Solitude Solar and Battery Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Other than maybe a few choice adjectives directed at them when trying to bend a tight corner. Between one end of the batteries and the disconnect sw's looks kinda tight for 4/0. Although the batteries may just be placed there for now?
    Between disconnect and Power in is even worse in my opinion. They need to invent 90 degree cable
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Minimum bend radius might be a good question for WindyNation . . . I can’t find any data on their website.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yoda May I be so bold to suggest a MRBF fuse at the location indicated?
        Trib
        2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
        2021 Momentum 320G
        2021 Road Glide Limited
        See you down the road!!

Comment

You might invest in 90° lugs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	258
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	124457
          and

Name:	image.png
Views:	251
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	124458

I can see where these types of things would help make life simpler in your endeavor.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TribForce View Post
            Yoda May I be so bold to suggest a MRBF fuse at the location indicated?
            Interesting thought. That is the power out to the trailer power bar where the old battery connected. It goes through a disconnect switch. Not sure the cover will clear, but that is a good suggestion.
            Thanks
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda With the intended holder they stick out the side. I learned about it from Nate at Explorist Life
              Trib
              2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
              2021 Momentum 320G
              2021 Road Glide Limited
              See you down the road!!

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Between disconnect and Power in is even worse in my opinion. They need to invent 90 degree cable
                I was in the electrical trade for 33 years...and bend radius was always difficult to deal with once wire size was getting over #2. 500 and 750 mcm was just plain ignorant!
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Regarding the bend radius. What I failed to mention is that the batteries are about 2" from the rear wall. This allows the wire to loop without undue strain. My primary concern is the connection between the switch and the Lynx Power In. If I can solve that with moving switches, etc, then the rest should be pretty straightforward.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Well, it took a full day, and a little out of the box thinking, but I got-r-done. 4/0 is tough to work with. I built a raised panel for the switches, and ran the grounds behind it. I finished up at dark tonight and everything tested good.

Tomorrow, I wire the Multiplus.

Name:	Update A.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	124743
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      Well, it took a full day, and a little out of the box thinking, but I got-r-done. 4/0 is tough to work with. I built a raised panel for the switches, and ran the grounds behind it. I finished up at dark tonight and everything tested good.

I love your idea of spacing the switches off and running the ground behind. Mind sharing how you did that? Genius thinking if I might say so.

Also the wire chase - excellent.. I could only wish to have 1/1000 your talent in wiring .

Great job

Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks Keith Yoda

I used two pieces of 3/8" exterior plywood which made it 3/4". Then, I ripped a 2x4 to final dimensions of 1.5" x 2". I drilled and screwed it together. Then primed the wood and painted it black. Once the paint dried, I removed the screws one at a time and used 4" screws to secure it to the backer board. You can see the part in the photo above. The switches are mounted to it.

Jim
                        Last edited by TucsonJim; 12-03-2023, 10:43 AM.
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

x2 on Yoda Keith’s comments . . . Running the grounds behind the switches and using the wire routing chases is very clever. Many years ago I installed a switch for every battery in a large marine lead/acid battery bank. You will not regret this extra installation work.

Looking Good !!

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Nice! Panduit wire duct is a nice touch as well. Makes everything nice'n'neat after the covers are on.
                            Did you have to connect the four red wires to the lynx power in then move all four switches up together?
                            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            2021 303RLS
                            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                              Nice! Panduit wire duct is a nice touch as well. Makes everything nice'n'neat after the covers are on.
                              Did you have to connect the four red wires to the lynx power in then move all four switches up together?
                              Good morning Scott. I did each switch one at a time. I mounted it to the board with the wire to the power in about 1 inch longer than needed. Then I placed a lug on the power in and marked where to cut the wire. It was a long and tedious process which took many hours, but it came out nicely.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Turned out very nice! Great idea with your wiring.
                                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                                X