No announcement yet.

Solitude Solar and Battery Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I finished the Inverter installation. I re-routed the 6/3 line that went from the 50 amp inlet to the breaker panel. I was able to disconnect it from the panel and run it to the underbelly and forward to the inverter. Then I purchased 15 feet of 6/3 Romex from Lowes and install it in the underbelly from the inverter to the breaker panel.

The Multiplus II calls out two pair of 1/0 cable for less than 5 meters, and two pair of 2/0 for runs over 5 meters. I didn't have any 1/0 or 2/0, but had plenty of 4/0. So I ran a pair of 4/0 from the Lynx distributor to the Multiplus. 4/0, is not fun to work with - just sayin'. But I'll never have an issue with not enough ampacity in my wires..

I still need to run a chassis ground from the Multiplus and the Lynx components, but I hope to have everything up and running by Tuesday. I energized one battery tonight, and the Inverter started inverting. So at least that appears to be working.

I have ten 200 watt panels in the garage awaiting installation. I'll be down for six weeks starting on Thursday, so that will likely need to hold off until January unless my doc clears me sooner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Update B1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	124808

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Lookin good Jim.
      Just nitpicking here, but where the black cables leave the Multiplus and goes through the wall. Might want to consider a chase nipple, a piece of rubber or some other mechanical protection for that wire. It doesn't look like it is protected from rubbing on a steel edge.

Whatever is forcing a 6 week pause on you,...... hope it goes well.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
        Lookin good Jim.
        Just nitpicking here, but where the black cables leave the Multiplus and goes through the wall. Might want to consider a chase nipple, a piece of rubber or some other mechanical protection for that wire. It doesn't look like it is protected from rubbing on a steel edge.

Whatever is forcing a 6 week pause on you,...... hope it goes well.
        It's hard to see Scott. But the wire is going through a 3" plastic plug/grommet where it goes through the frame. GDRV/Lippert conveniently put one on each side of the bay for wiring access.

Jim
        Last edited by TucsonJim; 12-04-2023, 09:51 AM.
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

And the first stage is done. All the equipment is installed and functioning perfectly. The settings have been made for the shunt and cerbo. The charger has been programmed for LiFePO4 batteries. I'm currently running the factory 300 watt panel on the roof. In January, I'll be replacing that panel with ten 200 watt panels for 2000 watts.

Jim

Name:	Final Stage A.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	124925
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

TucsonJim Super clean! What goes next to the batteries, more batteries? Also, I don't recall if you mentioned, why did you want to isolate all those batteries individually?
            Trib
            2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
            2021 Momentum 320G
            2021 Road Glide Limited
            See you down the road!!

Comment

Originally posted by TribForce View Post
              TucsonJim Also, I don't recall if you mentioned, why did you want to isolate all those batteries individually?
              See post #1. . .

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

TribForce - That open space next to the batteries will be used sparingly if at all. I may put a storage container with fuses and other various parts that are needed infrequently. But primarily, the Multiplus Inverter needs to breathe. I'm considering putting a relay activated vent fan in the area to keep fresh air circulating. I'll monitor temps next summer to see if this is actually needed.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                  And the first stage is done. All the equipment is installed and functioning perfectly. The settings have been made for the shunt and cerbo. The charger has been programmed for LiFePO4 batteries. I'm currently running the factory 300 watt panel on the roof. In January, I'll be replacing that panel with ten 200 watt panels for 2000 watts.

Jim

Click image for larger version  Name:	Final Stage A.jpg Views:	28 Size:	153.3 KB ID:	124925
                  SWEET!!!!!!!!! I guess I don't like your install. You must have the patience of a Saint working with that stiff wire. Fantastic job my friend.

But the real question - what does Ginne think?

Can't wait for the bloopers video

So what lessons did the master learn from all this - and tricks we might want to learn from.

Also your wire chases and other stuff - can you down the road list your resources for the parts?

I cant wait to see this in person

Keith

ON edit what is going in the space in front of the Multiplus next to the batterys?
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yoda;n124949]
                    You must have the patience of a Saint working with that stiff wire.
                    /QUOTE]

One cable at a time and no deadlines. It worked.

But I was a sailor, so I have some very special words when things go amiss.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

TucsonJim

Spectacular, Jim.

Welcome to the VFC.
                      ...​
                      Victron FanBoy Club.

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Maybe the empty space is for the dual fuel generator for when all the expensive stuff doesn’t work LOL!

Rob

Name:	IMG_1700.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	124959
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

TucsonJim Jim - can I plug into your power plant if we ever boondock together? Beautiful work - neat, organized and functional.
                          Ottertail, Minnesota
                          2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                          2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                            TucsonJim

Spectacular, Jim.

Welcome to the VFC.
                            ...​
                            Victron FanBoy Club.

Howard
                            Yup...I'm thinking you VFC guys significantly add to the Dutch GDP!

Does look like nice stuff though.
                            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            2021 303RLS
                            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Nice looking installation. I like the individual switches for each battery. I’ve run into situations where it would have been nice to diagnose individual batteries. Lithiums are great, but with so many BMS systems in parallel, it can be challenging to isolate issues. Great job!

Comment

Hi Jim,
                                Thanks for sharing all your impressive work and results. I am in the planning stages for a similar build. May I ask a few questions and your insight? I am not an electrician. I've spent a lifetime doing reverse engineering​ and ​fixing my own stuff. I have a good working knowledge of RV electrical systems and I am terrific at troubleshooting & basic repairs. ​
                                • Why did you choose a 12-volt system over 24 or 48 volts?
                                • I do not see a stand-alone battery for the 12-volt side of the RV. I am assuming the 60 amps provided by the two DC to DC converters is supplying that power. Am I correct and why two?
                                • Have you been able to finish installation of the PV panels? If yes, are you happy with their performance?
                                Your system is about as close as I have found for what I envision my install will be.​ Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Country Campers; 02-24-2024, 09:19 AM. Reason: changed font to Forum standard
                                Michael & Lisa
                                Tulsa, OK
                                2024 Reflection 337RLS
                                2024 Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel

Comment

Working...
                                X