• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Remember my link is Canadian Amazon....
    $128.35usd = $167.28cdn.
    DOH! and here I thought you were a true red neck

However Canada Amazon is still not an authorized reseller. Lots of Canada sites to choose from though. Use the link for where to buy and enter Canada in the search bar.
    Now think warm weather and use the force to buy a Cerbo GX and have everything you need. I assume you going Lithium. If you are check you batterys to see id that have cold charging protection. Will Prowse videos will help you confirm as he tests them and the fun part is he tears them apart.

As for you post in #14 if the 30 amp is enough. Depends on the panel output and how you wire them (series or parallel) Sometimes it pays to go big at first to give you expansion capability. But there is no down side to having multiple MPPT controllers as they do play well together if you set the charge parameters the same. If you post the panel specifications I am sure someone better than me at numbers can tell you

It's great to fulfill the sites purpose - spend other good folks money for them wisely...even if it beautiful Canadian paper money. Speaking of which are you changing over to King Charles on the bills?

Think warm and let the Force guide you........never mind I have been having too many Yoda Moments lately

Safe Travels
    Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

...a 30A mppt can be hooked up to 400w of panels, right?
      An MPPT solar controller will have two numbers. For example, the Victron SmartSolar 100 - 30.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	592.1 KB ID:	127148

The 100 represents the maximum input voltage the controller can handle from the array. As Keith stated, important to understand the maximum voltage ("Open Circuit Voltage") of the array. Why? Because if the array exceeds the input maximum there's a possibility of smoking the controller.

The second number is a limitation of the controller, in other words the maximum current output. The array could have more capability of providing additional power but the controller will hard limit the output to 30 amps.

Designing a solar setup is not unlike matching the "right" engine to the "right" transmission and then, to get the car to drive "right", a suitable suspension given the weight, intended use, etc.

Where to start with all this? Buy Will Prowse's book for $15 and, with a big 'ol pot of coffee to keep your Canadian self warm, read and learn. In addition to Jim's ( TucsonJim ) knowledge and Will's book I got it figured out! (But still learning.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	201.2 KB ID:	127149

I can get another ... 30a mppt and have both controllers feeding the same battery bank...right?

Yep

If you go Victron, get the SmartSolar version so you get bluetooth. The VictronConnect app is awesome IMHO.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

DOH! and here I thought you were a true red neck

Safe Travels
        Keith
        I think I'm probably as redneck as Canadians get. lol
        Hunt, fish, 4x4 truck, 7.3L big block muscle car, and more precision paper punches than most Americans..lol...and I live on 20 acres of land where I can't see any neighbours....

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          I think the Smart Solar version, which is what I have, has temp capability.

Brian
          So it can be programmed via the Victron app Howard mentioned without buying a dongle?
          2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The VictronConnect app is awesome IMHO.

Howard
            As president of the VFC, everything blue is awesome right?
            Thanks for your feedback!

2021 303RLS

Comment

So it can be programmed via the Victron app Howard mentioned without buying a dongle?
              Yes with the Victron app. Programming and watching is easy.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Yes with the Victron app. Programming and watching is easy.

Brian
                So it's a newer and/or better version than the one I linked to in post 1 I'm thinking?

PS..can we use the 'number' sign in posts now? Without creating unintended links?
                2021 303RLS

Comment

So it's a newer and/or better version than the one I linked to in post 1 I'm thinking?

PS..can we use the 'number' sign in posts now? Without creating unintended links?
                  Not newer just has Bluetooth.

Not sure about #1.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Different model line. The BlueSolar line does not have bluetooth capability. SmartSolar does. Worth every penny to get the wireless monitoring capability IMHO.

https://community.victronenergy.com/...t-solar-m.html

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I didn't realize my solar charge controller had a programmable relay. Very nice! Thanks for the suggestion

Now it just needs to be above freezing so I can turn the electrical system/batteries back on :(
                      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                      X