Do I really need an ATS? Automatic transfer switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need an ATS? Automatic transfer switch

Going to wire the inverter in the next few weeks. Very basic system. As for the ATS. When I run the generator I plug it into the shore power socket. What do you folks think?
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

No, but you’ll want a neutral bonding plug in many cases to keep your EMS from complaining and to make your rig safe.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

You can certainly plug your inverter into your shore power inlet. However, make sure you disable the converter when you do so. Typically, you can turn off the converter by turning off its circuit breaker. You never want the inverter and the converter on at the same time. It will drain your batteries very quickly.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
        No, but you’ll want a neutral bonding plug in many cases to keep your EMS from complaining and to make your rig safe.
        If you mean surge protector, I don't use it with the generator. Never saw the need.
        TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          You can certainly plug your inverter into your shore power inlet. However, make sure you disable the converter when you do so. Typically, you can turn off the converter by turning off its circuit breaker. You never want the inverter and the converter on at the same time. It will drain your batteries very quickly.

Jim
          Yes, I know about turning off the converter and yes, I have IDed the breaker for that. I plan to direct wire in the inverter to the main panel. Still need to get my head wrapped around that task.

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post

Yes, I know about turning off the converter and yes, I have IDed the breaker for that. I plan to direct wire in the inverter to the main panel. Still need to get my head wrapped around that task.
            BobinICT This direct wiring without a transfer switch to the panel is problematic. What happens if the inverter is on when you plug in shore power or a generator? It will happen. Also, how will an inverter tolerate 120v being applied to its output leads? Smoke might get out of the wires, dunno.

The simplest non-transfer switch system is to plug shore power into the inverter, remembering to shut off the converter when you do.
            Ottertail, Minnesota
            2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
            2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

BobinICT This direct wiring without a transfer switch to the panel is problematic. What happens if the inverter is on when you plug in shore power or a generator? It will happen. Also, how will an inverter tolerate 120v being applied to its output leads? Smoke might get out of the wires, dunno.

The simplest non-transfer switch system is to plug shore power into the inverter, remembering to shut off the converter when you do.
              I am leaning on doing just that and forgo doing a hard wire. Just want to make some coffee in the morning without firing up the generator and perhaps a quick microwave run no more than a couple of minutes from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post

I am leaning on doing just that and forgo doing a hard wire. Just want to make some coffee in the morning without firing up the generator and perhaps a quick microwave run no more than a couple of minutes from time to time.
                I did that same method for several years. It works well.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Get an inverter that has a builtin ATS so it will automatically switch from inverter to power pass through or bypass.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

If one plugs the inverter into the shore power port on the side of the RV there should be no way to have shore power and inverter power at the same time, yes? I think this is what the OP is after, which may be an option for me in the future as we would use an inverter very little.

The only other conflicting option is if the generator is powered on when the inverter is plug into the shore power input.

Brian

On edit if using a generator it will also have to be plugged in to the shore power port so the inverter cord would have to be removed.
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers you are correct. Having only one connection point for power would not require an ATS. Simply swap one power source for another.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

BobinICT I did a similar install for my in laws trailer. I wired up a switch in the compartment with the inverter that turns off the converter and 110V power to the fridge (which forces it into propane). Then we mounted a power outlet for the inverter in a weatherproof box on the side of the camper. He just runs the shore cord up to the outlet and plugs it in after flipping the switch. Only downside is the inverter won't run while driving (I like to cook dinner in the crock pot on drive days).
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Quick update. I started this thread because the WFCO ATS, a T-30, shipped from Amazon that was on back order. Once in hand I do like the fact it will mount directly behind on the WFCO power center. I called their tech support and I've decided to run the inverter line into the generator port of the ATS. That way I only have to run one 10/2 romax wire to get the install done. As for the inverter, I have no problem just switching the breaker off when in inverter power and, perhaps placing the fridge on propane. The fridge I'll wait on to see just how much 120 volt power it draws. I've got a pretty hefty AGM battery bank. Two 6 volt 235 AMP which so far in 7 months of living in the rig has served us well.

Comment

Working...
                          X