Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC amprage Victron Multiplus 3000/120/12 can deliver on 120V 15 amp circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC amprage Victron Multiplus 3000/120/12 can deliver on 120V 15 amp circuit?

My new exterior trailer plug is delayed so I am planning on rigging up a temporary pigtail to fire up the trailer. I have a 15 amp 120 volt circuit in the garage I have used before and works well running the unit while getting it ready for a trip - will even run the AC.

I picked up a 15A male end to create the connection of my extension cord. Then I got thinking if the Victron charger may overload the 15A circuit. I have the limit set to 120 amps (DC) I think - it could be less but not more. I have my batterys in and they need to be brought to full charge so I can set up the BMV 712

If I have my math right the garage circuit is capable of 1800 watts (120V X 15 amp). this equates to 150 amps DC (1800w/12v)

Just wanted to be safe - don't want to let the smoke out anywhere

Thoughts?
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith,
    Definitely keep the smoke in the wires.

On the General tab of the Multiplus' configuration, the AC input current limit should be set at 15 to match the power source's maximum capacity. Uncheck the Overruled by remote if you don't want to accidentally have the Cerbo GX override (for now, anyway) this setting.

In the pic below my Multiplus is set to 50A and the CCGX can override the setting which is very convenient.

Click image for larger version

Name:	General Tab.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	58671

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Keith,
      Definitely keep the smoke in the wires.

On the General tab of the Multiplus' configuration, the AC input current limit should be set at 15 to match the power source's maximum capacity. Uncheck the Overruled by remote if you don't want to accidentally have the Cerbo GX override (for now, anyway) this setting.

In the pic below my Multiplus is set to 50A and the CCGX can override the setting which is very convenient.

Name:	General Tab.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	58671

Howard
      Can I do this through the Touch 50, or do I need to connect up to a computer again? I used my desk top for initial programing. Laptop is in my future though. I don't have the Touch 50 installed yet (Cerbo GX is installed and wired and cable leads run for Touch 50), but could hook up the Touch 50 temporarily. Currently using the Touch 50 mounting hole to help access the PV wires to the roof. It would be a good way to test out the cable extension though. I did not program the Cerbo GX separately before install, so everything is still factory settings (did not understand it could be programed separately- my mistake)

I know right now the Multiplus is set for 30A (trailer service limit) but as I am only running the Multiplus on Charger (power assist is disabled for now) would this 30A/setting matter?

Thanks for your kind help

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
        Can I do this through the Touch 50...?
        Yes--it's the same setting. I didn't realize you had access through the Touch 50 at this point. The "remote" mentioned on the Multiplus' General tab is in your case the Cerbo/Touch 50. For me it's the CCGX.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Yes--it's the same setting. I didn't realize you had access through the Touch 50 at this point. The "remote" mentioned on the Multiplus' General tab is in your case the Cerbo/Touch 50. For me it's the CCGX.
          I don't really have access yet - have not powered up anything, but I can start with just battery power, see if the Touch 50 works and reset it. Then connect up to the garage. However I can always try the garage and leave the setting alone and see if the garage breaker trips - would that hurt anything?

Thanks
          Keith

Comment

Yeah to expand on this, with the MultiPlus when you set the AC Current input limit it will first throttle the charger to not exceed the current limit. Then if when it gets the charger to zero the current is still over the limit it jumps into assist mode and uses the inverter (drawing from the batteries obviously) to try and keep the incoming AC below the limit. Obviously all this goes on very quickly and you will not see all those steps. If you set your current limit to 15 amps (or maybe even a bit below) it should adjust the charger output accordingly.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I don't really have access yet - have not powered up anything, but I can start with just battery power, see if the Touch 50 works and reset it. Then connect up to the garage. However I can always try the garage and leave the setting alone and see if the garage breaker trips - would that hurt anything?

Thanks
              Keith
              I wouldn't fire up the inverter knowing it's set to draw more power than what the source will provide. Patience, Grandmaster, patience. Do it right the first time. Check and double-check everything.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I wouldn't fire up the inverter knowing it's set to draw more power than what the source will provide. Patience, Grandmaster, patience. Do it right the first time. Check and double-check everything.
                Yeah I've got to agree here. You'd probably be fine but I wouldn't chance it.

That said the full charger output is less than 15 amp AC, so if you had your main breaker in the rig off you should be okay, but I'd still set the current limit first before plugging in the first time.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro

In this case I'm not the grand master - just an apprentice. I am still learning.

I have the Touch 50 wired in , and ready to connect the batteries. The Multiplus switch set to OFF. I posted pictures of my final wiring in the other thread (last post), and as no one appeared to see anything I think I am ready to fire up. I have a temp 15 amp male end on the shore power in cord.

So to do the first power up I have the following steps planed out.

1. Complete wiring up the battery bank, connecting positive cables from Lynx power in first. Disconnect switches between the Lynx and battery bank will be off. I have already created two sets of 12V battery packs out of the 6V batteries and verified the voltage is correct. Negative cables would be next to connect.

2. Turn on the battery disconnect switches 1 at a time. This should power the Cerbo GX and BMV 712 with 12V. 12V connection to trailer would still be off as well as 12V to the Multiplus. The Touch 50 should turn on at this point as the Cerbo GX will be powered, but I don't think I will have access to the Multiplus as it wont be powered - correct? BMV 712 should also come on and at least give me battery voltage - Correct? Both the Cerbo GX and BMV 712 get power from the Lynx power in bar

3. Turn on the master switch to the Multiplus, Then check touch 50 for setting access. Multiplus will still be OFF but I should have access to settings - just like I did when programming - Correct? Turn on master 12V disconnected switch to trailer and make sure 12V side is powered

4. Using Touch 50 change amp limit setting in Multiplus to 15 amps - hopefully that is easy to find and do. Ill look for a video in this. I'm pretty sure Victron has one.

5. Only after the amp setting is changed to 15A and with Multiplus still off (but with 12V power), plug into the garage power. If I have read the manual correctly in the off position there should be no 120V pass through power to the trailer. Pass through 120 volt power only occurs in charger mode, or inverter on mode. - Correct? Then I plan to turn the Multiplus to charger only an check that 120V pass through occurs and the charger is working. Then let the batteries charge while watching the charge indicators and the 712 readings. I should also be checking out the Touch 50 at this point to look at what it is saying too

6. Once battery bank is fully charged charged set the BMV 712

7. Inverter test - with a full battery charge, disconnect from shore power and turn the inverter on. I plan to try and use the Touch 50 to do this. Then verify the microwave clock is running as it indicates 120V is on. Last as a test, heat some water. Then use the Touch 50 to shut everything down.

Am I missing any steps or what to look for?

Last item is to complete the install of the solar panels and verify the MPPT's are working. Again Touch 50 screen will be able to show this - correct?.

Thanks Folks
                  Keith

Comment

Yoda

Will your setup have access to the internet? If so, one of the first steps (after getting the Cerbo powered) should be to create a VRM account. You can then use VRM to update firmware to the latest versions (if the versions you have are not up-to-date). VRM is also way cool to use to check on your system from the computer in the house (or on your phone if away from the unit and just want to check what's going on).

Obviously without an internet connection VRM is nearly useless so this input may be pointless.

Changing the Input Current Limit is super easy.

On the Device List (screen on the Touch should be similar to my CCGX) choose the Multiplus and then scroll down to Input Current Limit

Name:	Device List.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	58795

Name:	INCL1.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	58796

The little triangle in the extreme lower right hand corner tells you this setting can be changed. (The Switch setting is also adjustable--see the triangle?)

After selecting the ICL setting use the - or + to adjust accordingly and click the check mark (in my case the center button on my CCGX) and the change will save.

Name:	INCL2.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	58797

It's that simple. The ICL setting should always match the capability of the Shore connection (campground pedestal, etc).

For the inverter, ensure the Switch setting via the Touch 50 is set to ON. With Shore power connected, turn the physical switch on the Multiplus on. The most likely result is it will go into Charger mode. (It won't need to invert since Shore power is available.) Once you're sure everything looks OK, turn off Shore power but leave a small AC Load on somewhere in the camper. The Multiplus should switch from Bulk (or Absorption or Float) to Inverting automatically. For now don't mess with setting the Switch setting via the Touch 50 to Inverter Only or Charger Only. (I've never used these settings--the Multiplus handles it's business great all by itself. You can think on "ON" as "Auto" mode.)

Good luck!

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

No internet connection that I know of unless it will connect by Bluetooth to my desktop in the house. I guess I just need to fire it up.
                      Keith

Comment

Yoda

Will your setup have access to the internet? If so, one of the first steps (after getting the Cerbo powered) should be to create a VRM account. You can then use VRM to update firmware to the latest versions (if the versions you have are not up-to-date). VRM is also way cool to use to check on your system from the computer in the house (or on your phone if away from the unit and just want to check what's going on).

Obviously without an internet connection VRM is nearly useless so this input may be pointless.

Changing the Input Current Limit is super easy.

On the Device List (screen on the Touch should be similar to my CCGX) choose the Multiplus and then scroll down to Input Current Limit

Name:	Device List.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	58795

Name:	INCL1.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	58796

The little triangle in the extreme lower right hand corner tells you this setting can be changed. (The Switch setting is also adjustable--see the triangle?)

After selecting the ICL setting use the - or + to adjust accordingly and click the check mark (in my case the center button on my CCGX) and the change will save.

Name:	INCL2.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	58797

It's that simple. The ICL setting should always match the capability of the Shore connection (campground pedestal, etc).

For the inverter, ensure the Switch setting via the Touch 50 is set to ON. With Shore power connected, turn the physical switch on the Multiplus on. The most likely result is it will go into Charger mode. (It won't need to invert since Shore power is available.) Once you're sure everything looks OK, turn off Shore power but leave a small AC Load on somewhere in the camper. The Multiplus should switch from Bulk (or Absorption or Float) to Inverting automatically. For now don't mess with setting the Switch setting via the Touch 50 to Inverter Only or Charger Only. (I've never used these settings--the Multiplus handles it's business great all by itself. You can think on "ON" as "Auto" mode.)

Good luck!

Howard
                        So...if I hook up a 15 amp generator...I should reduce this setting through the Touch 50 GX on the inverter? I have never done that....although I mostly use this to charge batteries up and not invert much....
                        2020 Imagine 2400BH
                        2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

bellis

"Should" as in "if you want the Multiplus' PowerControl and PowerAssist to work". If you don't change the setting the Multiplus will allow a higher amperage demand than the shore can provide. Of course what happens then is the shore circuit breaker pops.

Set the Input Current Limit to match the Shore and the Multiplus will limit the draw from Shore to 15A (PowerControl) and will provide up to an additional inverted 25A through PowerAssist.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I guess I just need to fire it up.
                            Keith

Need I say more

Keith

Comment

Good job Keith!
                              Brian & Kellie
                              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X