have an arrangement more similar to EZ lube than Nev'r'lube. There is a definite space between inner and outer bearings. That's why (in my opinion as an engineer, whoops, I mean electrician) they have the stability to handle offsets and road abuse.

The bearing being sealed isn't the problem. It's the two opposing bearings with one double sided race. It needs the load well centred on the cartridge.

2021 303RLS

Comment

Yoda
                      If you are seriously considering the nev'r'lube axles, maybe check and see if they are the same design as back in the mid 2000's. I think Glendale used them up till 2009?

Here is a picture of some disassembled nev'r'lube cartridges. According to the guy who took the pic, 18000km on the bearings before he replaced them.

Edit Those bearings are numerous years old but low mileage. They didn't get that way over one season, just not a lot of miles per season. Those were taken off a Titanium fifth wheel last year.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 09-19-2022, 06:25 AM.
                      2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                        howson Howard I will be chatting with Dexter tomorrow and will ask about inspection intervals and life expediency. I also have a few more local contacts to make on folks that do axle swaps.
                        lol...I think you confused me with someone else. All I know about bearings is they are round spinners and need lots of messy grease. Interesting thread!
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                          My wheels were actually 10mm offset. As supplied from the factory with axles specifying 0 offset. Go figure.
                          IMO, you will be better served with ez lube axles. They are a more sound design.
                          Scott,

The bearings in our trucks are very close together where bearings have design specifications on the type of load that is exerted on them and the speed they are rotated. If I were you I would probably not look at those again but it looks like you had an application issue with offset wheels when they were not supposed to be used on the rig. Hard to imagine 10mm would cause a failure but Dexter would surely point to this issue.
                          Once again, your input on these bearings is valuable where I would not buy new wheels with the sole purpose of using the Nev-R-Lube bearings but would be OK if my rig came with them with the proper wheels.

See attached by Trailer Life in regard to your experience.

Jim
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2022, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            If you are going to continue with the 1940s technology electric drum brakes, inspecting the bearings when you pull the hubs to inspect the brakes makes sense. There is nothing to inspect with a sealed bearing cartridge. If you were considering more modern vented disc brakes, the sealed bearings make more sense. Since you can inspect disc brakes without disassembly, there would be no reason to pull the hub with sealed bearings.

Rob
                            I think the tapered bearings came into use on the GM cars in the very late 50's.or early 60's Both of the 57 Chevys I have owned had ball bearings originally.
                            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                              Hard to imagine 10mm would cause a failure but Dexter would surely point to this issue.

Jim
                              Actually, at the time they did point to the offset but also supplied axles to us at a very reduced rate to get us to switch to EZ lube. I paid just over $600 for two 6000lb axles with brake assemblies. It was far below the going rate. So while they pointed out the misapplication regarding offset, they were willing to help us get rid of those nev'r'lube axles.

FYI, even with 0 offset wheels, the heavier fivers still suffered a high failure rate. Mine was not heavy, but had the 10mm offset. To me at least, this points to the nev'r'lube cartridge not being a very robust design.
                              2021 303RLS

Comment

I believe we need more information since there is positive feedback as well. See the customer photo with feedback and reviews.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bea...e/31-71-3.html

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X