Grand Design Propane Regulator recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwebb38 View Post
    Just got my new 2021 Imagine 17MKE a month ago, so a neighbor gave me an fyi copy of his recall notice. Went out and checked my regulator after landing on this site. Mine came with a TPA Mod. ACR-2 (with a white plastic cover over it) from the factory. Must of been a model they used after learning of problems perhaps?
    This same regulator (marketed as the Flame King) is sold at Home Depot though I do not know if they stock them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...-309005434-_-N

Jim

Comment

Flame Kings are still in stock at Amazon for $50 but who knows how long. Mine will be here tomorrow. I'm comfortable switching mine out but obviously don't have the ability to pressure test and satisfy the recall. Tempted to purchase the pressure test equipment for using in the future. Guessing GD won't trust our results of a pressure test haha. Or maybe its worth just running to the dealer for something that simple.

Comment

rwebb38 Welcome to the family and the forum! ​​​​​​​

When you have time, the moderators have taken the time to create a Welcome Letter to help new members have the best possible experience on the forum including posting tips, how to set up a signature line and searching the forums. You can find the letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Has anyone had the issue with their regulators?

Comment

Originally posted by scarfile View Post
            I couldn't say since we have never used the stove. We use for the water heater if using the AC and use to hook the griddle to. We haven't had any problems with those.
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by scarfile View Post
              I could smell a hint of propane at my tanks and decided to buy the Flame King on Amazon for $50. I see that Home Depot has the same regulator for $37.

The Flame King is working perfectly.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

I could smell a hint of propane at my tanks and decided to buy the Flame King on Amazon for $50. I see that Home Depot has the same regulator for $37.

The Flame King is working perfectly.

Jim
                Glad to hear that, Jim. I'm giving the dealer a very small amount of time more to contact me about the driveby change out like they said they could do. If not soon, I will change it myself and have a mobile tech come do the test.
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Abspapa View Post
                  I have been trying to reach Grand Design by phone and all that I keep getting is a busy signal on all the numbers they provide. I also sent an email inquiry and have not as yet received a response. I have received a Recall letter concerning the LP regulator on my coach. I took the issue to my selling dealer. They said I needed to tack a picture of my regulator and bring it to them. The service writer could not say how long the process would take. The recall letter says I should not use the propane system until the dealer checks out the problem. Not a happy camper.
                  Not an ideal situation by any means, waiting to hear from our dealer since our trailer has one of affected regulators. We bought this camper to really use it and have missed some chances. We just purchased our rig last September and have had to already cancel three trips. Even though the trip gets cancelled due to maintenance issues the monthly payment doesn't. We had a water leak and some other issues when we came back from Key West March 28th. Dealer couldn't touch it till April 27th and kept the rig till June 8th. When it came back we snuck in two trips including Acadia National park then the regulator recall hit.

Doing some quick math we've had this trailer for about almost a year and have been down for about 3 months of camping time. Hope this isn't a common trend, it's not a lot of fun making monthly payments on something you can't use.
                  '17 F-150 3.5TT | '21 Grand Design 2800BH

Comment

Full-time 22RBE
                    waiting
                    have been turning the propane on an off just to cook dinner
                    now it has failed completely
                    i really hope the supply catches up with demand before winter
                    it would be great if GD created a database of full-time folks and expedited things
                    2020 Imagine 22RBE, 2012 Armada Platinum, Full-time

Comment

I have been advised by GD that I can use a mobile tech and how much they will reimburse which doesn't cover it all. I won't have the expense of driving 2 hrs to the dealer, however.
                      Bill & Cindy
                      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                      SE Texas

Comment

If the local dealer cannot let me wait for my rig to do the recall, I will most likely bail and just continue using the Flame King for the $50 I have invested. Lets face it, if most folks needed a regulator, they would buy one, install it and never look back. The Flame King is working perfectly.

Jim

Comment

Just got the regulator replaced on our 2021 imagine 2600RB. I got the recall notice on a Monday, the dealer called me on Wednesday , I took the unit in the following Tuesday and got it back the next day, leak down test and all. They have set up a dedicated pair of techs and have a lot of regulators on hand from somewhere. I must say this is the first time this dealership has been efficient, friendly and affective in 5 years of dealing with them through 2 t.t.. The unit installed is a Marshall Excelsior.
                          In hindsight we did have a couple of symptoms that make sense now. The window with red and green indicators never did show a green. The water heater was fairly loud when lit compared to other units we had in the past and the water heater flame was irregular in size and color, it also would occasionally have the flame back up to near the air intake port but then normalize shortly after lighting. We will be full timing as we transition to a new location and home and are glad it was taken care of quickly and we can have the peace of mind knowing it is repaired. Evidently there are no supply issues in Montana at this time.

Dave
                          flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Is the drop test a lengthy test? How long does it normally take?
                            Bill & Cindy
                            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                            SE Texas

Comment

I finally arranged for a mobile tech to come put on the regulator and drop test. They have the details of GDs procedure and have done several. I had to return the Flame king (inside 30-day window by 4 days) because they won't install customer-purchased parts. They will be installing a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253 Reg 2-Stage for me.

On a side note, I purchased the FK for $45 then they went to $50. This morning, they are down to $37.95 is anyone is needing to purchase one.
                              Bill & Cindy
                              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                              SE Texas

Comment

Had the change-out performed today. Now, will send the required documents to GD for reimbursement.
                                Attached Files
                                Bill & Cindy
                                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                                SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X