Solitude Solar and Battery Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solitude Solar and Battery Installation

Over the last few weeks, I've been designing our new Solitude's electrical upgrades and building my material list. I should be getting the rest of my wire and lugs tomorrow so I can begin wiring.

The RV will have:
    920 amp hours of LiFePO4 batteries (Li Time)
    2000 watts of solar - Ten 200 watt panels.
    60 amps of DC-DC coverters
    Victron Lynx power in, Lynx shunt, and two Lynx distrubutors.
    Four battery shut off switches which will allow isolating one or more batteries for diagnostics when needed, or to keep 1 or 2 in reserve.

And lots more.

I finished laying out the front bay today and I'm looking forward to wiring it up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Install Progress.jpg Views:	581 Size:	126.1 KB ID:	124392

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 04-30-2024, 05:12 PM. Reason: Updated the title to reflect the thread better
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

This is sweet! I wish I had all that room. Keep us updated with more pics.
    Trib
    2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
    2021 Momentum 320G
    2021 Road Glide Limited
    See you down the road!!

Comment

Awesome setup Jim! You will really enjoy it.
      Dave
      2016 Reflection 27RL
      2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
      B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Nice wireless install! Nice'n'tidy...
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          Over the last few weeks, I've been designing our new Solitude's electrical upgrades and building my material list. I should be getting the rest of my wire and lugs tomorrow so I can begin wiring.

The RV will have:
          920 amp hours of LiFePO4 batteries (Li Time)
          2000 watts of solar - Ten 200 watt panels.
          60 amps of DC-DC coverters
          Victron Lynx power in, Lynx shunt, and two Lynx distrubutors.
          Four battery shut off switches which will allow isolating one or more batteries for diagnostics when needed, or to keep 1 or 2 in reserve.

And lots more.

I finished laying out the front bay today and I'm looking forward to wiring it up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Install Progress.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	124392

Jim
          Jim, I think this is awesome. You're setup is bigger than my setup. You win

I'm assuming you will use at least 2 awg wire from batteries to cut-off switch to Lynx Power in (200A max output, less than 5' total run, 12v). How flexible do you think the wires are

please keep posting. This looks like it will be an epic build.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

DLO (Diesel Locomotive) wire is the most flexible I'm aware of. But pricey and requires belled connectors to prevent breaking strands.
            2021 303RLS

Comment

ABYC Marine Spec wire has the finest strands and the most flexible insulation. For example 4/0 wire has over 2000 strands, each individually tinned for corrosion resistance. Ancor is a good source . . . but, not “inexpensive” . https://www.ancorproducts.com/-/medi...20200402131653

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I bought my cable from a local welding shop. They have all the sizes but only in black so I had to add red to the positive cables.
                Trib
                2021 Momentum 320G
                2021 Road Glide Limited
                See you down the road!!

Comment

I purchase my cables from Windy Nation and they have an Amazon link.

acoleman43 - Allen - I'll be running 4/0 from the batteries to the Lynx distributor. I want each battery to be able to power the system independently. So they need to be able to power max load.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I purchase my cables from Windy Nation and they have an Amazon link.

acoleman43 - Allen - I'll be running 4/0 from the batteries to the Lynx distributor. I want each battery to be able to power the system independently. So they need to be able to power max load.

Jim
                    I went with Windy nation as well. Great quality products.

The 4/0 are not very flexible. You may have to run some big loops in each one to get from battery to switch to Lynx Power in. I had to run a loop or 2 with 4/0 (and 1/0) with my setup. Each 4/0 loop was another $15 out of my pocket, and it took up valuable space and didn't look as clean :(

Also, if the LiTime battery BMS allows max 200A from each battery. You need only size wires for each battery to the switch and switch to the Lynx Power In based in the max allowed 200A - because the BMS will never allow more than 200A from each battery. A Windy Nation 2 awg wire will handle up to 205A. You're good with 2 awg up to about 7'. 7'-10' go with 1/0.

2 awg is half the price of 4/0
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

acoleman43 - You're spot on about the 200 amp max from the batteries. I missed that and already bought the 4/0...

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

acoleman43 - You're spot on about the 200 amp max from the batteries. I missed that and already bought the 4/0...

Jim
                        Lol...you will never have an issue with the 4/0 cables. They won't even get warm
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Lol...you will never have an issue with the 4/0 cables.
                          Other than maybe a few choice adjectives directed at them when trying to bend a tight corner. Between one end of the batteries and the disconnect sw's looks kinda tight for 4/0. Although the batteries may just be placed there for now?
                          2021 303RLS

Comment

I found that if I needed a tight bend in my 4/0 cable I would bend it and hold that radius while crimping the lugs on. This worked perfect. I even formed the radius before cutting to length to keep the end square.
                            Trib
                            2021 Momentum 320G
                            2021 Road Glide Limited
                            See you down the road!!

Comment

Jim
                              Jim I suspect you will be moving those switches. Here is a picture of my install with just 2-2/0 from the battery along with the negative from the battery that connect under the positive on top. Then you will have the ground to the frame somewhere too. 4/0

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0603s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.6 KB ID:	124447 The battery cables are 2/0 and center frame ground is 4/0 As the battery box hid the disconnects I later removed then and went direct to the battery from the Lynx power in and for winter storage pull the negative cables off the battery. The square bar/switch and fuse with 4/0 on the left go to the multiplus.

I cant tell from you photo, but do you have room behind the batterys to loop down to come up into the switch. Looks like a great layout though. I know it means different lugs and cable, but you might find switching to 2/0 will make it go better. Its a bummer you had not planed this before the Rally as I put enough 2/0 on the swap table to do this

Keith

BTW I learned as I went to use heavy plastic coated wire (bailing wire) to measure the cable runs to help get them the correct length.. Example
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0597s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	124448

Hope this helps
                              Keith
                              Attached Files
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X