Actual wiring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual wiring questions

I have been reading and searching the interwebs for some time for answers to a few questions concerning wiring up from 1) batteries to converter 2) wiring from inverter to WF-8900 series panel and installing transfer switch to inverter.

1) I have never seen pictures or detailed instructions on getting the heavy positive and negative wires from the tongue mounted batteries into the front passthrough. I sure could use some help there.

2) Running 30AMP capable romex wire from inverter to power panel which resides next to the entrance door about half way back on the trailer, about 15 feet from where I plan to install the inverter in the wall of the passthrough.

3) WF makes a transfer switch report-ably to enable a transfer from shore power to gen power that mounts behind the power panel. ( it has a 30 second delay once power is applied before it switches from shore to gen) I don't need the gen part, I would like to use the gen connection from the inverter. Am I correct in assuming I can safely substitute the gen in power connection and have that power connection come from the inverter?

Anything else I'm missing or haven't thought of yet?

I plane to try and get all this worked out and installed then install the panels on the roof. I've snaked a pull string from the bedroom vent to the very small but workable gap in the top storage area and those wires will be run down the closet and into the passthrough.
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

BobinICT

There have been few threads discussing this, my install was in a fifth wheel so not a huge help on running the cables. howson has a Reflection travel trailer and would be one install to look for. Generally though I think you would run the main battery wires under the trailer and up through the floor. Most look at relocating the batteries to the pass through storage to locate them as closely as possible to the inverter.

As far as the transfer switch I would steer you to Yoda, he did a lot of research on going that route with a stand alone transfer switch. That said most of us go with an inverter/charger that has the transfer switch built in (Victron Multiplus or Magnum being the most popular here).
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

BobinICT ,
      Not sure I can help as I did not run wires from the tongue--my batteries are in the passthru. The large 2/0 and 4/0 cables are very short as the distance from the bank to the inverter is very short.

FYI, I removed the short OEM cable from the battery to the auto-reset breakers.

Be sure that the route you choose is well protected from chafing. A short from the battery cable to the trailer frame would result in a very unhappy result.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

TucsonJim -- did you change the OEM wires from your batteries? I can't remember if you have an inverter or ran new wires in your 297RSTS.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          TucsonJim -- did you change the OEM wires from your batteries? I can't remember if you have an inverter or ran new wires in your 297RSTS.
          I did run 2/0 AWG from the batteries to a buss bar, and from the bus bar to the inverter. When running from the batteries, I ran the wire under the trailer and up through the floor. You can see some of the detail here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cables.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	46602Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Ground Buss.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	46603Click image for larger version

Name:	New Interior Set Up..jpg
Views:	264
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	46604

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post

2) Running 30AMP capable romex wire from inverter to power panel which resides next to the entrance door about half way back on the trailer, about 15 feet from where I plan to install the inverter in the wall of the passthrough.
            Bob - I ran the wiring from my inverter to the breaker panel area inside Romex that I ran along the frame, then up through the floor into the breaker panel area. Here are a couple of shots. The first picture is at the inverter end. The second photo is where I terminated the Romex. From there, it went to my transfer switch and then the breaker panel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Termination.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	46606
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Termination 2.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	46610
            Attached Files
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Jim I believe you nailed it for me and thank you. I'll look at flexible conduit running from the passthrough along the frame similar to the gas line run. I really don't want to have to drop the coroplast if I can avoid it.
              Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
              TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Working...
              X