Transfer Switch Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Switch Recommendations?

I'm going to install a 50A transfer switch for when I'm running on inverter power. Any recommendations on a good reputable brand?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS

Hi Jim,

You can't go wrong with components designed and built for marine use. They won't be the cheapest, but they will be built to standards far above normal RV industry specs. I would look at Victron or Blue Seas. Not that I know for a fact that either makes auto transfer switches . . . Blue Seas certainly makes high current manual transfer switches . . . if you want to keep it simple.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I'm going to install a 50A transfer switch for when I'm running on inverter power. Any recommendations on a good reputable brand?

Thanks,

Jim
      I can't remember which inverter you have, but most of the newer inverter/charger's have a built-in ATS. And the charger section is usually better than the OEM supplied converter. Why do you need a dedicated ATS?
      2018 Solitude 310GK
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 800 amp-hour AGM battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter
      Blaine, MN

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I can't remember which inverter you have, but most of the newer inverter/charger's have a built-in ATS. And the charger section is usually better than the OEM supplied converter. Why do you need a dedicated ATS?
        Steve - I have a stand alone 2000 watt pure sine inverter. I charge my Battle Born batteries with a Progressive Dynamics lithium converter/charger. What I'm trying to do is install a transfer switch so that when I power up the inverter, it provides power to all the coach along with shutting off power to the converter/charger. I already have schematics of how I want to set it up, but just need to nail down a good quality transfer switch.

Rob. Thanks for the tip about searching for marine applications. Good idea.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2017 Reflection 297RSTS

Comment

The SmartATS I bought from AM solar is fantastic. Unfortunately they only sell it as part of a kit not as a standalone item. The best thing about it is that it provides power to both legs of the 50 amps not just 1.
          Howard & Francine +2 fur kids (Brody & Little Princess)
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum & 2006 Honda Goldwing (in truck bed using a LoadAll v3)
          2019 315RLTS towed >11K miles as of Jul '19 (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Comment

Working...
          X