Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoda's Victron MultiPlus and Solar Install - just hope I don't mess up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next chapter. Got the replacement 30 amp shore power exterior plug wired in and then moved on to the roof access. Scaffolding is in place, but need to add more pool noodle padding and I got my Safe-T ladder extension installed (very simple) Rain stopped me from actually getting up there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650s.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	59269

Blue pool noodle installed to protect skirt (by furnace). Need to add others against the awning roller. Scaffolding is pretty stable. Safe T ladder extension (orange) will make it easy to step through on to the top. To windy and rain to test it out. I plan to tie off the ladder at the top to the scaffolding - I want to make it snug so it cant fall down. Don't ask about that one -

Ill have DW be my spotter.

Now to put together the list of supplies I need up there and rig up the "bucket on a rope" for the stuff I forget. Not looking forward to being up there - getting too old....but its only in the mind.

Keith

Attached Files
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Well got on the roof today and look what I found.

Name:	IMG_0654s.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	59451 This is the install by the dealer. They did not use a roof box, but drilled a hole next to the vent stack. Note the hole!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant find any water damage inside as the leak probably followed the stack to the tanks through the basement

I have cleaned with rubbing alcohol (swabs) resealed it with self leveling, being sure to inject a glob in the hole and then covering and leveling up outside so it is beveled away from the vent cap. I got done just in time and just in time - its starting to rain again. Probably 30 minutes cure on the Alpha sealant. Ill recheck tomorrow.

Now a million dollar question. In the go power kit they have provided #10-16 x 1" SS screws for the roof mounting plates. 2 screws per plate about 1" apart. This is what was used on the first install. Is this OK? or should I go up to at least 1/4" or a #14. I would need to drill out the existing holes in the bracket. The existing panel secured this way shows no evidence of movement, but is slightly protected by the roof curve from the wind.

I believe I can get at lease two brackets screwed into a roof truss per panel on the upwind side. My stud finder works well on the roof.

Thoughts?

Thanks Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yoda View Post
        Now a million dollar question. In the go power kit they have provided #10-16 x 1" SS screws for the roof mounting plates. 2 screws per plate about 1" apart. This is what was used on the first install. Is this OK? or should I go up to at least 1/4" or a #14. I would need to drill out the existing holes in the bracket.
        Cate&Rob ?
        Country Campers ?
        TucsonJim ?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• Yoda
          Hi Keith,

I would think that a #10 (3/16" dia) screw would be sufficient. Into a properly drilled pilot hole in the relatively thin OSB roof, the holding power of this 3/16" screw is not going to be much different than the holding power of a similar 1/4" screw. Torque these into position by hand so that you can feel that they are biting correctly into the OSB.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Yoda
            Hi Keith,

I would think that a #10 (3/16" dia) screw would be sufficient. Into a properly drilled pilot hole in the relatively thin OSB roof, the holding power of this 3/16" screw is not going to be much different than the holding power of a similar 1/4" screw. Torque these into position by hand so that you can feel that they are biting correctly into the OSB.

Rob
            Thanks Rob. I will have mastic tape under the feet and sealant over, so they should not go anywhere.

Comment

• It's done and it works

Made the MC4 connections, turned on the MPPT 100/30 to the battery, then flipped the solar panel breaker. Touch 50 showed it is working. Its showing absorption while the 100/20 was in float showing no power to the battery. I am guessing the two will sync up at some point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0657s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	60180 Panel layout with cabling tied down. Its messy - note massive hand print to the right of vent stack . Don't ask how.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0659s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	60181
              Touch 50 screen showing its operational. Question - is there a way to remove unwanted lines from the device list like the tanks? Guess I need to read up more

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0660s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	60182 Battery is being charged. Everything looks good.

I really like the Touch 50 as I can see everything and turn the inverter on and off as needed.

Thanks everyone for the help - I would not have gotten this done without you.

BTW if you having black and gray tank vent issues, check your roof vent cap.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0656s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	60183 Its just a little nest - more was in the vent pipe itself.

Thanks again
              Keith

Last edited by Yoda; 07-10-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Yoda
                -- first, congrats!

Second, on the Touch 50 go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETUP and turn on the HAS DC SYSTEM setting. You'll see the DC power consumption with that setting enabled.

Third--thanks for the tip on the nests! Something to check when I get home.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

It's done and it works
                  WhooHoo! Good job Keith
                  Brian & Kellie
                  2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                  2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                  2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                  2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

• Keith

That has to be so gratifying to go through all of the steps and then , voila electricity at your finger tips. Good job.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• Originally posted by howson View Post
                      Yoda
                      -- first, congrats!

Second, on the Touch 50 go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETUP and turn on the HAS DC SYSTEM setting. You'll see the DC power consumption with that setting enabled.

Third--thanks for the tip on the nests! Something to check when I get home.
                      bertschb Country Campers

Thanks Howard, Brian, and Brian Appreciate you folks sticking with me to the end.

Howard
                      Thanks for the setting tip. Is there a way to remove the unused devices from the list?

On edit - found this https://community.victronenergy.com/...vice-list.html Ill give it a try and report back.

Thanks again
                      Keith
                      Last edited by Yoda; 07-10-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• howson Country Campers bertschb

OK - first new issue

Both instructions worked. I now see DC currant and the device list is clean (unused devices gone)

However the Touch 50/Cerbo GX is not fully recognizing the Multiplus 3000 after reboot. It used to say Multiplus 3000 and all settings were available. Now says Multi and did not recognize the switch setting - fixed that but other setting not available - pop up note says I need to run Victron connect.

Maybe if I plug into 110 and reboot the Cerbo GX again?

Should I try unplugging / re-plugging the connection cable between the Multi and Cerbo GX ? Do I turn the Multi off first and or the Cerbo GX? If I do this do I need to power down everything then turn it back on?

Do I just power down/up just the Cerbo GX?

Thoughts?

Thanks
                        Keith

On edit - I also just noticed it is showing my MPPT 100/20 as 48V. When I had programed it I had it set to Auto detect. I read something on the Victron blog about powering it down PV first then battery, waiting 15 minutes then power up - battery first than PV, Will this work?
                        Last edited by Yoda; 07-10-2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

howson Country Campers bertschb

OK - first new issue

Both instructions worked. I now see DC currant and the device list is clean (unused devices gone)

However the Touch 50/Cerbo GX is not fully recognizing the Multiplus 3000 after reboot. It used to say Multiplus 3000 and all settings were available. Now says Multi and did not recognize the switch setting - fixed that but other setting not available - pop up note says I need to run Victron connect.

Maybe if I plug into 110 and reboot the Cerbo GX again?

Should I try unplugging / re-plugging the connection cable between the Multi and Cerbo GX ? Do I turn the Multi off first and or the Cerbo GX? If I do this do I need to power down everything then turn it back on?

Do I just power down/up just the Cerbo GX?

Thoughts?

Thanks
                          Keith

On edit - I also just noticed it is showing my MPPT 100/20 as 48V. When I had programed it I had it set to Auto detect. I read something on the Victron blog about powering it down PV first then battery, waiting 15 minutes then power up - battery first than PV, Will this work?
                          I need screen shots showing your configuration, Keith. Label them clearly to show the applicable device.

Comment

• Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                            Nash County, NC
                            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

• Originally posted by howson View Post

I need screen shots showing your configuration, Keith. Label them clearly to show the applicable device.
                              Thanks Howard but it has been a long day. What screen shots are you looking for? Photos of the Touch 50 screen for various devices, etc? I don't have a laptop I can hook up at this time. It's on my to get list.
                              Sorry for the confusion.
                              Thanks
                              Keith

I did post the question over at the Victron question and answer site too.

Comment

• Yoda use your phone's camera--doesn't have to be perfect, just readable.

Let's start with an easy one, the BATTERY setting in the MPPT.

Name:	Screenshot_20210711-070128.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	60236

Comment

Working...
                                X