No announcement yet.

Grand Design Propane Regulator recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received my recall notice yesterday. I think I will replace on my own as I don't want to wait for the dealer. What is the recommended replacement? I see Stephen O replaced with a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H. They seem to be out of stock but I do see several Flame Kings available. Any advice?
    John and Lori
    2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Hi John,

I would think that any similar function device would be a good idea . . . even if you end up getting it replaced again as part of the recall, down the road (save your old one). These are going to be in short supply because this recall is much broader than just Grand Design. If you find one . . . grab it!

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by JHC View Post
        I received my recall notice yesterday. I think I will replace on my own as I don't want to wait for the dealer. What is the recommended replacement? I see Stephen O replaced with a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H. They seem to be out of stock but I do see several Flame Kings available. Any advice?
        I purchased the Flame King and installed it a few weeks ago. Thought I would get a head start on it before the 250,000 unit (several RV manufacturers) recall hit the street.

Not going to bother with the dealer or reimbursement for a $40.00 part.
        Mike & Lisa
        Central Florida
        2021 Imagine 2970RL
        1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by SheriFay View Post
          I just called GC Support. I have moved to an area with no GD dealer close. He advised me to call the closest dealer and have them order and send part to me. Then I could get it installed locally. I called the closest dealer, they will not do that. They have to have unit to confirm recall and document for submission to Grand Design. Their shop appointments are out to the end of July. We have a 10 day trip, leaving Friday. I guess we watch for the signs there is a problem and not use gas. We will probably go to our local RV shop and just get it replaced.
          Also, dealer service department has never heard of this recall...
          I trust what a dealer service dept tells me about as much as I would trust a drinking fountain in Tijuana during a pandemic.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post
            Not going to bother with the dealer or reimbursement for a $40.00 part.
            40usd ....the unit I found at a dealer was unfortunately ~$100cad. Now granted there is dealer overhead in that cost, but sadly it was close to Amazon prices, and I could get it right away. Dang exchange rate
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

40usd ....the unit I found at a dealer was unfortunately ~$100cad. Now granted there is dealer overhead in that cost, but sadly it was close to Amazon prices, and I could get it right away. Dang exchange rate
              One of the "benefits " of living in Canada! LOL!

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I came back to this thread and just ordered a Flame King.

Our dealer (4 1/2 hrs away) changed names and corporate structure and all warranty/recall is now handled at a single dealership only 2 hrs away. They reached out to me yesterday after sending a message through their website to handle the recall. I had to send the service advisor some photos of the front of my rig, the VIN tag, and the regulator to make sure it is part of the recall. It will cost more in gas to drive to this but my biggest concern is availability and how long a wait. The service advisor told me they would set an appointment and install it while I wait. I will let the guy know I bought one and make an appointment for them to put it on and test it since GD will pay for part if not all of it.
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Hi John,

I would think that any similar function device would be a good idea . . . even if you end up getting it replaced again as part of the recall, down the road (save your old one). These are going to be in short supply because this recall is much broader than just Grand Design. If you find one . . . grab it!

Rob
                  I purchased the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H which is high flow. I don't have a 5th wheel. Is this one overkill for my 22MLE? At 350,000 BTU?
                  John and Lori
                  2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                  2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

I purchased the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H which is high flow. I don't have a 5th wheel. Is this one overkill for my 22MLE? At 350,000 BTU?
                    John,
                    I ignorantly installed a high-pressure regulator on an outdoor firepit in place of a defective low pressure unit. When I turned on the gas (via the new regulator) my spidey senses told me something was wrong so I ducked down. Sure enough, when I clicked the starter..WHOOSH!!...there was a ball of flame that rivaled a flame thrower coming out of the firepit. Thus was my introduction and learning experience about the difference between a low pressure and high pressure regulator.

Bottom line: use the pressure level called for in the system. I don't know much about propane systems, but I think I can safely assert the two are not interchangeable.

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Ok. I guess I will pull off the WinnTech and see the model number and figure out a replacement. Thanks.
                      John and Lori
                      2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                      2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

I found that the WinnTec Model 6020 BTU is 287,500 but other searches says its 210,000. Anyone know what it really is?
                        John and Lori
                        2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                        2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

I ended up buying this Flame King model and it has gone up in a few days another $5. Now to get the dealer to install, test, and send the Winn-tec back to GD so maybe they will reimburse me for the regulator purchase. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                          Bill & Cindy
                          2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                          SE Texas

Comment

I found that the WinnTec Model 6020 BTU is 287,500 but other searches says its 210,000. Anyone know what it really is?
                            My keyboard research only told me it was 287, and I was able to see that value from a scanned copy of the installation instructions. I wasn't able to actually verify that since the regulator didn't have that specification stamped on it or anything, but I went with the 287 value since it was in the instructions I found. I tried finding the non "-H" version of the MEGR regulator, which is rated for 225,000 BTU/hr to try and match that 287 value as close as possible. However, I was only able to find the higher capacity unit, so I went with that.
                            2019 Imagine 2400BH
                            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Well, the Excelsior MEGR-253H and the Flame King came in today so I need to decide on which one to use. I am a little concerned using the Flame King as it may not have enough BTU's and the MEGR has too much!!
                              John and Lori
                              2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
                              2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
                                I ended up buying this Flame King model and it has gone up in a few days another $5. Now to get the dealer to install, test, and send the Winn-tec back to GD so maybe they will reimburse me for the regulator purchase. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                                Bill,

I received the recall notice yesterday and purchased the Flame King for $50.00.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X