Propane level indicators - types and how they work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    mpking and Cate&Rob -- then how does the screw on gauges work? There's no float and I can't envision how it would weigh the contents. Not doubting you guys, just can't connect what I've seen with what I'm reading. I know propane is great for BBQ grills and RV heaters...after that not too knowledgeable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge.JPG
Views:	1365
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	25067
    These gauges measure pressure only - which is "all or nothing" in a propane tank. They'll only tell you when the tank is empty (a little too late).

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I now have Flame King bottles (with built-in gauge). So far, no issues.
      Hi Howard,

Just to be clear, that "gauge" cannot measure the amount of propane in the tank. Note that it has a wide green band where the needle will wander, based on temperature, regardless of how much liquid propane is in the tank. When the liquid has all vaporized, the needle will move to the narrow yellow band and then quickly to the empty red zone. All that gauge can tell you is that either you have some unknown amount of propane . . . or the tank is empty.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        All that gauge can tell you is that either you have some unknown amount of propane . . . or the tank is empty.
        The only reason I know that is because a really smart Canadian (who owns a legacy 303) told me about this one (two?) years ago. (Good thing that Canadian doesn't have a per-post surcharge for everything I've learned from him--I'd owe a fortune!)

BL-- I know the limitations, but it's better than nothing.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
          ...But what works time after time for me is the little red/green gauge on the regulator when a tank runs out. Tank runs out, gauge turns red, auto flips to the next tank. Get empty tank filled, flip lever on top, gauge turns green until the other tank runs out.
          Same here. I'm a gadget junky and I'm always looking for an excuse to buy something to play with. I came thiiiiiiiiis close to buying the Mopeka device.

But, the auto switching regulator works so well for me there is no need for me to know how much propane is in a tank. I'll know it's empty when the flag turns red and if it isn't red, I don't care how much propane is in there.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

In the middle of the night (when I know the first tank is getting close to empty) I will hear the furnace hiccup and restart after the automatic switch-over. Then, I go back to sleep (and can deal with the empty tank in the morning). A very clever and useful device.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I use the Mopeka sensors. I had an issue with the magnets coming unglued from the sensors, but they shipped me new ones at no charge. I found the batteries to be a pain, so I took a lesson from someone with a levelmate pro and got a 3.3V power supply and soldered it onto the battery contacts for the Mopeka sensors. Now they run off the rigs power, and I find they work way better too. Always have full strength and they connect right away. Here is the supply I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                I use the Mopeka sensors. I had an issue with the magnets coming unglued from the sensors, but they shipped me new ones at no charge. I found the batteries to be a pain, so I took a lesson from someone with a levelmate pro and got a 3.3V power supply and soldered it onto the battery contacts for the Mopeka sensors. Now they run off the rigs power, and I find they work way better too. Always have full strength and they connect right away. Here is the supply I got:

Your post and one previously got me thinking about doing the power supply idea too. I really don't like the idea of opening the cover at the beginning and end of the season all the time and doing the battery thing. I am going to have to do this in the spring before we start travelling again.

Thanks,
                Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Your post and one previously got me thinking about doing the power supply idea too. I really don't like the idea of opening the cover at the beginning and end of the season all the time and doing the battery thing. I am going to have to do this in the spring before we start travelling again.

Thanks,
                  Rob
                  Yeah it was pretty straightforward if you’re comfortable with an iron. I run both sensors off one power supply with no issue.

Neil Citro

Comment

Update
                    So folks know I picked up one of the level indicator pens recommended https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-LPGC1...ct_top?ie=UTF8

It seems to work very well.
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yeah it was pretty straightforward if you’re comfortable with an iron. I run both sensors off one power supply with no issue.
                      Thanks. Educated in electronics and been in the field for 33 years so will be simple to do. I just need to stop myself from removing the battery holder and soldering to the board. Need to remind myself that KISS works best.

Rob
                      Rob & Barb
                      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Thanks. Educated in electronics and been in the field for 33 years so will be simple to do. I just need to stop myself from removing the battery holder and soldering to the board. Need to remind myself that KISS works best.

Rob
                        I hear you there, I’m sure you’ll be happy with the results then. I was amazed how much better it works of the power supply, so much do I wonder if the batteries I was using were underpowered.

Edit: spelling
                        Last edited by ncitro; 11-08-2020, 09:07 AM.

Neil Citro

Comment

I hear you there, I’m sure oil be happy with the results then. I was amazed how much better it works of the power supply, so much do I wonder if the batteries I was using were underpowered.
                          Yes I noticed that on your post. I have one sensor that works really good and one that sometimes losses the reading. Hopefully this will help.

Rob
                          Rob & Barb
                          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I hear you there, I’m sure oil be happy with the results then. I was amazed how much better it works of the power supply, so much do I wonder if the batteries I was using were underpowered.
                            Hmmm...I still have the Mopeka sensors stashed in a drawer somewhere. I may have to give this a try, too.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Did you put a fuse on the wiring?

Howard & Francine

Comment

Did you put a fuse on the wiring?
                                yes, I fused the input to the power supply, but not the output.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X