Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoda's Victron MultiPlus and Solar Install - just hope I don't mess up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice, clean work Keith.

Only question I have looking at the picture is related to the positive connection on the left side of the Distributor. Is there a way to protect it? All the rest of the positives look protected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Protect.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	55293
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• Originally posted by howson View Post
      Very nice, clean work Keith.

Only question I have looking at the picture is related to the positive connection on the left side of the Distributor. Is there a way to protect it? All the rest of the positives look protected.

Name:	Protect.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	55293
      Good catch
      I can try and get a bit of heat shrink over it or get it taped. Any other suggestions?
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Yoda
        I like working with heat shrink as it makes the final result look so clean. The goal is protection, but it's satisfying when it looks good, too, don't you think?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Yoda
          I like working with heat shrink as it makes the final result look so clean. The goal is protection, but it's satisfying when it looks good, too, don't you think?
          I strongly agree. Heat shrink provides great protection; is more resilient than tape, and makes it look like a pro job. Especially if you can get red for hot and black for negative...
          2020 Imagine 2400BH
          2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Very nice, clean work Keith.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Protect.JPG Views:	52 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	55293
            bellis

Does this look better?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0601s.jpg Views:	11 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	55856 It was a real Pain to get it over the bolt as all I had available was the 4/0 cable - tool several try's to stretch it out without tearing. I also installed the two negative battery cables to the Lynx poser in bar, Only connection left is for the MPPT positive feeds to the far right lug. Will work on that today so I can at least button up the Lynx.

Keith
            Last edited by Yoda; 05-31-2021, 12:03 AM.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yoda View Post

bellis

Does this look better?

Name:	IMG_0601s.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	55856 It was a real Pain to get ti over the bolt as all I had available was the 4/0 cable - tool several try's to stretch it out without tearing. I also installed the two negative battery cables to the Lynx poser in bar, Only connection left is for the MPPT positive feeds to the far right lug. Will work on that today so I can at least button up the Lynx.

Keith
              Looks good to me!
              2020 Imagine 2400BH
              2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

• bellis This might be helpful in the future: https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Li.../dp/B0000AXNOD and it comes in colors.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  bellis This might be helpful in the future: https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Li.../dp/B0000AXNOD and it comes in colors.
                  I have never seen that before. Thanks for sharing.
                  2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

• Made some more progress yesterday.

Name:	IMG_0602s.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	56074
                    First up. Used the ground bar I installed to fix the blue nut issue, I tried to drill in a straight line, but it is a bit cramped to get to this location.

Name:	IMG_0603s.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	56075
                    I then wired in the MPPT power feeds going through their respecting circuit breakers to the Lynx power in bar- far right double connection . One is 10 awg PV wire and the other is 8 awg PV which is a real beast to work with. I found it is very brittle too. I wanted to double it over to use a larger 6 awg lug, but a lot of the wires broke when making the bend. I would say max bend is probably 90 degrees. The first MPPT controller is now fully wired and grounded.

Its tight but the Lynx cover still fits. I keep checking it as I add stuff. There is one more connection and that is the power feed fro the CERBO GX. That will be the last component I install.

Name:	IMG_0604s.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	56076 I then wired in the power feed to my secondary fuse block that powers my CPAP 12V plugs and the reverse lights I added. I installed an inline 30A fuse for safety. Need to tie it up too.

However thanks to the picture I discovered I have a problem with the primary 2/0 power feed. Its racked off the bar due to being impinged on the next connection bolt to the right. I think I will move it to the right one space. There is a bit more room. I will probably haft to fight the cable a bit too. If I were do this over I will get a flag 2/0 lug - may do that anyway depending on how the fix goes.

Tomorrow I get the vacuum back out and clean up the metal shaving before proceeding. Then finish wiring the secondary fuse block and start on the SOO cable (120V) wiring. To do that I need to add bracing/hangers in the pass through to hold the cables straight and neat. But I need to find my rivet gun for that.

More later
                    Keith

Comment

• @yoda
                      I'm tired so maybe I'm not seeing this correctly--but why is the cable with the arrows I added so big? Looks like 2/0? Ultimately it's feeding the OEM 12v circuits that use a 6ga wire to power the original circuits in the trailer. What am I missing?

Name:	why so big.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	56078

Comment

• Yoda Also why is the negative wire feeding the 5 negatives on the exposed bus so large?

Werre these left over cables just put to use?
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

@yoda
                          I'm tired so maybe I'm not seeing this correctly--but why is the cable with the arrows I added so big? Looks like 2/0? Ultimately it's feeding the OEM 12v circuits that use a 6ga wire to power the original circuits in the trailer. What am I missing?

Name:	why so big.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	56078
                          Your eyes are good it is 2/0. Its just what I had and was on the drawing earlier in the post. But you gave me an idea to make the connection work better. I have the old battery cables and they are in good shape so I can down size to the 6 awg and make it work from the switch. Could downsize going too the switch too. Thanks for catching that Howard
                          Keith

Comment

Yoda Also why is the negative wire feeding the 5 negatives on the exposed bus so large?

Werre these left over cables just put to use?
                            Joseph - good question
                            It goes back to grounding the MultiPlus cabinet (chassis). There is a good discussion earlier in this thread on component grounding. In a nut shell the MultiPlus chassis (cabinet) needs a grounding cable the same size as the input power. This covers the ultimate disaster of the positive battery feed cable (4/0) shorting to the cabinet. With this size ground 4/0 the fuse will blow before wires melt, etc.

However based on the frame ground discussion, the MultiPlus chassis ground to the frame needs to be separated a ways from the negative buss bar ground to avoid any interference with power leakage that could affect the shunt. I also needed a new frame ground for the other component chassis ground MPPT controllers (one green wire installed in picture), etc. along with the birds nest of other grounds (GD factory white wires) that were hidden under the big blue nut buried in the foam I found. Why thydid not use a small buss bar I don't know. They used one elsewhere behind the distribution panel.

So I ran to the right with the MultiPlus cabinet ground to a home made frame ground bar, and will be going to the left with the negative buss bar frame ground (located below the MultiPlus) . Its pictured in another part of this thread. I am using the negative buss bar as the tie in point for all loads so the shunt sees them correctly.

Probably clear as mud. Let me clean things up and take a bigger picture so maybe you will see what I am up to. Howard's catch above will help.

If you or others have any other questions, please ask away. Its a work in progress.
                            Thanks
                            Keith

Comment

• So that copper bus bar is grounded to the Chassis? If so then that makes sense. It's hard to tell if the copper bus is frame grounded.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

So that copper bus bar is grounded to the Chassis? If so then that makes sense. It's hard to tell if the copper bus is frame grounded.
                                Yep those two big bolts are threaded (tapped) into the frame with backing nuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X